Author Topic: Kawasaki's hybrid motorcycle concept  (Read 538 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Kawasaki's hybrid motorcycle concept
« on: September 16, 2021, 09:30:37 AM »
Kawasaki is working on a new very complicated hybrid motorcycle concept. It apparently uses an electric motor to both power a supercharger for its gas-powered engine and can also act as a propulsion motor at times. My guess is that Kawasaki engineers have run out of projects and were given this one to keep them busy for the next few years.   ::)
https://www.motorcycle.com/patents/kawasaki-is-developing-a-hybrid-motorcycle-with-an-electric-supercharger.html
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kawasaki's hybrid motorcycle concept
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 04:26:04 AM »
I think it makes sense to have a range extender on a motorcycle.  I've had my Rav4 Prime for a couple weeks and I love it not having to worry about charging all the time.  The charging infrastructure is still pretty crappy, doing long trips with a hybrid is much less stressful than a straight EV. 

From that article it sounds like they want to use the electric motor and battery to create a boost for the motorcycle.  It's similar to Honda's IMA hybrid system.  It would use the motor to regen and create a boost in power for the ICE motor. 

I know they were working on some kinda hybrid gas electric motorcycle
2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139