Author Topic: Will the Brammo be collectible?  (Read 1483 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Will the Brammo be collectible?
« on: December 06, 2010, 06:43:06 PM »
Just for fun, here is a topic that might be worth kicking around. My view is that electric motorcycles and their technology are comparable to motorcycles from the early 20th century. Wouldn't you like to have a 1910 motorcycle in your garage right now?

I have owned various motorcycles over the years that I hardly gave a thought to keeping, but if I had them now, I'll bet they would be worth something. In particular, I have owned a 1962 Vespa 125, a 1963 Lambretta 150 Li series III, a 1963 Yamaha YD3 touring bike (complete with leg shields) , a 1964 Honda Superhawk, a 1969 Yamaha 350cc YR3, a 1971 Honda CB175, a 1973 Yamaha RD350, a Honda 1974 CB400-4, a 1976 Honda CB550 - to say nothing of my first car, a 1960 800cc DKW (now Audi) Junior 3-cylinder two-stroke 4-door sedan. My feeling is that all of these vehicles would be worth more than I originally paid for them and would become more collectible as the years go by.

You might have to keep it a while, but I'll believe the Brammo Enertia and Empulse will be worth keeping around and passing along to your children, even as better electric motorcycles come on the market in the future. Unlike IC motorcycles, I'll bet electric motorcycles will age well, even if you have to replace the batteries occasionally. At least you won't have to worry about acids building up in the crankcase, oil seals failing, fuel evaporating and clogging passages, the piston rings and valves rusting, etc., etc.

current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Will the Brammo be collectible?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 06:56:05 PM »
According to this guy, the answer is yes:
Mark Gardiner, on Spend green, be green—a day in the life of Brammo’s Enertia “Powercycle”

I know he says something about it... perhaps it's in this video:

He talks about the "legacy value", I think.  Gotta run.  Will try to check in later tonight -- great subject, by the way.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

HighlanderMWC

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 07:27:51 PM »
Collect them if you enjoy collecting them. Otherwise "collectibles" aren't very good assets and you're better off with more traditional saving methods.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 09:12:20 PM »
That is true, Highlander. I never wanted to collect any of my motorcycles. I always wanted the next year's better model. Still, now that I am older, I sort of wish I had some way of keeping a few of those old motorcycles. All I needed was a nice big warehouse.  ;D

I have a friend that not only has a small warehouse for his motorcycle collection, he also keeps a bunch of motorcycles in his airplane hanger.   ;)

Either way, I still think it is fun to talk about trying to keep your Brammo in good condition for as long as possible. Some day it will look great in a technological museum collection.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 09:05:41 AM »
I found it.  At about the 3:00 mark, he says "This is a historically important bike.  So besides recouping a few cents a mile in operating costs, eventually you may find yourself with a real collector's item."
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

webman

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 11:06:31 PM »
What a great topic!  I'm surprised it hasn't come up before, honestly.  I have absolutely no doubt that both the enertia and the empulse will become collectible machines in the future, given the historic importance of both.

It's interesting to hear others lament having sold their machines, only to find out later how important they were.  I've wished I kept my '84 Honda VF750 interceptor, and also wished I hadn't passed on buying a mint-condition, 1982 Suzuki GS1000 Katana back in 1990.  That was one great bike; at least I can say I got to ride it.

I'd love to hear other people's stories.

eric  aka webman

P.S:  Great point about maintaining them, too.  I periodically have to clean the carbs on my '97 Seca II; what a pain that is. That's a chore I won't miss.  :) 
webman, aka eric

brammo vehicle desired:  Empulse 8.0
current rides:  '97 yamaha seca II (low miles, but beater)
'06 honda metro (wife's bike, mostly)
previous bikes:
'97 ducati monster 750
'91 yamaha FZR600
'84 Honda VF750 Interceptor