Author Topic: NA TTXGP Race 4: Miller Motorsports Park Sep 1-2  (Read 5361 times)

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: NA TTXGP Race 4: Miller Motorsports Park Sep 1-2
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2012, 03:21:50 PM »
iMovie is what you want.

Brian Wismann on twitter posted that the Empulse RR bikes were faster around Miller East than the latest literbikes at a recent CycleWorld test.

Miller West "Exotics":
1:34.94 Aprilia RSV4 Factory
1:35.45 EBR 1190RS
1:35.31 Ducati Panigale S
1:37.10 MV Agusta F4 RR
1:36.58 Honda CBR1000RR

Miller East "Workhorses":
1:40.74 Honda CBR1000RR
1:40.93 BMW S1000RR
1:41.22 Suzuki GSX-R1000
1:41.57 Kawasaki ZX-10R
1:41.84 Yamaha YZF-R1

Indeed, a 1:38.40 best lap for Eric Bostrom is more than two seconds faster than the best literbike (Honda CBR1000RR) tested on Miller East. On the slightly faster Miller West, the higher-spec $23k Aprilia RSV4 Factory and $40k EBR 1190RS bikes are less than two seconds faster than the CBR1000RR.

Different day, different riders, and comparing street-legal (barely) gas bikes to pure race electrics.. but the electrics win.

Interesting that Steve Atlas was 1.5s slower at Miller. Atlas was 0.6s faster at Laguna Seca than his teammate, though EBoz mentioned that his bike started to slow very soon into the race.

Not sure what else to draw from this. Steve Atlas is a very fast rider. Eric might be faster. Or he might know the track better.

2011 Miller TTXGP Results:
1       Shane Turpin              Motoczysz           1:31.533*
2       Tim Hunt                   Lightning             1:39.604*
3       Steve Atlas                 Brammo              1:42.331*
4       Thad Wolff                  MotoElectra       1:45.472*
5       Ely Schless                  ProtoMoto          1:58.375
6       Ted Rich                     Lightning            DNF

2011 was done on the Miller West track, which is approximately 4.2s faster than Miller East (per CW's superbike shootout).

That puts the 2012 Empulse RR at around a 1:34.2 laptime - approximately 8 seconds faster than 2011.

The TTXGP report mentions that MotoCzysz's transponder failed during the race and that the laptime was capture manually - David Herron's always excellent race reports indicate an approximately 1:35 best lap.

Steve Atlas finished 1:04 behind Shane Turpin, or an average of 8s per lap slower.
Tim Hunt finished 0:30.3 behind Shane Turpin, or an average of 3.8s per lap slower.

These two data points point towards a best lap in the 1:34 to 1:36 range for MotoCzysz .. which means the 2012 Empulse is right at that level too. Herron says Shane Turpin is a staggeringly fast racer at Miller, and holds the fast lap record at the track on any bike.

Given the rider advantage to MotoCzysz, you could make a reasonable (if speculative) argument that the 2012 Empulse RR is faster than the 2011 MotoCzysz bike. Huge improvement for Brammo.

A fun comparison -- if somewhat stretching -- is the Lightning bike, as it's nominally available for sale. At Laguna Seca, it was slightly faster than the Empulse RR in Steve Atlas's hands. Supposedly Brammo has worked on the bikes since - let's say it's as fast as the 1:38.40 laptime turned in by Eric Bostrom.

$40k boutique Lightning electric vs $40k boutique EBR 1190RS. Electric wins.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2012, 03:29:01 PM »
I actually figured SteveO would go a bit slower this time:

A) He finishes, he wins the Championship. A good reason to go fast, but not push it too hard.

B) There is no B

Still Eric and Steve are both very good riders...It will be interesting to see how it goes next season. Both are all about the TEAM, but you get on the track and all bets are off till the checkered flag.

So the first couple of races of next season should be fun :)

Gavin

Beating the litre bikes is a big big deal...cool stuff.

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2012, 03:54:49 PM »
E-Boz Flyby:

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2012, 03:58:47 PM »
Great shot!  But the sound was a little confusing.  :-\
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2012, 03:59:52 PM »
Great shot!  But the sound was a little confusing.  :-\

Yeah there were other motorcycles out doing practice runs unfortunately...

Im looking at a better camera too... the one I have got busted up a little during go-cart racing with the Brammo fellas. Was in my pocket and got a little crushed, frame is broken :( but still functional. Looking at 3d capable cameras, possibly for Daytona!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 04:08:03 PM by EmpulseBuyer »

Deadly Silent Ninja

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2012, 09:18:39 PM »
Awesome job by the ICONN-Brammo team! I was very happy to see the Va Tech team getting 3rd place, too. This race couldn't have gone any better!  :D

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2012, 10:51:03 PM »
There could have been an Empulse TTX in eSuperStock.. because 25 Empulse Rs had been sold. That would have been better.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2012, 10:31:48 AM »
Press release on the TTXGP race:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/team-icon-brammo-takes-first-and-second-place-at-ttxgp-north-american-championship-race-168613816.html

Team Icon Brammo Takes First and Second Place at TTXGP North American Championship Race

ASHLAND, Ore., Sept. 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- This Labor Day weekend was anything but tranquil for Team Icon Brammo.  The team's newest addition, legendary superbike racer and former AMA champion, Eric Bostrom, took first place at the TTXGP North American Championship race at Utah's Miller Motorsports Park.  The team's defending 2011 champion, Steve Atlas, took second in the race as well as the TTXGP North American Championship 2012 title for leading the season in points.
(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20120905/SF68126)
Race fans were wowed by Bostrom's record lap of 1:38.4, which was quicker than all the 2012 superbikes tested at the track months earlier by CycleWorld magazine. This time was faster than all but one of the gasoline-powered bikes racing at the track this past weekend in the AHMRA race series.
With the points scored, Brammo finished the season with an Atlas win of the Rider's Championship, by Atlas, as well as the Team/Constructor's Championship, a difficult feat to achieve in any race series.  This feat is made all the more impressive by a relatively rocky start to the season with two crashes at the opening round at Infineon Raceway resulting in a back injury to defending TTXGP champion Steve Atlas and a broken wrist for AMA Superbike stand-out Steve Rapp.
Team Manager, Brian Wismann, commented on the win, "Team Icon Brammo are exceedingly happy with this storybook ending to a season that began as a nightmare with the double crashes at Infineon (Sonoma).  This team deserves every bit of the satisfaction of a double-podium and consecutive national championship having put in an incredible effort to get the bikes working well for these two talented riders. We're just now hitting our stride and Daytona can't come fast enough!"
While this race marks the end of the North American TTXGP season, there is still the combined TTXGP and FIM ePower World Final in October, which will be held in the US for the first time at Daytona International Speedway.  Brammo expects to see the toughest competition yet at this event, as all riders and teams will be vying for the title of "2012 World Champion."
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Mr.Rodgers

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2012, 11:17:22 PM »
Hmmm, after reading the write-up on Autoblog...

EB, you're Different

and Protomech, are you PR?

Anyone else care to reveal themselves?

I just go by David over there, although I know of at least one other David that comments there and he doesn't seem to be too smart.  Soo, if you see any dumb comments, just go ahead and give the credit to the "other" David.
(somewhat)Patiently waiting

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2012, 12:16:29 AM »
I don't often comment on Autoblog; but when I do, I do so under the sobriquet 'protomech'.

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2012, 03:10:04 PM »
Hmmm, after reading the write-up on Autoblog...

EB, you're Different

and Protomech, are you PR?

Anyone else care to reveal themselves?

I just go by David over there, although I know of at least one other David that comments there and he doesn't seem to be too smart.  Soo, if you see any dumb comments, just go ahead and give the credit to the "other" David.

Yeah, im Spiffster over there and just about anywhere else. Not even sure where I got that from. I had actually tried to change my name on ABG but it messed my account up... so just Spiffster will have to do now.

Mr.Rodgers

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2012, 03:30:06 PM »
well, looks like I got autocorrected there , huh?

"PR" had a post comparing the electric and gas bike times.  Knowing that you had a similar post (and your name starts with "pr" I figured it was you. Guess not.  Oh well, 50% is pretty good...in baseball
(somewhat)Patiently waiting

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2012, 03:34:48 PM »
Pretty neat coincidence, but just a coincidence.

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2012, 04:09:20 PM »
well, looks like I got autocorrected there , huh?

"PR" had a post comparing the electric and gas bike times.  Knowing that you had a similar post (and your name starts with "pr" I figured it was you. Guess not.  Oh well, 50% is pretty good...in baseball

PR is from Colorado, so is 1416... hmmm, Im not sure but I think that's 1416.

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2012, 04:36:42 PM »
hmmm, Im not sure but I think that's 1416.

Who is 1416?

I've never heard of him...

;)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 04:38:20 PM by 860 »