Author Topic: Have we had a gear thread yet?  (Read 971 times)

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Have we had a gear thread yet?
« on: May 11, 2014, 09:25:44 PM »
Well, I had my first actual real motorcycle accident on Friday!  NOT on the Empulse (thank goodness; I would've had to start my mileage all over!) but on my GSXR.  A dude merged left into me on the freeway (slow traffic, ~30 mph), knocked my handlebar and front brake, and sent me tankslapping into the back of a car in front of me.  I basically did a somersault off the bike and into the car, hitting it upside down, and then falling onto the pavement.  Aaaand other than a tender shoulder, I am no worse for wear!  I even went to the hospital as a precaution, and they gave me an all-clear.

So after a day of reflection and celebration of still being fully-functional, I've been thinking about choices in riding, gear, etc quite a bit.  If anybody wants gear recommendations, here's what I was wearing at the time and thus endorse 100%.  I got up and walked away, and I can't think of higher praise for a set of gear. 

• Shoei RF1100
  • Aerostich.  The one and only.  I have the optional hip armor, which likely helped as I landed on my side.
  • Forcefield Pro Sub 4 -- based on the fact that I hit a car with my back and feel fine, this thing did a damn good job.
  • Helimot B11s.  Best gloves I've ever worn.
  • Dainese TRQ Tours: they actually have external armor and manage to not look like moon-boots.  Also waterproof!

The only thing that looks like it will need replacing is the helmet; there's a decent-size ding on the back of it.  Probably go to the RF1200, as it's been getting great reviews and I know the Shoei shape fits my head.  Covered by insurance, too!

The GSXR, however, was not so lucky.  The frame is basically cracked in half.  Now to find another gas bike!

In any case -- anybody had a serious scrape with accompanying gear recommendations and/or condemnations?

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Have we had a gear thread yet?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 10:41:27 PM »
Glad you're OK man! Too bad about the bike. Was the other guys fault right? Hopefully insurance covers it all.

I have a hjc helmet as well as a cycle gear brand with flip down visor. I spent some money and got a nice leather jacket with pads in it that has been awesome. I wear some Jean pants that have Kevlar on the inside and knee and side pads. Got some nice icon boots that latch up like ski boots and some nice summer gloves and a decent pair of cold weather gloves. I bundle up every time I go out.

Atgatt (all the gear all the time)!

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 07:20:03 AM »
Man... amazing that you got out of that relatively unscathed. If I did a somersault on a plush carpet, I would be out of commission for a few days.

I have an AGV Miglia helmet, a mesh Fieldsheer jacket and (I think) Fieldsheer overpants. Vega boots and some kind of gloves... (speed and strength?). I know they aren't close to top of the line, but it's better than nothing.

Keep safe out there, folks.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 10:08:14 AM »
Sorry to hear about your off, Jeff. Glad you came through intact: the freeway is usually not so forgiving!

If you haven't done so already, you may want to post this on BARF. I got a lot out of the feedback after my R1200R was totalled.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=4c5926e768ee737beaa1e14d9cc6f591&f=94

In that crash I went 13 feet across the asphalt in  BMW Atlantis IV leathers and had no scratch. I hit the street hard on my hip and the impact caused a hairline crack in my pelvis. Docs said the hip armor probably saved my leg from breaking at the trochanter. We tend to like gear that saves our assets!

skuzzle

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 04:12:06 PM »
I use a Kriega backback which has body armor that slides into a special pocket.  Shouldn't have to worry about a portable charger impaling me.

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 07:55:39 AM »
Glad to hear you're ok!
I like gear with D3O armor. I bought replacement D3O for my gear and just swap it out to whatever I'm wearing.
I also like Kevlar clothing. I like to be able to have a casual look off the bike and protection on the bike. I have my eye on Rokker motorcycle jeans
http://www.therokkercompany.com/2012/index.php/motorcycle-collection/men/jeans/?lang=en
but I need to save my money for those, they're available on Revzilla.com.
Actually Mine,
Empluse R

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 08:25:59 AM »
Yikes. Glad your gear came through for you.. could have been much worse.

I need to upgrade my gear - I'm still mostly riding gear I bought when I first started riding about 5 years ago. It's worked well through a couple of minor scrapes but I doubt it'd hold up to a serious crash.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

benswing

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 11:05:40 AM »
Good to hear you got up and walked away with no significant injuries.  Glad to hear it! 

After you recommended I check out the Aerostitich I now feel naked wearing anything else!  I didn't get a suit yet, but am definitely considering it.

oml

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 03:39:29 PM »
In any case -- anybody had a serious scrape with accompanying gear recommendations and/or condemnations?

Jeah, I got hit by a car from the left (a bit less than 50 km/h) while driving at about 15 km/h forward about 2 months ago. Got hit pretty hard on my left leg and foot, but nothing broken, just very hard bruises (theyre still there and only slowly going away). Flipped twice and landed on my helmet, breaking it (actually the most expensive part of the accident safe of the car which has about 7000 Euro damage :D ).

Gear was some reasonably priced kevlar trousers and jacket, both undamaged, some acceptable gloves, some Shoei helmet for 400 bucks (Shoei Multitec I believe, but I wasnt that convinced. Will buy another one this time) and very very comfortable Dayona Burdit XCR (1). Man, those boots are awesome. Can recommend. Took the hit like a champ, protected reasonable well (it was a fucking 2 ton car driving its numberplate directly into my foot) and are that comfortable I actually wear them on bad weather days, too.

The motorcycle (Honda CBF 600 S/A) has a dent in the tank (proved to be softer than my knee), broken footpegs and minor parts and a bend bar, nothing else. About 150 bucks to repair plus value drop through scratches (which hurt the most because I actually wanted to sell it this fall and replace it with a KTM Duke 390).

Its not certain yet which fault it is - both sides could have prevented it if they were more careful, but both sides had the right to be there - very faulty shilds in a very very complicated place (3 meters away from Hitlers Reichsparteitagsgelaende actually). The insurances are fighting that one out.

(1) http://www.daytona.de/index.php?page=453  I love those. 10/10, would dance again.

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 04:15:45 PM »
I upgraded my gear a couple of years ago when I started getting back into riding.

I learned to love textiles with my BMW Kalihari suit that kept me protected from the elements way better than any leather ever did, but it was getting old and some of the closures were failing and the pants were hard to wear over other clothing (as in, using it for commuting where I had to carry my clothes with me and change in a locker room).  Also, it was pretty stuffy for summer riding on my RT even without the waterproof liner.

I got a Rev'it tornado because it could more easily go over other pants and it was fully meshed for summer riding.  But then I discovered that the removable water/wind liner worked so well that it is actually a 4 season suit for the Bay Area even on my naked Empulse R (and on my fully faired RT, I can wear it down to the low 40s in comfort).

I also took the time to update my 6 year old Schuberth C2 to a new C3 with integrated Bluetooth.  I've ridden to work during conference calls where they thought I was at home in my home office the entire time while I'm lane splitting on the 101.  ;)  The downside of the Schuberth helmets is the price and the fact that they aren't Snell rated so you can't use them on a track day that requires a Snell rating.
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 12:22:40 AM »
I too love the Schuberth C3: lighter, quieter, breezier (with the vents open) than the C2.

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 10:19:10 PM »
Update: I highly recommend State Farm.  They officially found the other dude at fault, and the only things for which I even had to lift a finger were to a.) arrange the bike for pickup at my house, and b.) send them a list of mods I had on the bike.  They're paying out well (and paying for my helmet, too) with a minimum of fuss.  This is my first accident of any variety, so I didn't know ANYthing about the process; my agent guided me through it very well.

I did go with the Shoei RF1200, and it's excellent so far.  Noticeably lighter than the RF1100 and I think quieter to boot.

Also, I have found a replacement gas bike!  I am officially replacing the GSX-R with a hilaaaarious streetfightered 2002 Honda RC51.  Rode it at Thunderhill this past weekend and it is a hoot.  Terribly impractical for the street, but I figure the Empulse is ~90% of my riding anyways -- the only times I use a gas bike are longer trips and the track.

Wheee!  And yes, I was thinking to myself on track how thankful I was that I was wearing good gear on the street.