Brammo Empulse Discussion > Brammo Empulse

B40 error tackling

(1/15) > >>

Haplo:
Hi all, Bert here,

I joined the forum yesterday and introduced myself and my Brammo in another topic. With this topic I hope to find some help to tackle the B40 error on my Brammo..

Short history: since purchase frequently the B9 error popped up. Usually after something like 10 minutes riding it disappeared. At 1 or 2 occasions the B40 error popped up, but after switching ignition (can you speak of ignition with an EV??) off/on I was able to continue my journey without any more issues. Last week the B40 error popped up after riding for 30 seconds. I again restarted, but after doing that several times it was clear the error popped up constantly after 30 seconds. Prior to those 30 seconds I was able to ride normally. I was glad I was able to limb home.. :)

I tried charging the bike, but to no avail. The Brammo keeps giving B40 after 30 seconds. The first few days trying I was still able to engage the engine in those first 30 seconds, but now it also doesn't engage any more.

Yestrday I started disassembling it but found no real issues yet. I have heard of corroded cables, or connections, but almost everthing looks very nice and clean. The only connections I found which were dirty and wet were the CAN-Bus connections on the battery's. I disconnectied all of the connections I could reach to see if cleaning those would result in a easy repair. Unfortunately, no luck.

When I look at the information the Brammo gives me, some things catches the eye: the min/max voltage of the cells seem very good to my inexperienced eye: Max 3.985 Min 3.941. However the temperature seems odd. -24degrees... See attached pic.. Also I looked at the LED's of each module. They blink kinda weird. A lot of green flashes, but also occasionally red. Looks like an error code, but there does not seem to be a constant flashing order. I made a video.. see: https://youtube.com/shorts/PIOCQMePJf0

I already have read a lot of topics here about the B40 error. My summarization of all that info is: the BMS is in idle mode. The BMS info is transfered through the CAN-bus which is mounted on circuit boards inside the battery modules. Battery Module 5 is most prone to give malfunctions since its one of the 3 lower modules and mounted upside down. Here fluids (from battery pouches or water) can get pile up and damage the PCB.

My questions:
What are the flashing LED's on the battery modules showing?
Can the -24 temperature reading be a result of a faulty PCB of one of the modules?
Can the -24 temperature reading cause the B40 error?
If above no questions are 'yes' does this give hope by fixing the issue to simply fixing the faulty temperature sensor? Or should I see this B40 error more like smoke-screen where all sorts of things happen but cannot be trusted?
Last question: if things go south i'm not reluctant to start replacing cell's or the complete battery modules. I read the information of the member 'boxerpower' in Spain. That looks promising. Are there any other know rebuilds?

Korbin Dallas:
Hello Haplo
Can you download the ride files off the usb under the seat?
There are posts on the forum to help with that. Then we can start to diagnose the issue.

Korbin Dallas:
http://www.environ-systems.com/brammo-empulse-r.html

Here is the link to the log file converter. also lots of other good info that this member still has active

Haplo:
Hi Korbin,.. Thanks for the link. I didn't found that one yet. I already found the USB stick in the Brammo. Will download the files and upload them here.

EV promise:
Hi Bert, to answer your questions. Yes, if the  board relays temperature readings to the microprocessor in that module outside the parameters the B40 fault is displayed. A recent  .drv or .chg file from the data logger will reveal the module at fault as they contain alot of information. Data is recorded every 5 seconds.
Once opened, the file is saved as an Excel file for easy viewing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version