Author Topic: Enertias and Empulses will be sold alongside GSX-Rs and...Bring it on!  (Read 1099 times)

beatsdddx

• View Profile
Because this partnership has been a work in progress, benefits such as longer battery life are already in place, as evidenced by some of the claimed performance features built into the recently unveiled Empulse naked sportbike. In addition to availability nationwide through Best Buy stores, Brammo will soon have a traditional dealer channel. If Bramscher has his way, Enertias and Empulses will be sold alongside GSX-Rs and Gold Wings and YZ450s, not just stateside but around the globe.
“We’ve had several hundred queries from dealers,” Bramscher said. “We want to make sure we have the infrastructure to get products to them in a reasonable amount of time and manage parts and all that. Obviously, that’s part of the Flextronics deal.

“Flextronics allows us to be small, inventive, nimble and reactive, but still have the weight to swing around to get things done and product into global markets quickly. It feels like we already have an answer to the question, what are you going to do when the big guys get into this business? I’m hoping the answer will be grow market share and defend our position as a leader.”[img]Brammo Empulse Motorcycle

Empulse purchase? By partnering with Flextronics, Brammo can focus on product development and innovation, not ask if the right transistor is in the right place. Company CEO Craig Bramscher claims the things that have kept people from buying electric motorcycles have been cost and performance. That’s about to change, he says.

Empulse purchase? By partnering with Flextronics, Brammo can focus on product development and innovation, not ask if the right transistor is in the right place. Company CEO Craig Bramscher claims the things that have kept people from buying electric motorcycles have been cost and performance. That’s about to change, he says.

Brammo Partners with Flextronics - Industry News from cycleworld.com

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Enertias and Empulses will be sold alongside GSX-Rs and...Bring it on!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 11:01:35 PM »
Hey Beats -- when you quote so very extensively from another source, you need to put a link to the original article at the beginning of your post.  And probably shouldn't grab SO much of the text of the article, anyway.  At first, I thought (although it sounded familiar) that you had some inside information. 

You should still be able to go modify your post.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Enertias and Empulses will be sold alongside GSX-Rs and...Bring it on!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 07:35:53 AM »
Here's the original article:
http://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle_news/industry_news_articles/10q3/brammo_partners_with_flextronics_-_industry_news

But Bramscher says the company is capable of much more. “These guys don’t just build electronics boards. When I toured the factory, I was very impressed. The flexibility of the assembly lines lends itself well to products like ours. I thought, ‘Wait a second, they could build and manage our whole sub-chassis—all the assemblies, all the wiring.’”

As a result of this new tie-up, final assembly now becomes the smallest part of the bike-manufacturing process. “It’s not insignificant,” said Bramscher, “but it represents a tiny piece of what’s necessary to get a bike into a customer’s hands.”

I'm curious what final assembly means. I'll take a blind guess: Flextronics will handle everything up through welding the frame. The assemblies will either be shipped back to Brammo, or they will be assembled by an outsourcer or local Brammo satellite. Since the assemblies are being built-close to the point of consumption, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to ship them back to Brammo in CO. I hope for local Brammo satellites, since Brammo would retain some role in the construction, and also would allow them to directly control QA.

Because this partnership has been a work in progress, benefits such as longer battery life are already in place, as evidenced by some of the claimed performance features built into the recently unveiled Empulse naked sportbike.

Sorry, that doesn't follow at all. The Empulse has a stupid-good range claim because they're speccing batteries with stupid-good specific energy claims. This has nothing to do with Flextronics, unless Leyden Energy made their battery supply contingent upon a certain number of sales or breadth of distribution that partnering with Flextronics gave Brammo.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/