Author Topic: Not charging or turning on  (Read 1655 times)

Bvolz

• View Profile
    • Email
Not charging or turning on
« on: June 02, 2021, 12:23:14 PM »
I recently bought a Victory Empulse. It worked great for a few weeks but then this happened. We were out for a ride. I was running low on charge (18%) and almost to a charging station. Suddenly the charge level went to 0% but it still had power. I pulled into the charging station, turned the bike off and connected to the charger. It started charging and we walked away. A little while later I got a txt stating that the bike was taking very little charge and maybe it was finished charging. We walked back to the bike to find the display dark and the bike not charging. Turning the key to on did nothing. Next day I checked the fuses. The three fuses on the High Voltage side associated with the charging system were open. These are the 15a/125v fuses.

I

KaFr

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Not charging or turning on
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 05:26:34 PM »
If the SoC suddenly drops, it is a sign of an imbalance between the upper and lower modules or the lower SoH of one of the modules.

When you were charging at the charging station, how many Amperes were shown on the display? We have a standard of 24A on the charging station and 17A via EVSE.
Ovaobike MCR-M 2022 #24
Victory Empulse TT 2016 #150
Brammo Enertia Plus 2013 #205
Peugeot E-Vivacity 2012 #978
Renault Fluence Z.E. 2012

Bvolz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 05:52:26 AM »
Unfortunately I did not take notice of the Amperes on the display at the charging station. I do know that it is a 6.6 kw charging station. I know there is not much to go on here but what do you suggest my next steps are to bring this bike back online? 
Thanks for the reply.

EV promise

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 09:46:10 AM »
Hi, sad to hear about your troubles. As the fault occurred during charging I'd remove the tank covers and look next to the 125v fuse box for the black and red Anderson connectors, you can follow the cable from the charger. The other side of the Anderson connectors go into the fuse box. Mine were melted but not burnt of touching. I replaced the connectors and have not charged from a post again. Hope this helps.
Brammo Empulse R 2014
Aprilia Shiver 900 2018
Ducati 750SS 1997

Bvolz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 04:57:11 PM »
I looked and looked and could not find the Anderson Connectors. Nothing smelled burnt when I came back to check on the bike. I am currently trying to uncover the + and - battery terminals to see what voltage the batteries have. I found and uncovered the + and - terminals on the steering end but haven’t been able to find the rear terminals yet. There is a lot of stuff in the way. My goal is to check the voltage currently in the batteries for piece of mind I guess.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 06:47:25 PM by Bvolz »

EV promise

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 07:45:51 AM »
The Anderson connectors are under the 125v fusebox, see image. Not easy to see though. They carry the charger current to the battery. The +ve one passes through the fusebox via the 3 fuses to spread the load. The + - connector behind the headstock at the front of the bike is the "service disconnect" and seperates the upper and lower battery packs for safety, maintenance and storage.
Brammo Empulse R 2014
Aprilia Shiver 900 2018
Ducati 750SS 1997

Bvolz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 03:31:48 PM »
I was able to check the voltage of the top (big) battery. It seems to have 57v. The lower (smaller) battery has way too much stuff in the way to get at the positive terminal. Still nothing happens when the key is turned to the ON position. Is there maybe a fuse for the ignition switch that I overlooked checking?  Also, there is no response when connected to a charger wether level 1 or 2.

Bvolz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2021, 07:16:22 PM »
thanks, i didn't see this until i already spent a bunch of time getting at the negative battery terminal. I will look for these Anderson connectors (behind the fuse box) and let you know what I see!  Thanks again!

Bvolz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 05:03:44 PM »
I do not see any black and red anderson connectors on this bike. Is the photo posted from a Victory Empulse?  Perhaps mine have been changed already and are no longer black and red. I don

Leander

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 02:30:31 AM »
Remove the seat and tank/chargeport cover. Follow the thicker leads (red/black) from the internal charger to the battery. 

new-brammo-guy

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2021, 09:40:00 PM »
I have a 2016 Victory Empulse and mine went black a while ago during charging. I posted my troubleshooting on the forum - though to make a long story short, the VCU needed replaced by the dealer.

Bvolz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2021, 02:34:46 PM »
Remove the seat and tank/chargeport cover. Follow the thicker leads (red/black) from the internal charger to the battery.

somehow I still do not see any black and red Anderson connectors. There are some connectors coming from the internal charger but they are grey and appear to be in 'unmelted' condition.

Bvolz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2021, 02:36:54 PM »
I have a 2016 Victory Empulse and mine went black a while ago during charging. I posted my troubleshooting on the forum - though to make a long story short, the VCU needed replaced by the dealer.

I feel like I am likely in the same boat. How long ago was it that the dealer replaced the VCU? I was under the impression that there are no shops that will service this bike.

Bvolz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2021, 02:39:19 PM »
Does anyone know anyone in the Twin Cities area that would be willing to take a look at this bike to help with diagnostics? Id really love to get it back on the road this summer. Thanks!