Author Topic: System Fault B9  (Read 2619 times)

Mattiboy

• View Profile
System Fault B9
« on: June 08, 2021, 12:31:01 AM »
Hello,

I have a 2016 Victory Empulse TT, purchased on 01/19/2017
I have reviewed most of the threads relating to error codes on this forum as well as the victory forum itself, and I am still left with some questions.  For almost a year now I have had a perpetual "System Fault B9" on the dash with the accompanying red triangle. The bike has never been ridden in the rain.

Additionally, most of the time when the battery state of charge gets below 40% and I accelerate hard there is reduced power (even in sport mode) and a High Battery Temp Warning and the red battery icon flashes.  One time on the freeway the bike had an immediate drop from 15% to 0% and powered itself down.  I am able to charge back up to 100% so I am assuming the cells are balancing themselves.  Is there anyway to reset/cancel the B9 fault codes? what is I disconnect the main battery cable on the bike Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers

EV promise

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Re: System Fault B9
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 01:15:29 PM »
Hi, sad to hear about your troubles. As B9 error is not shown in the manual and looking through the forum shows possible moisture fault, not clear where to look, I would download the most recent logs from the bikes tiny USB stick ( in the red rubber  sleeve under the seat)  and see what shows. There is a reader on here, it converts the log ( drv or chg ) to Excel csv file so it can be read. Or post one of them on here for comment.
Brammo Empulse R 2014
Aprilia Shiver 900 2018
Ducati 750SS 1997

EV promise

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 01:25:28 PM »
Just one more thought, if you look at the logs. Freeze the top line and scroll across to battery moisture levels. Should be around 40%, 50% maybe but not 85-90% on any of the cells.
Brammo Empulse R 2014
Aprilia Shiver 900 2018
Ducati 750SS 1997

Mattiboy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 05:50:55 PM »
Thats great info thanks.  Where can I download the reader?

gunterfalstaff

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2021, 06:15:58 PM »
Did you ever get this figured out?  I'm also getting a B9 error when charging but it doesn't prevent me from charging... yet.

Curious if you figured yours out.

Here's a short clip of what mine is doing.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y9QoGpS7QMZrVejMA

KaFr

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2021, 01:35:54 AM »
If error B9 appears on the display, it means that the maximum relative humidity inside one of the battery modules is significantly higher than the minimum relative humidity in another module. Usually the highest value of relative humidity is in module number 5 and the lowest is in module number 1.

The relative humidity inside the modules increases or decreases while driving or parking. It depends on the relative humidity of the surroundings. The aim is therefore to reduce its value to an acceptable level.

I therefore recommend analyzing the relative humidity values ​​from the LOG data on the flash drive.

The Empulse LOG file converter can be downloaded here:
http://www.environ-systems.de/brammo-empulse-r.html

If it does not work, you must also install the Brammo Enertia diagnostic software on your computer.
Ovaobike MCR-M 2022 #24
Victory Empulse TT 2016 #150
Brammo Enertia Plus 2013 #205
Peugeot E-Vivacity 2012 #978
Renault Fluence Z.E. 2012

gunterfalstaff

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 04:11:47 PM »
Thanks for the response KaFr!

How do I fix the error then? What can be done to reduce the moisture content in the battery?

KaFr

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2021, 05:03:10 PM »
It is strange that error B9 is not listed in the LOG files at all. Maybe it's because the error only flashes briefly on the display and then disappears again, so it is not enough to record in the logs.

In any case, moisture can only get in or out of the module package through the communication connector on the front of each package (module number 4 and 5).

To prevent moisture from getting inside, I would recommend better sealing the communication connectors on the outside where the wires enter it. For example, using silicone sealant.

To get the moisture out, it occurs to me to disconnect the communication connector and use a vacuum cleaner on it. However, the humidity of the ambient air must be lower than the humidity inside the package.

If that doesn't help, there's no choice but to take the module pack out of the bike and open it. Of course in a room where the relative humidity is very low (about 30%).
Ovaobike MCR-M 2022 #24

KaFr

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2021, 05:10:14 PM »
I found a picture from the Brammo factory, where you can see the top package of four modules for the Victory Empulse TT with the top cover removed.
Ovaobike MCR-M 2022 #24

KaFr

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2022, 03:36:41 PM »
I have good news for all Victory Empulse TT owners who are bothered by the B9 error message.

Last summer it also affected me, I had a relative humidity of around 67% in module 5 and B9 occasionally flashed on the speedometer. Since then, I have managed to reduce the maximum humidity to 60% and the B9 error has stopped appearing.

I found that it depends a lot on the relative humidity of the surroundings while driving and also during long-term parking.

Worst options for increasing humidity:
- driving in rain or humid environments
- Parking in a humid environment, especially when the battery is warm after driving

Humidity reduction:
- frequent charging
- driving in a dry environment
- allow the battery to cool in a dry environment
- long-term storage in a dry environment

Suspicious places for moisture to enter the module:
- communication connector on the front wall
- screw holes on the top cover
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 03:42:43 PM by KaFr »
Ovaobike MCR-M 2022 #24

new-brammo-guy

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2022, 07:03:53 AM »
Hi KaFr, do you have any pictures of where you vacuumed out the moisture and the sealing you did? I have a 2016 Victory Empulse TT with 4k miles and my relative humidity is high in M5, M6 & M7 (below). Not sure if it's related, but my Module 6 Cell Temp is showing 90C (below) and causing multiple faults (below).

Relative Humidity
M1 Relative Humidity (%)   M2 Relative Humidity (%)   M3 Relative Humidity (%)   M4 Relative Humidity (%)   M5 Relative Humidity (%)   M6 Relative Humidity (%)   M7 Relative Humidity (%)

50   45   51   47   67   70   68

Cell Temps
Module 1 Cell Temperature (C)   Module 2 Cell Temperature (C)   Module 3 Cell Temperature (C)   Module 4 Cell Temperature (C)   Module 5 Cell Temperature (C)   Module 6 Cell Temperature (C)   Module 7 Cell Temperature (C)
25   25   25   25   24   90   24

Faults
SYSTEM FAULT B8  : Battery Fault: Temperature Sensor Failure | BATTERY TOO HOT  : Battery Fault: Over Temperature Shutdown    with different temperature limit for Drive or Charge | KICKSTAND DOWN : Kickstand is down in Drive Mode | SYSTEM FAULT B40  : BMS Back in Idle Mode

Thanks a lot!

KaFr

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2022, 04:54:49 PM »
Hi new-brammo-guy,
I only have a photo of the BMS connector on the upper module, but i made a photo of the BMS connector on the lower module from HadesOmega's video when he was changing the coolant.

BMS connectors have a total of 12 pins. On the upper module all pins are used, while on the lower module three pins are unused. Instead, plastic blanking pins are inserted into the empty holes of the connector.

If you take out these plastic pins, you can use those holes to try to suck moisture from the internal space of the module.
Another alternative for suction is the plastic cover of the LED indicator, which should be unscrewed, since it has a hex head. However, I am not sure if it is not glued to the front wall of the module or secured by a nut from the inside.

Please let me know if you managed to reduce the humidity by vacuuming the inside of the module through the BMS connector or the LED indicator cover.
Ovaobike MCR-M 2022 #24