Author Topic: Ariel Atom  (Read 974 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Ariel Atom
« on: January 25, 2011, 10:58:37 AM »
I hope my memory isn't faulty, but I seem to recall that before Brammo decided to build electric motorcycles, they were thinking of electrifying an Ariel Atom (and I think they actually did produce a prototype). When I read that, I wondered what an Ariel Atom was. Now I know. Top Gear, the funny and fun British high-performance car show tested an Ariel Atom V8 in their latest episode and raced it on the same track (at the same time) against a new BMW S1000RR street-legal superbike. Here is the link to the 12-minute video of the Top Gear segment. I note that Top Gear has retained a new Stig (which is their anonymous professional race car driver) : 

If I was wrong about the historical link between Brammo and the Ariel Atom, I apologize. But it is still a fun episode to watch. If I was right, you can imagine what an electric version of the Atom might have been like.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Ariel Atom
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 01:26:20 PM »
Brammo bought the rights to produce Atoms in the US. They used the GM Ecotec 2.0L engine instead of the Honda K20 used in the UK.

I don't know if Brammo was ever looking at an electric Atom; one gentleman did create an electric Atom, the Wrightspeed X1 based on the AC250 motor in the Tesla Roadster. Ian Wright, Wrightspeed's founder, was also a co-founder of Tesla FWIW. I recall reading that he intended to create a production X1, but put his plans on hold when the economy collapsed.

Other interesting super-light EV projects:

DetroitEV's Electrolite Roadster based off of RCR's SL-R kit car.
Palatov Motorsports dp1/e track prototype, based on an earlier gas design. See also the dp1/e info page, which has one of the most honest and compelling justifications for EVs I've read.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 01:36:35 PM »
You are, indeed, correct.  As Brian has mentioned over on HellForLeather.com, this particular Atom is not one of the Brammo-made cars, although he designed the wing.

More information about the Brammo history including its early supercar efforts, can be found on Wikipedia in a particularly well-written article.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 05:52:42 PM »
Thanks Brammofan. That was an interesting article. At least my memory was right about the Atom and Brammo having a history.

My understanding is that the car in Top Gear uses two Suzuki Hyabusa engines stuck together in some way to make a very powerful V8. I am not at all sure how that was done, but the reason probably had something to do with Honda not wanting them to use their engines any more.

I have to tell you, I wouldn't want to race a car on a motorcycle on the same track at the same time. One mistake by the rider or the driver could result in mayhem.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.