Author Topic: Empulse R review in City Bike  (Read 1710 times)

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Empulse R review in City Bike
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 09:29:05 PM »
Nuts, if you listened to my interview with Frodus then you know I've been on that forum since almost the beginning.  I started my blog and podcast for a reason, and that reason was because I could no longer stand the vitriol on elmoto any longer.  There used to be a lot of what I thought was fun debate over elmoto racing that I stirred up, as well as builds and everything else.  At the time not many people had the money for builds, but as we have seen more and more people have been actually building bikes.  But, Ted wanted it to be only about builds and PM'd me into submission.  Add to that Mechanic, who has said things that make me certain he is anything but, and you double the vitriol and I decided to make my own corner and if anyone wanted listen then cool (and then it became a small little monster of its own).

Obviously most of the people on the elmoto forum are good people, as is why I have started venturing over there again.  But I find the atmosphere to be mostly toxic.  I set mechanic off with my comment.  My frustration is that Brammo has stated sooo many times on why they use a 6-speed transmission that it is infuriating when publications make it obvious they haven't bothered to pay attention to the very thing they are writing about.  However, the comment I made was not from anything Brammo said, but a few years ago a few article were written about transmissions and electric motorcycles, and one of them I am pretty sure was James Parker.  Anyway, the jist was a 2 or 3 speed just wasn't viable.  I would have loved to have replied but the thread just went off the deep end, and I prefer to not feed the trolls.

As for hanging out here, I am very grateful they haven't thrown me out yet. And actually grateful they let me hang out at all.

Edit:  Found it! http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/750/10144/Motorcycle-Article/Brammo-Shifts-Gears.aspx  Parker didn't write it but is quoted.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 01:19:15 AM by ttxgpfan »

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 10:34:31 AM »
Say what you will about some of the people that post on elmoto, but they are certainly putting in a lot of thought and effort to express their ideas and opinions, going on over there under this topic.  I can understand how someone that thinks all the time about how to build their next electric motorcycle might really want to kick the idea of a transmission around - especially as it is most likely very difficult for a DIY'er to build an electric motorcycle with a transmission and get it to work.  So, obviously, you would want to debunk the idea so that you wouldn't feel like you were building a second-class EV by not going with a gearbox.  I think that anyone that is building their own bike, wants to see it look and perform as well as possible and at a cost that they can afford.  Using anything but a direct-drive is unlikely to be practical for a DIT'er.

Personally I still prefer direct-drive as I am not looking for class-leading acceleration or high top speeds.  I just want a motorcycle that gets me down the road as far as possible and at a speed that is safe.  Having fewer things to maintain and a lighter weight is also a plus for me.  But I am certainly interested in how the transmission will work in practice and I am very happy that the electric motorcycle consumer has a clear choice of the two different design concepts.

There is a lot of interesting comments going on at elmoto right now. The "flames" have subsided quite a bit and I think thoughtful reasoning has prevailed.

http://www.elmoto.net/showthread.php?2835-City-bike-reviews-the-Empulse-R/page5
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NutsnVolts

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 05:28:01 PM »
Please show your bike.  Despite having a tesla roadster and the brammo I have no idea about building and the tech about electric bikes!  Please share!

Since you asked :D  My build thread is here http://www.elmoto.net/showthread.php?1906-Nutshock-V2-0-Electric-R6-Build  Don't want to clutter up the Brammo Forum so I'll keep my updates over there.

Most pictures are located here
http://s194.beta.photobucket.com/user/buckboom00/library/Electric%20R6

-Kyle