Author Topic: Halloween 2010  (Read 1406 times)

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
Halloween 2010
« on: November 01, 2010, 06:08:17 PM »
Hey, just thought I would add some holiday cheer here...

So I was inspired by a friend who did a star wars storm trooper as a cardboard robot...wanted to do a robot with the iPad as my chest piece playing robots from classic movies...it all got a little complicated as cardboard became trash can, arms are drainage ducts, eyes are infinity pendants, got an old compression, oil pressure, vacuum pressure dial off ebay... etc etc...It is now over six feet tall and insanely uncomfortable...gah, what we do for art.

The legs never came together, so I did a last minute box thingy...that did work either so went silver legs...might save the costume for next year and do the legs right.

anyways...will post some video later...one good thing is that the costume will likely keep me from getting too drunk...almost impossible to drink in...obviously a halloween costume flaw.

In the meantime...here is the pumpkin I did...my first "scrapping, not cutting" pumpkin. My daughter hasn't been able to play any fallout 3 for a couple of months and is missing it...so I made this for her as she came home for the weekend just to hit the halloween party.

Need to be a gamer to understand it...

Needs a bit of touch up, and lightening of the face and hand...but not bad for a first effort...heck, only cut one of my fingers doing it. Of course I think I probably will end up getting a tetanus shot next week anyways as my robot costume has nuts and bolts and a few screws sticking into the habitation compartment.

Heck we are invited to 3 adult halloween parties this year...does anybody remember when halloween was for kids?

Off to find the finished photos and the costume photos...

BRB

Gavin

Vibetrippin

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Halloween 2010
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 06:15:05 PM »
That is one sweet PIP boy!

Personally I'm from back in the day of the original Fallout. I played it for about 38 hours straight before removing it from my computer. I didn't trust myself to reinstall it for a couple years after that. Did almost the same thing with Fallout 2 and I've refused to buy any of the new games. I value my family and job too much to risk falling into the void!

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 06:15:14 PM »
a bit of scraping on the face and hand to lighten them up...the pipboy pumpkin lasted well all weekend and went to 3 parties and was on display for the trick or treaters (along with my robot costume sitting on the porch outside)...thought for sure it would get smashed, but still "alive" this morning. i think i will do a scrapping not cutting pumpkin for a couple of more years...was fun.

sorry for the bad image...love my iPhone, but she doesn't do low lighting photos well. used a cord and 60 watt bulb to get very good shine thru on the pumpkin skin...a candle would have been much too dim

my costume...everybody loved it...I think the eyes are killer and the size is more impressive when you are at a party and suddenly see me walk in or walk by. And the kids loved it... at first they were afraid of it, but then gah, they followed me everywhere like baby ducklings...hugging me and yelling, "we love you robot"...it was borderline surreal. and a bit tiring...after about an hour of non-stop being either herded or followed by children i pleading with other adults, "please help me, why isn't anybody else interacting with the children?" they were, "oh, you are doing a great job." finally had to tell the kids that robot needed to power-down. which meant get drunk.

the ipad had clips from about 10 robot movies...an hour long loop...no movie sound, instead i insert clips of robot noises and robot phrases (i am a robot, warning warning, powering down, you are a man, i am a machine, other than that slight difference we have much in common... etc etc)

My eyes pulsed and had insane depth due to led magic...the mouth was my area for vision, but you couldn't see in, just out. and i loved my steampunk dial console...had temp, oil pressure and vacuum pressure...real gauges.

going for some cupcakes. :)  robot claws are awful at grabbing cupcakes...even with "Real Ratch Sound"

if I use this again i will work on getting the robot legs...tried a couple of things...didn't work out like i wanted...so went with simple silver legs...want to find some nice wide culvert piping...yes I have chicken skinny legs, but regular round duct piping is too small even for my skinny self.

body is a trash can, head is a Halloween cauldron, arms--drainage pipe, hands --robot claws with real ratchet sound...

my wife, who is constantly cleaning and we all make fun of her for it, went as a super hero called Mighty Maid. And yes I am a lucky man.

g
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:21:01 PM by Gavin »

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 06:17:32 PM »
That is one sweet PIP boy!

Personally I'm from back in the day of the original Fallout. I played it for about 38 hours straight before removing it from my computer. I didn't trust myself to reinstall it for a couple years after that. Did almost the same thing with Fallout 2 and I've refused to buy any of the new games. I value my family and job too much to risk falling into the void!

Thanks!! Was very happy with how it turned out considering I had never done this type of carving. Went fairly fast and looked great...at least to me :)

I never played the first two...I went from having an Atari 2600 back in the late 70s? or early 80s? to the Nintendo Wii...no gaming in between...gah, now I have the Wii and a PS3...Played Fallout 3 and all the expansions...80 plus hours...so yes, I too am holding off on New Vegas...it is a time vortex.

Gavin

Vibetrippin

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 06:19:52 PM »
if you're willing to risk digital crack, you've gotta try the first two. Send the family away for a long weekend or something first though.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 06:48:57 PM »
Gavin, that is an amazing costume... wish I was that creative.  And yes, your wife is hot, but I can't say whether it's because of her killer biceps, the mask/anonymity aspect, or the cleaning supplies. Or the gauntlet latex gloves. 

The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 10:52:22 PM »
Thanks...costume was fun to make.

Wife had fun with her's too...45 years old and she is just as beautiful and youthful today as when I met her over 30 years ago.

Gavin