3 (27.3%)
it looks better
0 (0%)
it's faster
5 (45.5%)
it can go farther
3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Enertia vs. Empulse  (Read 2067 times)

1lesscar

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Enertia vs. Empulse
« on: March 13, 2011, 02:04:03 AM »
If the Empulse did not exist, I would not be interested in Brammo. I choose option 1.  :-*

Homer Jay

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Enertia vs. Empulse
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 01:32:18 PM »
In addition to the Empulse being an electric motorcycle that can handle my commute to work, I am interested in its sportbike capabilities for track days.  I'm not too concerned if the final version is not as sport oriented because...well

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it.  We have the technology....

I like the base suspension.  Its fully adjustable and the tires are a good size and width.  I'm certain with a little tooling I can get some Ohlins, Penske, or other nice bits to fit.  May have to fabricate the triple clamp and such.  I've already started the planning and design for my own fairing (I'll keep you guys updated on this as it proceeds).

1lesscar

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 04:30:54 PM »
 8)    Exactly what I've been thinking.  :o

brammoHKjames

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 10:46:24 PM »
For the sake of a balanced argument, what do you see the pro's and con's of both Enertia and Empulse?  In what situation would you chose Enertia over an Empulse, or who do you see as the customer base?

Would appreciate your feedback.  Thanks!!!

1lesscar

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 11:20:55 PM »
imho,

A sport bike rider considering an E-bike would NEVER live with an Enertia.

A scooter rider may consider an Enertia for an E-bike.

1lesscar

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 11:25:13 PM »
The Empulse is suppose to do EVERTHING better than the Enertia and it can come close to some gasoline sport bikes in style and handling. So, for me there is no pro for the Enertia.

I would chose the Enertia only if it was temporary for when my Empulse is out of order. The Enertia is still better than a gasoline car, imo.

For the sake of a balanced argument, what do you see the pro's and con's of both Enertia and Empulse?  In what situation would you chose Enertia over an Empulse, or who do you see as the customer base?

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 01:27:56 AM »
I see the Empulse as the Tesla Roadster of the biking world: It's an exciting machine that will change people's idea of what an electric bike is. The Enertia seems more like what people used to see as an electric vehicle: The funky looking, underpowered, limited range machine that some tofu eating tree hugger is driving in order to feel smug about the rest of us gas guzzling polluters.

I'm being a bit unfair about the Enertia, but to me, that bike is shouting "Compromise!" The Empulse, with it's speed and looks is much less of a compromise. I get a fun, high performance bike with a decent range. The only drawback (and it's a pretty big one) is the recharge time, but in exchange, I get to stick it to the gas companies (which would make me very happy! ;D)
Richard #935 #595 #44

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 01:48:22 AM »

If you're looking for pro's for the Enertia over the Empulse, here's what I think they are:
  • Cost! - If I want to stick it to the gas companies, but I'm less concerned about range, speed and looks, then I would definitely go with the much cheaper Enertia.
  • Comfort? - The Enertia looks like it would be a bit more comfortable to ride, as the rider is more upright.
  • Ease? - I would expect the Enertia to be a bit easier to ride, since it's much lighter than the Empulse.

I would probably choose the Enertia if I didn't need a bike that could travel over 80 miles on the highway. In any case, an electric bike does not currently make economic sense. For the same price as an electric bike, I could buy a gas bike with similar performance, and enough gas to last me several years.
I would expect the customer base to be people who, like me, are either fed up with gas companies, or concerned about pollution, to such an extent that they are willing to pay a bunch extra to do something about the situation.
Richard #935 #595 #44

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 08:58:59 AM »
Good to have options...I think sports bikes are ugly and uncomfortable...so I don't buy them...doesn't mean the people who do are wrong...just that they have horrid taste :)

The Enertia will sell ok in the States...and will sell like crazy in Europe and Asia. Just a better city bike. Smaller, lighter and nimble sells well in Europe and Asia (cheaper helps too)...and that is where most motorcycles are sold anyways. (gah, the numbers of bikes sold in the states is actually scary small)

The Empulse will sell ok in the States (yes sports bikes are fairly popular, but most young people want to pay very little for their bikes...the Empulse is competing with a lot of inexpensive and even cheap 650 bikes). But the Empulse won't do as well in Europe and Asia (maybe ok in Japan and Australia).

But please still make both. Lots of Enertias--many for Europe and Asia, a few for the States and Canada---and a fair amount of Empulses--a few for the States and a few for Europe, Japan and down under---

If you're looking to convert a lot of Suzuki 650 people to the Empulse, well that will be hard to do. If you're looking to get some of the "green" people to go Motorcycle for the first time in their lives...well that will be hard to do too :)  But the Enertia is more a "first bike" and a very friendly city bike.

Of course make both, sell both and see how they do. Hopefully they both sell well...less gas = better world.

Gavin
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 09:30:14 AM by Gavin »

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 10:46:41 AM »
If you're looking for pro's for the Enertia over the Empulse, here's what I think they are:
  • Cost! - If I want to stick it to the gas companies, but I'm less concerned about range, speed and looks, then I would definitely go with the much cheaper Enertia.
  • Comfort? - The Enertia looks like it would be a bit more comfortable to ride, as the rider is more upright.
  • Ease? - I would expect the Enertia to be a bit easier to ride, since it's much lighter than the Empulse.

I would probably choose the Enertia if I didn't need a bike that could travel over 80 miles on the highway. In any case, an electric bike does not currently make economic sense. For the same price as an electric bike, I could buy a gas bike with similar performance, and enough gas to last me several years.
I would expect the customer base to be people who, like me, are either fed up with gas companies, or concerned about pollution, to such an extent that they are willing to pay a bunch extra to do something about the situation.

$8k (enertia 3.1) vs $9k (enertia 6.0) vs $10k (empulse 6.0) isn't a huge difference, in the grand scheme of things.

The enertia is a little lighter (320 lbs vs 360 lbs). The ergonomics look to be more suited for comfort than for sport riding.

The big thing with the Enertia is that it's not fast enough for safe freeway operation. Where I live, freeways are a requirement for roughly 50% of my destinations; surface roads are available, but typically increase travel time by 50-100%, and are less safe for the motorcyclist (many more cars entering and exiting the road).

The secondary thing for me is the air cooling in the Enertia 3.1 is pretty obtrusive. I'd like to minimize my noise pollution, too. I'm interested in the changes they made for the Enertia 6.0 .. air-cooling has some major benefits (lighter, simpler, cheaper system) but probably isn't performant enough for the Empulse.

The Empulse is a prettier bike by a fair bit, but to be honest when I'm riding the bike it's a non-issue.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 11:06:31 AM »
Yeah, I'm hoping the Plus gets a bit of a speed boost...even just 70 mph top speed would be fine...75 better :)

That said, I don't do much daily highway riding*...and when I do, well heck I've ridden my 150cc scooter many many miles on the highway...and she only does 62mph when in a deep tuck :)

So for my city driving with occasional hops on the freeway, even the Enertia is fine...the Plus will be fine too, just want a few more MPH on the top end...don't need, but want

The Enertia is a prettier bike by a fair bit, but to be honest when I'm riding the bike it's a non-issue. :)

Gavin

*and when I do my 500 mile highway trips I will use my bigger scooter anyways...couldn't see riding 8 straight hours on any Empulse style bike...but that's just me...too uncomfortable riding like that for 500 miles...at least for me
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 11:46:28 AM by Gavin »

WanderLust

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 04:51:27 PM »
@ Gavin - but then again, if you wanted to do 500 miles on an Empulse, you'd probably be spending more time waiting for it to charge... :P

I've been following Brammo since I saw the Enertia on Cnet (yes I'm a techie :D)
It did seem like an interesting bike for getting around town, but didn't meet my needs at the time. Had I lived in downtown San Francisco instead of the burbs, things may well have turned out differently.

I pre-ordered the Empulse 10.0 because it gave me the opportunity to get back to riding bikes in a green way, without 'range anxiety' on most days. It costs as much as a Ducati Monster 1100 EVO after tax rebates, with the performance of the lesser Ducati Monster 696 (which don't get me wrong is still a beautiful machine), but that's the price one pays for being an early adopter.

I think it's a looker, has enough power and range for most people. How many people really commute 100 miles a day?

I used to ride 100-180 cc scooters/bikes when I was in college, and I think performance wise, this is closer to a 600-700cc bike, which I think is a great starter bike...Especially for someone my size (I'm slightly north of 6'1)
I think ebikes would make especially good starter bikes, because there are no gears to contend with, just start, twist the throttle and you're off... The Empulse more so IMHO.

@FreepZ - I think being called the Tesla Roadster of ebikes is quite a compliment, and if any ebike in 2011 deserves it, it's the Empulse, I only hope it lives up to it.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 12:16:16 PM by WanderLust »

webman

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 03:08:49 PM »
didn't vote on this, because comparing the two is like comparing oranges and steak; both are good, but don't have that much in common.

If I had to own only one bike, I'd probably choose the empulse.  If I were to keep an ICE bike around, the enertia plus would make an ideal daily-rider for me, with the ICE bike for longer, higher-speed rides.

I don't know why some people here aren't as fond of the enertia's styling; I actually think it's a better-resolved design.  I think that with a little bit of a 'tail tuck' that the empulse would be perfect, too; different mission, different look.  I REALLY like the way the frame/battery/'tank' portion of the empulse looks.
webman, aka eric

brammo vehicle desired:  Empulse 8.0
current rides:  '97 yamaha seca II (low miles, but beater)
'06 honda metro (wife's bike, mostly)
previous bikes:
'97 ducati monster 750
'91 yamaha FZR600
'84 Honda VF750 Interceptor