Author Topic: Charging Question with my Enertia  (Read 1604 times)

hbrider

• View Profile
    • Email
Charging Question with my Enertia
« on: November 15, 2011, 01:42:09 PM »
Rode into work today on my new to me Enertia.  10 mile ride about 1/2 at 60 rest on boulevard at 45.  I used up 54% of the battery???  Is this typical?

My actual question is that I charged battery back up in 2 hours but now its toggling between 100% charged and 98% charged.  Is this normal?  Is this the balancing phase of the charger?  Should I leave it plugged in and will this improve the balancing ?

Thanks,
Steve
HBRIDER

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Charging Question with my Enertia
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 01:47:18 PM »
Could be, could be, yes, yes, yes.

The "1/2 at 60" really sucks your battery.  You are using an immense amount of power just to push you and the bike through the air.  I commute on surface streets, mostly -- average speed about 35-40, with a one-way trip of about 12 miles.  I arrive at work with my battery showing about 66% remaining.  I could ride in via the highway, but unless I knew for sure I could charge at work (usually, I can't), I avoid the highways.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 01:52:07 PM »
Brammofan will be better answering this...but I will try and he can correct me...

When fully charged the fan will go off and the panel should show it at 100 or 99%, toggling back and forth...leaving it on helps balance the batteries...

My test ride to work was 5.2 miles at 35 mph....I show up to work at 85%....heading home I ride a bit faster...get home at 10.4 miles of city riding and about 65% charge...did some errands...at 15 miles I was at 53%...

so about 32 miles range with kinda fast city riding (I am not light on the throttle)....60 mph would give maybe 20 miles...so using half your battery at highwayish speeds in 10 miles seems about right...

one of the reasons I'm going Plus....yes the Enertia is fine for my daily riding (really 15 miles a day most days), but I like to do extra riding and I like to go kinda fast...

Gavin

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 02:10:35 PM »
Re: the 99-100 toggling - it happens all night long if you leave it in, charging.  Brian has stated that this is a good thing for the battery.

To see a more detailed display of what's going on during the charge, hold the tank button down for 10 seconds (or until the display changes) during a charge.  The top line shows the present capacity or amount of kwh? or ? of the H = highest cell and the L= lowest cell.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 03:16:18 PM »

I will be claiming this dirty wall socket in the hospital parking garage in the name of Spain....or something dramatic like that...

Actually I plan to go to the security office and explain that for about 10 cents a day electricity they will be able to say they are so green....and if that doesn't work I will probably grovel a bit...

:)

Gavin

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 05:30:58 PM »
mmmm, I do like the Black Widow egg sac hanging down by the screen...

G

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 10:59:09 AM »
well security told me I can use any plug in the parking garage...well except that one as they use it for their electric patient transport vehicles...

still nice to know...and i will look around the garage to see where the other plugs are...supposedly several...

sadly none in the motorcycle parking area, but I was told I can park in a car spot if I want to charge.

Gavin

hbrider

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 02:24:52 PM »
OK, I use the hold down the tank button feature to get more detailed info on the battery pack.  I assume the cells are numbered from 1 to 24 and for instance the displays shows L02 and H08 means that its referring to the low cell number is number 2 and the high cell is number 8?

How do I reset the clock?  We are in daylight savings mode here in CA and my clock needs to be adjusted? 

Any other cool features that can be accessed on the onboard system?

Thanks,
Steve

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 03:10:24 PM »
http://brammo.com/documents/brammo-owners-manual.pdf

page 23

turn key to charge...push and hold DASH MODE button
Push and hold Tank Button