Author Topic: H2 vs electric power analysis  (Read 240 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
H2 vs electric power analysis
« on: February 16, 2022, 05:44:34 PM »
This analysis by Electrek shows that electric power used for transportation is more efficient and is much less expensive to establish the refueling infrastructure than it would be for H2 power. They claim that fuel cells have been pretty much abandoned by vehicle manufacturers: https://electrek.co/2022/02/15/study-hydrogen-fuel-cells-cannot-catch-up-battery-electric-vehicles/
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: H2 vs electric power analysis
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 06:35:55 PM »
Electrek is so biased against anything but EVs like PHEVs.  But from research I did when I was in college EVs are like 80-90% efficient and H2 is like 60% efficient.  ICE is like 20% efficient.  That is the energy from the fuel is used to make the wheels turn. 

They are talking about the production of the H2.  H2 has a lot going for it.  Fast refill, long range, lighter weight, less battery waste, etc... 

After owning an electric motorcycle and now a PHEV I can't see how electric vehicles will work out for people living in apartments it's just a terrible inconveniences.  It costs a lot to fast charge too.  It only works well if you own a place you can charge your vehicle and even better if you have solar panels.  I'm fortunate enough to have those.  The FCEV solves all those problems.  The problems is the infrastructure needs to get better, they need to find a more efficient way to harvest and refine the H2.  For EVs they need to find a way to make the batteries more dense in power so you don't need as many batteries and find a way to charge them faster.

2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: H2 vs electric power analysis
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 08:29:56 PM »
Electrek is so biased against anything but EVs like PHEVs.  But from research I did when I was in college EVs are like 80-90% efficient and H2 is like 60% efficient.  ICE is like 20% efficient.  That is the energy from the fuel is used to make the wheels turn. 

They are talking about the production of the H2.  H2 has a lot going for it.  Fast refill, long range, lighter weight, less battery waste, etc... 

After owning an electric motorcycle and now a PHEV I can't see how electric vehicles will work out for people living in apartments it's just a terrible inconveniences.  It costs a lot to fast charge too.  It only works well if you own a place you can charge your vehicle and even better if you have solar panels.  I'm fortunate enough to have those.  The FCEV solves all those problems.  The problems is the infrastructure needs to get better, they need to find a more efficient way to harvest and refine the H2.  For EVs they need to find a way to make the batteries more dense in power so you don't need as many batteries and find a way to charge them faster.

You make some good points. But from my observation, fueling private automobiles with H2 looks to be a dead duck to me. But it might work out for large commercial vehicles, long-haul trucks, trains and maybe aircraft.  ???
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.