Author Topic: Selling EV's article by CR  (Read 996 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Selling EV's article by CR
« on: July 07, 2014, 09:48:46 AM »
In the August issue of Consumer Reports, starting on page 49, is a two-page article titled "Cars", "Plug-in reality check".  It questions if electric-car (and I think the same would apply to electric motorcycles) customers are getting the right information from dealers.  According to the article, there have been a number of reports from their readers about salesmen discouraging customers from buying electric or plug-in vehicles and steering them toward ICE-powered vehicles instead, as well as providing goofy (uninformed) information regarding electric vehicles.  In some cases, customers will even ask to see electric cars but will be told that none are in stock or otherwise not available, even though they were available in the dealer's inventory.

To check these stories, Consumer Reports sent 20 secret shoppers to 85 dealerships in California, Maryland, New York and Oregon, between December 2013 and March 2014, to determine how well sales people were doing at promoting EV's and if they were giving customers accurate information.  In general, they substantiated many of their readers' reports. Some dealers would not admit to having an electric vehicle in stock (even though they did) and some sales people would provide incorrect information, such as that the batteries in a plug-in Prius would require replacement every couple of years.  Another dealer said that the Focus EV could not be leased.  All sorts of other incorrect information was provided at various dealerships, with Honda and Toyota dealers being the worse.

The Consumer Reports article ends with a side-bar recommending when to buy electric or gas and then answers six general questions regarding electric cars.

While cars are not motorcycles, my guess is that the situation is a lot worse at many of the relatively few motorcycle shops that sell electric motorcycles, such as Brammos and Zeros. 
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

benswing

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 04:58:18 PM »
I believe they also found this to occur more on the East Coast rather than the Weet Coast.  In the NJ Electric Auto Assoc. We have members who have had car salesmen steer them away from the EV that they asked for and the salesmen also gave a lot of wrong info. 

I personally went to 5 dealerships and they all said they don't actively try to sell EV's but will sell them if someone asks for one.  Some dealers were a subtly hostile toward EV's, probably because they didn't know how to sell them.

This probably is an issue, but less so, for electric motorcycles.  The dealers I have spoken to seem to have a decent grasp on their products.  Even so, many dealers have only one "Brammo guy" or "Zero guy".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Auslander

• Empulse Guru
  • Ich bin ein Auslander
    • View Profile
Re: Selling EV's article by CR
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 05:05:31 PM »
There was comment recently from the CEO (?) of Chrysler about not wanting to sell the electric Fiats, because they lose money on each one.  I guess building them and not selling wastes less?

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 05:40:46 PM »
There was comment recently from the CEO (?) of Chrysler about not wanting to sell the electric Fiats, because they lose money on each one.  I guess building them and not selling wastes less?

He seemed to be complaining about government requirements to build and sell an electric car in order to meet emission and/or environmental regulations.  Although, it is a mystery to me why they feel the need to sell the car at a price that causes them to loose money on every sale (assuming that they do).  If they priced the car at a an amount that covers the cost of design and production and it didn't sell, they would have more of a justification to complain about the regulation. (In my opinion.)
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 05:43:49 PM »
Go to a dealer that doesnt sell EVs and let them know that you are shopping their car against an EV (like the Volt in my case)... and be prepared to be entertained by some seriously outlandish nonsense about EVs. In this case I ended up buying the Volt :).

benswing

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 11:38:05 PM »
EmpulseRider, that sounds like good fun!  Or a good basis for an article!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk