Author Topic: Why the Brammo hate from other electrics?  (Read 7938 times)

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Why the Brammo hate from other electrics?
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2015, 12:38:39 PM »
I take Dillard's point to be something like -- the courage required to ride a fringe bike is a reward in and of itself.  I've owned a few Moto Guzzi's, and so obviously I get off on that to some extent.  But I think there's a bigger picture point, which is to resist getting worked up about what anyone says on the internet.  About anything! 

In real life, nobody ever "makes fun of" or "dumps" on my Empulse.  I get nothing but ego-pumping feedback on it.  More, really, than I could ever have wanted, as in, hey, I'd love to chat more about my stunning electric bike, but I gotta hit the road!

I'm sorry to see Dillard go, if in fact he is done here.  He's a careful thinker who brings a useful perspective informed by experience.  On the other hand, why anyone would think this thread was in reference to them, and join the forum just to rebut it, is beyond me.  Joining a forum on a personal vendetta (real or imagine) is not a good way to start.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 12:41:53 PM by Adan »

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2015, 03:27:42 PM »
This!  ^^

OTHO, if everybody resisted getting worked up over internet posts, why 90% of YouTube comments would just evaporate! And all we'd be left with is reasoned discourse. >:(

roma258

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2015, 04:06:58 PM »
This!  ^^

OTHO, if everybody resisted getting worked up over internet posts, why 90% of YouTube comments would just evaporate! And all we'd be left with is reasoned discourse. >:(
To be fair, I'm not sure if anyone would complain if 90% of Youtube comments went away... Anyway, I'm not here to get into a personal pissing match with Ted or anyone else. Just curious to where the fissure between various electric "camps" came from. I mean, I know why you'd make fun of Harley's for example, I do it all the time! In any case, this thread was actually really informative....until it wasn't  :P
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 04:13:43 PM by roma258 »

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2015, 05:22:55 PM »
At least initially, and at many times through this thread's life cycle, the question wasn't "why are we so horrible that people hate us, I want to crawl under a rock".  It was more "I've noticed this happening, it's odd, I'm wondering why it is".  It is and was a question about anthropology, not a plea for support.  Most of us here aren't worked up just because we notice and discuss a phenomenon.  And I think the replies that showed the timeline of the announcement and delivery of the Empulse and how customers and industry players perceived those events are the most on point for what the original question was.

The word "hate" in the title may be a bit extreme, but the first post mentioned more specific behaviors and was more about asking what the back story was than a call for emotional support or response...
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

Ted Dillard

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2015, 05:57:02 PM »
On the other hand, why anyone would think this thread was in reference to them, and join the forum just to rebut it, is beyond me.  Joining a forum on a personal vendetta (real or imagine) is not a good way to start.

Thanks for the kind words, and I'm pleased to hear you appreciate the perspective.

I do want to clarify, and reading back I realized I didn't really tie this example up, but where I said "So at the outset, I feel like, because of several occasions where I call it as I see it, people who don't want to see the facts for what they are, call me a "hater"." I really was trying to simply make an example from what I've experienced.

I certainly didn't think the thread was about me...  I don't much care about rebutting anything and certainly don't have any vendettas going.  Who has time for that?   :o  (...but wait.  Does that make this a rebuttal?  :o)

I've seen several instances of Brammo "fanboys" over the several years of Brammo development (and I'm not pointing any fingers at here, and I'm pretty sure y'all would call them the same thing) doing just that.  It seems like a clear "us" and "them" culture, and I can't explain it beyond what I've already tried to do.

On the other stuff, you got my intent dead nuts on the money. 

Gotta go work now.   ::)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 06:15:18 PM by Ted Dillard »

roma258

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2015, 06:17:17 PM »
At least initially, and at many times through this thread's life cycle, the question wasn't "why are we so horrible that people hate us, I want to crawl under a rock". It was more "I've noticed this happening, it's odd, I'm wondering why it is". It is and was a question about anthropology, not a plea for support.   Most of us here aren't worked up just because we notice and discuss a phenomenon.  And I think the replies that showed the timeline of the announcement and delivery of the Empulse and how customers and industry players perceived those events are the most on point for what the original question was.

The word "hate" in the title may be a bit extreme, but the first post mentioned more specific behaviors and was more about asking what the back story was than a call for emotional support or response...
Bingo. That was always my intention at least.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2015, 03:35:50 AM »

I've seen several instances of Brammo "fanboys" over the several years of Brammo development (and I'm not pointing any fingers at here, and I'm pretty sure y'all would call them the same thing) doing just that.  It seems like a clear "us" and "them" culture, and I can't explain it beyond what I've already tried to do.

I just KNEW your finger was pointing at me, Ted! I actually was called a fanboy by you: (Last edited by teddillard; 01 March 2013 at 1539).  Question: I'm not clear what "that" refers to at the end of your first sentence above.

I'm glad we can clear this up. The original discussion occurred in this thread:

http://elmoto.net/brammo/2835-city-bike-reviews-empulse-2.html

Several folks had made what seemed to me to be unsubstantiated assertions about the Empulse's transmission and its number of gears. I weighed in based solely on my experience (1800 miles then, 23K miles now) of actually riding it in San Francisco traffic and freeways.

Admittedly I was becoming somewhat irked by the dismissive tone of such comments as:

"100% unsubstantiated BS... Ridicules [sic] statement!"

and even ad hominem attacks:

"Really... Even more BS! I don't have the energy to debate all your points- on your level."

So I responded with some verbal jousts:

"Wow how many armchair engineers here that have never ridden the Empulse? Yes, if you actually test ride one for more than 5 minutes, you will surely experience the utility of the transmission and the appropriateness of a 6-speed one to keep the motor in either the sweet spot for economy (5000 rpm) or for power (6000 or 7000 rpm for Sport mode and Normal mode. [ed: early data, since corrected to 5000 rpm for  both economy and power] Or you could remain at your computers and sling BS at a sweet motorcycle design. Whatever floats your boat."

When I tried to steer the discussion away from theory and make points based on practice, that's when you, Ted, labeled me a fanboy. I suppose I'm guilty: I really like the transmission and I really like the Empulse. But I'm not JUST a pretty face: I was actually making some assertions based on my everyday riding experience and felt that such an approach was dismissed, principally because it was about an Empulse and not a more favored brand. Or because my actual experience with the bike didn't match up with how ElMoto designers thought it SHOULD behave.

But maybe my skin was just too thin!  In general, I avoid cliques, so my getting "caught up" is probably out of character. I remember being frustrated back then that so many press write-ups of the Empulse seemed to miss the essence of the whole riding experience that so attracted me the first time on it. And every time since.

I'm truly sorry if my reaction contributed to the "hate" rap. I applaud you for coming here and am grateful for the opportunity it affords to straighten out this history between us. And I actually have returned to ElMoto now and again to make more civil contributions. I've also read several items on your blog, enough to realize that there is definitely more to you than that red devil face you posted about me being a fanboy that dared to enter ElMoto 4.0!  ;)

Also, I have less need to be right these days. I wag more and bark less.

Ted Dillard

« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2015, 05:35:04 AM »
"...doing just that" = "people who don't want to see the facts for what they are, call me a "hater"."

Please re-read my post here: http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=2898.msg21395#msg21395

"- but after discussing stuff like transmissions for fully 5 years, with some very knowledgeable engineers contributing, to have an Empulse owner get on with little or no knowledge of the physics and simply parrot what Brammo was touting rubbed a lot of people the wrong way."

Subjective accounts without hard data was completely counter-productive to what we were trying to accomplish.  And 5 years of "verbal jousting" gets a little old, especially when someone in your position could have called up Richard and run some numbers.   :P

(Of course, the server is down again, so I can't see that link, but thanks for posting it. I'd tried to find it to post it here.) 

edit:  Perfect example.  The post you were responding to was by a guy who is one of the foremost bike and powertrain designers and engineers on the planet.  You'd know him by name.  His forum style leaves a lot to be desired, and he came close to being banned, but if you don't pay attention to what he's saying you're going to be missing some brilliant engineering experience.  Of course, you wouldn't know this if you weren't privvy to several years of his posts (and substantiated it by doing an IP search as a moderator).  He also does seem to have a very personal beef with Brammo, and I can only guess why that is.  At one point he gave me some very nasty information about Brammo and told me I should post it on the forum, and I told him to stop being a bitch and post it himself if he believed it was true.  He didn't.   

Three other of the responders were some pretty respectable talents in their own rights.  Nuts and Volts is one of the builders of the first Ohio State Buckeye Current IOM bike.  So right off, you're strolling into a party where some of the top engineering talent on the forum (really, in the world) is chatting away, and you decided to come out swinging in your very first sentence.  Every one of the guys who you called "armchair engineers" have built several bikes each.  They've all built bikes that are 120mph+, too.  These are garage built bikes that can smoke both an Empulse and a '14 Zero SR. 

Here, for the record, is my response to your post: http://elmoto.net/brammo/2835-city-bike-reviews-empulse-2.html#post35882  "liked" by ElmotoMaster - Mike, the owner of the forum. 

Here also is "mechanic"s response with some very solid engineering information: http://elmoto.net/brammo/2835-city-bike-reviews-empulse-2.html#post35888  Seriously, if you knew who he was, you'd lock yourself in the closet crying.  :D

Keep in mind, that entire thread, and the one here as well, was spawned by a review where the writer had the nerve to find fault with Brammo's precious transmission.  It was joined by two relative newcomers, you and flar, both Empulse owners and not builders or engineers. 

So, yeah.  Have I cleared that up?   8)

Speaking of the thread here, this post, by the way, astounded me, in that it was coming from one of the top management of Brammo:
I think elmoto is more of a home for diy builders at this point. Zero owners seem to have adopted electricmotorcycleforum.com as their go to the forum and other diyers collect on endlesssphere.com too.
I'm just glad that this remains the fortress of solitude for Brammo owners.

Agreed.  I really appreciate the opinions and constructive debate that takes place on this forum.  I noticed the attempts to recover the conversation over on the elmoto forum, but I'm afraid that they are too far gone... we must leave them behind to slave in their garages and curse every idea that is not their own.  It was obvious that the better the Empulse turned out to be, the more angry they would become.  So... I'm glad they're pissed.

Really?  How can Brammo (and yes, Brian equates to Brammo - he can't have it both ways, though he's tried to for years now) make a post like this and not piss people off?  Even after a nice, civil email exchange (we've been exchanging emails for years), I pretty much resigned myself to being labeled a "hater" by them.

What Brian conveniently forgets to mention was the days back when he was getting some great advice and feedback from those angry garage builders - a few of them still in the group in that very thread.   ;D

As long as I keep getting sucked back on this thread, I'll add I think a lot of the "us vs them" mentality at Brammo comes also from the racing efforts.  It's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of racing, and I've seen it in both the fanboy posts as well as in Brian's posts.  I think it's impossible to leave the competition at the track, and in the case of the fans, some of the most amazingly ignorant and offensive crap is posted discussing the tech and brand once it's "your team", as well as "your brand". 

I also have read repeated statements about how racing has helped the development of the tech.  I'd like some hard examples of that.  The 2014 Zero SR, and now the 2015 is arguably fully on par with the tech of the Empulse, and fully on par from a performance standpoint with no company racing program, and Brammo has not offered any upgrades in the Empulse for two years now.  Where's all that drivetrain R/D going? 

Please don't come out of the gate swinging in response to this, just give me some facts I can believe. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 08:14:44 AM by Ted Dillard »

Ted Dillard

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2015, 08:25:22 AM »
...and now I think I'll cut and paste this entire thread for IEVs, in response to my editor saying "WTF have you been doing and why don't we have any stories from you?"  :D :D :D

Ted Dillard

« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2015, 03:21:19 PM »
MORE smack-talk by Zero execs ("reps"): 
http://insideevs.com/zero-welcomes-harley-polaris-electric-motorcycle-market-wvideo/

...oh wait.  No.   :P

dbsuperbiker

• Enciter
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2015, 11:12:19 PM »
I am a fan of electric motorcycles...Zeros, Brammos, conversions, prototypes, or whatever...and I love racing.

As far as racing improving the breed...with first hand experience, I can say the Brammo racing program has directly influenced a Parker built motor with different windings, that is faster and more energy efficient than the earlier version.
This is not the only item, merely an example to share a specific instance where Brammo has made improvements in the past 2 years.
This newer motor works better with the standard Sevcon controller than the earlier motor, and is standard in the most recent Empulse Rs.

The Zero racebikes on the FIM grid of 2013 were testing technologies, witness the presence and involvement of several of their engineers. We expect to welcome more Zeros in the eMotoRacing series in 2015.
Quite a few more university prototypes are also on the horizon.

Everyone is working to improve their bikes...Brammo, Virginia Tech, Zero, Kennesaw State, etc, and privateers like myself. Just because strategies vary doesn't mean nothing is happening.

Lets support each other, advance the technologies, and make the bikes and the sport better.

Ted Dillard

« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2015, 05:09:25 AM »
To be clear: to my knowledge, Zero has not fielded a "factory" race team, as Brammo has, for since 2010.  Is that correct? 

Also, I really don't want to start a "racing improves the breed" discussion here - it's as old as debate as the first guy who raced whatever-had-a-motor-in-it trying to get his wife to let him do it again.  :D  I for one find it refreshing when Brian gets on and says "...and because it's fun and I like it" - as you did, Arthur.

...just looking for specifics.  And thanks for that one. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 05:11:11 AM by Ted Dillard »

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2015, 12:19:47 AM »
To be clear: to my knowledge, Zero has not fielded a "factory" race team, as Brammo has, for since 2010.  Is that correct?

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/ttxgp/

Zero officially sponsored the 2012 S streetbikes in eSuperStock, as well as both a factory team and the K Squared privateer team in 2010.

And while Zero did not officially field a factory team in 2013, Kenyon Kluge (Zero's director of EE) was riding a 2014 SR prototype at Indy eGrandPrix 2013. That might not quite be a factory race team, but it's a level of access that an unaffiliated privateer team likely would not have.

Zero has also used Laguna Seca Refuel to test drivetrain prototypes for the next year's production bikes; at least in 2011 (testing the 2012 AC motor), 2012 (testing the 2013 100V powertrain and ZF motors), 2013 (testing the size 6).

What they haven't done is a field a megabuck prototype or hire professional racers.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Ted Dillard

« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2015, 05:25:18 AM »
Thanks.  That's pretty much what I understood to be the case, though I wonder what exactly "...Zero Motorcycles was the first manufacturer to enter... " means.

What they haven't done is a field a megabuck prototype or hire professional racers.

...or have Zero Girls.   ::)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 05:48:36 AM by Ted Dillard »

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2015, 02:44:23 PM »
The bikes Brammo built for racing don't use gearboxes.

Don't think for a minute that if Brian had the resources he wouldn't put a transmission on the RR. ;)

I have had the privilege of talking to Brian quite a bit in 2012 and 2013 when I started my blog and podcast. And most of those conversations are recorded and ready for listening or downloading. I see a lot of "Marketing" references to Brammo's transmission. I cannot speak for the rest of Brammo but I say with confidence that Brian doesn't feel that way at all. They put a transmission on there for a reason. And there is also a reason it is 6 speeds and not 3. Reasons I am just plumb tired of saying. But Brammo is not the only elmoto with a transmission, nor are they the ones who came up with it. I think it relates a whole lot more to their racing focus than anything. But I remember the early day of EV conversions and people keeping the transmissions in their project cars, back before we had all this power available. But lets look at what's going in Forumla-e. Oh what? Electric race cars with 5 speed transmissions? What? What's next same sex marriage? Oh, wait . . .

As far as Brammo hate, I think the whole late production thing really hurt them, as Protomech pointed out. Also pride and passion. But I kind of wonder, Brammo has had this big racing effort and cool prototype bikes, and Zero has Kenyon Kluge and some hard core engineers that they occasionally get thrown a bone (also recorded conversations in podcast form). I wonder if that has anything to do with it.