Author Topic: Was able to give Sparky a good workout today (more pix coming soon)  (Read 1345 times)

barboo

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile

Was able to give Sparky a good workout today. Totally different experience and a lot of fun. Some lessons learned:

(1) My lean angle is pretty limited as has been mentioned by Brian/others. Sweepers aren't a problem, but hairpins, really tight, or off camber turns will be.

(2) I wish there were 2 strokes/250s/SVs out there with me so I could gauge my speed better with others vs. 600s/1000s. I would gain on folks in the corners, but once we hit even a small straight...goodbye mr 600/1000.  Admittedly I do need to work on my corner speed more on this bike.

(3) Keeping it charged all day via genny @240 was no problem, now if only my genny stayed on all the time. :) Something I need to sort out before next time. No heat problems experienced in 15/20 minute sessions. Had a high powered fan on it for 40 minutes before my session would come up again.

(4) It was fun putting my hand on the fork going through the front straight. Actually seemed to make a difference.

I'll have more pix coming shortly.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 07:41:04 PM by barboo »
1973 Honda CL350 (For Fun)
1999 BMW K1200RS (Daily ride)
2007 Aprilia Tuono R (Street)
2005 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Wife's Track)
2012 BMW S1000RR (Race / Track)
2013 Brammo Empulse R (Race / Track / Street)

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Since, other than at stoplights, I don't race, why was it fun to put your hand on the front fork, and how did it help?

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
Since, other than at stoplights, I don't race, why was it fun to put your hand on the front fork, and how did it help?

Reduction of frontal area = theoretically less aerodynamic drag.  Technique used primarily on bikes without a front fairing on the straights, tracing way back to the board track racing days...   

barboo

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Thanks Brian. Yep, I used it + tuck in behind my MRA windscreen. There was a track photographer taking pix of me as I came out onto the front straight...hopefully he caught it.

Just sharing one more quick pic at the track while the Empulse was getting it's tires toasty for the first session.

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
Thanks Brian. Yep, I used it + tuck in behind my MRA windscreen. There was a track photographer taking pix of me as I came out onto the front straight...hopefully he caught it.

Sweet!  Let's see the action shots when you've got 'em! 

barboo

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Sweet!  Let's see the action shots when you've got 'em!
Here's a couple of quick previews. Credit goes to ElectricEyeImages.com. He takes some great pix. I'm waiting for all of them to be processed and will post up more once I have them.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Really like that second shot! It might look nice up on the top of the forum.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

barboo

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Really like that second shot! It might look nice up on the top of the forum.
Wow...thanks. That would be an honor. I'll post the pix together in a separate thread as soon as I have them.

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
Here's a couple of quick previews. Credit goes to ElectricEyeImages.com. He takes some great pix. I'm waiting for all of them to be processed and will post up more once I have them.

Awesome!  Looks like you had a blast and you look pretty comfortable on the bike to me! Arthur (dbsuperbiker) better bring his A-game to the next race. ;)

We're going to need to start a track gear thread... I see Bell Star Carbon helmet, Rev'it leathers, Dainese boots, Alpinestars gloves? 

Looking forward to seeing the photos without the watermark though... 

barboo

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Awesome!  Looks like you had a blast and you look pretty comfortable on the bike to me! Arthur (dbsuperbiker) better bring his A-game to the next race. ;)

We're going to need to start a track gear thread... I see Bell Star Carbon helmet, Rev'it leathers, Dainese boots, Alpinestars gloves? 

Looking forward to seeing the photos without the watermark though...
lol...thanks, I'll need to bring my A-game as well. :)

Yep, Bell Star Carbon, Rev-It leathers, Dainese boots, and Ricondi gloves. Ricondi is out of Australia (http://www.ricondi.com.au/) - they make great suits. I have two suits by them, but wore the Rev'it since I like to mix it up. :D

The camera-dude mentioned I should have the pix by Friday. I had a GoPro on, but it was pointed the wrong way off my helmet - 15-20 minutes of hearing the bike and looking at my dash so I didn't post any vids. I'll make sure it's setup properly for Grattan.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 03:46:30 PM by barboo »

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
Re: Was able to give Sparky a good workout today (more pix coming soon)
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 11:29:01 PM »
Yep, Bell Star Carbon, Rev-It leathers, Dainese boots, and Ricondi gloves. Ricondi is out of Australia (http://www.ricondi.com.au/) - they make great suits. I have two suits by them, but wore the Rev'it since I like to mix it up. :D

The camera-dude mentioned I should have the pix by Friday. I had a GoPro on, but it was pointed the wrong way off my helmet - 15-20 minutes of hearing the bike and looking at my dash so I didn't post any vids. I'll make sure it's setup properly for Grattan.

Cool.  I hadn't heard of Ricondi before, but I appreciate your quest for good gear.  I've found a glove I really like in the Knox Handroid. I've crashed in them once and I was really impressed with how well they held up.  Not such a huge fan of my Sidi boots, but I'll suffer along in them based on how much I paid for them.  :o They're just not as comfortable or as easy to get on and off as I would like. 

barboo

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Was able to give Sparky a good workout today (more pix coming soon)
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 07:13:44 AM »
Cool.  I hadn't heard of Ricondi before, but I appreciate your quest for good gear.  I've found a glove I really like in the Knox Handroid. I've crashed in them once and I was really impressed with how well they held up.  Not such a huge fan of my Sidi boots, but I'll suffer along in them based on how much I paid for them.  :o They're just not as comfortable or as easy to get on and off as I would like.
Heard really good things about the Handroids. If/when my other gloves (I also have the Rev-it gloves that match the suit) go south I was planning on trying Handroid next. I love my Dainese Torque Pros. Comfy and easy to get in/out of. The only downside is I should have gone with perforated ones - the ones I have get really hot during the Summer.

barboo

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile