Author Topic: Removing lower battery modules  (Read 705 times)

new-brammo-guy

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
Removing lower battery modules
« on: August 26, 2022, 07:28:45 AM »
Korbin and others: do I understand the shop manual correctly (attached) that the lower battery module assembly for the Victory Empulse can be removed w/out removing the upper?

new-brammo-guy

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
Re: Removing lower battery modules
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 07:29:58 AM »
Second page attached

Korbin Dallas

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 09:47:55 AM »
yes it can
In the picture there is a small shelf on either side of the frame that the upper battery sits on.
It has the red strip on it
2013 Brammo Empulse #602 INOP Sold
2016 Victory Empulse #199
2003 Suzuki SV1000S

KaFr

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 02:08:13 PM »
I would be very interested in the weight of the upper and lower package. Based on the weight of the Brammo Empulse modules, which weigh approximately 10kg, I would estimate the weight of the lower Victory pack to be 35kg and the weight of the upper pack to be 48kg.

Did you weigh your Victory packages before breaking them down, Korbin?
Is it possible to remove the lower package without using the lift pulley?
Can one person handle the lower package?
Ovaobike MCR-M 2022 #24
Victory Empulse TT 2016 #150
Brammo Enertia Plus 2013 #205
Peugeot E-Vivacity 2012 #978
Renault Fluence Z.E. 2012

Korbin Dallas

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 02:20:12 PM »
No I didn't weigh the modules. I can tell you that the lower one is manageable for one person. The upper one I have lifted by myself. I dont recommend that . The hoists I used because I had it and could better control the removal. A floor jack would also work on the lower. the upper one if you had two people you can remove all the bolts and it will just sit there. It is hard to grasp when lifting because you dont want your figures under it when you set it down.
2003 Suzuki SV1000S

new-brammo-guy

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2022, 02:13:26 PM »
Korbin, did you need to drain the coolant fluid when removing the lower module? The manual makes it seem like you just unbolt the radiator and motor controller and tie them off to the side (while removing the lower module). Thanks a lot

Korbin Dallas

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2022, 04:13:28 PM »
I recommend that you do remove the radiator. you will need to drain the coolant. The water pump is mounted at the rear of the bottom module and is in the way. It is also plastic and seems very fragile. I would not take the chance of it getting damaged. Also the radiator is mounted to the module, so it will have to be removed. You should be able to get the bottom module off without  taking the top module off the bike. The motor controller can be just moved off to the side being careful not to get the wiring in a bind.

Since my bike is completely apart I cant say for sure if one could actually get that off without draining and removing the radiator. It would be nice to streamline this process for the future and reduce the amount of time to do this repair. In my opinion since parts are getting harder to source I would take all precautions to reduce possible damage to other components while doing this work. Also a good time flush out that old coolant.

PS clamps are single use and will need to be replaced with something more maintenance friendly.
2003 Suzuki SV1000S

Korbin Dallas

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 06:11:45 PM »
Weight of upper module 98 lbs
2003 Suzuki SV1000S

Korbin Dallas

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2022, 06:15:30 PM »
You will need the clamp device to remove the cover of the module. I could not put the cover back on with out putting the clamps back on. Mind you I did do a complete disassembly. So please post your results
2003 Suzuki SV1000S