Author Topic: EmpulseBuyer's TCO Calculator for E-Bikes Updated  (Read 798 times)

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
EmpulseBuyer's TCO Calculator for E-Bikes Updated
« on: December 01, 2011, 03:09:15 PM »
Just wanted to let you guys know that I have updated the calculator to include the new Zero E-Bikes. I have added some different late model ICE bikes to the mix as well. Please let me know if you would like to see some features or other bikes added. Note: If you want me to add a bike that I may be missing, I will need all the details on that bike, like battery capacity, top speed, hp, tq etc etc... that's why the Engage, Encite, and some other new bikes are not listed yet.
Thanks!

http://www.empulsebuyer.com/tcoCalculator.php
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 03:14:27 PM by EmpulseBuyer »

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: EmpulseBuyer's TCO Calculator for E-Bikes Updated
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 03:12:44 PM »
Hmmm.  Now I'm wondering if ICE vs. EV is too limiting.  I'd kind of like the ability to compare EVs to EVs. 
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 03:40:18 PM »
Hmmm.  Now I'm wondering if ICE vs. EV is too limiting.  I'd kind of like the ability to compare EVs to EVs.  

That may prove useful but would involve a huge overhaul of the calculator. I may just create a different calculator for that purpose down the road. The point of the TCO calculator is mainly to grab traditional riders and offer them data that will allow them to make a more informed switch to a zero emissions alternative.

The message is that electric motorcycles are not only cost competitive with traditional motorcycles, they are actually much cheaper in the long (or even the short) run.

Another issue in comparing EVs is that most have almost no maintenance costs. So when you compare one EV to another, you are getting TCO numbers roughly equivalent to the initial investment which present relatively flat lines on the TCO chart.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 03:47:47 PM by EmpulseBuyer »

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 03:44:16 PM »
You're right, of course. 
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 06:17:03 PM »
I had some good fun with your calculator.  The Colorado rebate numbers are a tough one.  The big question is what is the "comparable" ICE bike that the State of Colorado will choose for the Empulse? 

Your tool is a very good guestimate, but it isn't going to be accurate until the State of Colorado officially adds the Empulse to their "FYI Income 9 Alternative Fuel Income Tax Credits" document. 

The tax credit on the Enertia on the other hand has already been set in stone, so your calculator doesn't need to recalculate:

Brammo Motorcycles
Brammo Enertia Category 1
Incremental price difference $3,496
Tax credit available $2,791
Tax credit available for tax years 2010 and 2011 $2,791

But even that 2,791 number is questionable, since it appears that the 9 and the 7 were accidentally transposed, as the correct tax credit based on 85% of the Incremental price difference of $3496 should be $2,971 instead of $2,791.  If that number is transposed, then it would be the wrong number to use also.  So like I said, Colorado rebate numbers are a real tough one.  Of course it all changes in 4 weeks when the tax credit goes from 85% down to 75% of the Incremental price difference, so that might be a mute point.  If the Incremental price difference remains the same for 2012 (unknown variable) then the Jan 1 2012 through Dec 31 2016 tax credit will drop to $2,622 and stay there unless the Incremental price difference changes.

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1251713597816&ssbinary=true

In a somewhat related question, does anyone know if there is anyone at Brammo working with Colorado Department of Revenue on getting FYI Income 9 updated to show the Empulse rebate amount by the time the Empulse goes on sale?  I'm afraid I might get the call from Brammo that Empulse #1416 is ready for production, and I still won't know what the official rebate amount will be.  That will make pulling the trigger more difficult.

" If you believe your vehicle qualifies and it is not listed in this FYI, please contact the Colorado Department of
Revenue by mail at:
Colorado Department of Revenue
Attn: Alternative Fuel Tax
1375 Sherman Street Room 208
Denver, CO 80261 "

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 09:59:08 AM »
Good points 1416... I am working on updating the calculator now, but it looks like we have not heard from Brammo yet. It would also be nice to know what comps they actually use (or in the Empulse case will use)... in which case I can add the comp and its price / data to the calculator where I could have the appropriate comp ICE selected when Colorado tax break is selected automatically then the calculator can output the most accurate numbers possible.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:18:17 AM by EmpulseBuyer »

BigDpelican

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 10:50:58 PM »
It'd be great if user selectable was available for us overseas - so we could put in local prices... and would mean more than guestimation.