Author Topic: Talk to me like I'm stupid- L2 charging infrastructure  (Read 698 times)

roma258

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Talk to me like I'm stupid- L2 charging infrastructure
« on: June 08, 2015, 12:01:27 PM »
I've had my Empulse for 6 months now and only used an L2 charger once. Most of my trips have been in town, or to visit the rents where I can "top-off" at their garage. The one time I used a J1772 outlet, I researched on Plugshare and found a free charger far enough to work for a longer ride (about 90 miles total). What I'm having problems with is differentiating between Chargepoint, Blink and other providers. Do you need to have a separate account to use each? For example, I activated the Chargepoint card that came with the bike, but when I tried to use it at what showed up as a Chargepoint outlet in the app, no amount of waving the card did anything (and the outlet was labeled as something else). And why the hell can't you just pay with a credit card at these things anyway?

Anyway, I searched, didn't find the answers I was looking for, so hence this post. Keep in mind, I'm on the east coast, where our infrastructure is not as robust, so the ability to be able to plan ahead confidently is pretty important. So looking for some best practices that folks have developed with their experience.

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Talk to me like I'm stupid- L2 charging infrastructure
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 01:28:42 PM »
Every network is unique and there is little, if any, cross capability.  The sensors for the key fob's are sometimes hard to identify, you just press the fob against various parts of the charge station until something happens.

Plugshare is great, but the information is not always accurate.  Since it is community based, correct the information when it needs it.  Read the comments for the charge stations when planning your routes, that can help you identify ones that area actually working and available.  Post a comment when you visit a charge station, even if you don't charge there.

Equip yourself with the cards that work for the charge stations in your area.  Expect to pay ~$5 for each network you sign up with.  Some require a small deposit and subtract your usage from that, allowing you to replenish your account as needed.  I have 5 different network cards/fobs but primary use only two, Chargepoint and the one which is specific to the LA Metro stations.  I have occasionally used the others, but they are there mostly to give me options.

Some networks allow you to use a smartphone app instead of a key fob which saves you the $5 start up cost.  Telephone numbers are starting to appear on more charge stations allowing you to pay by phone with a credit card and not have an account.  This is still the exception rather than the rule.

Visit the charge stations that might be useful to you and see if they are working, even if you don't need to charge that day.  They are not always in an obvious location.  Have a backup plan, the station you are expecting to use might be occupied or broken.  Once you find a reliable location, travel becomes less stressful and you can explore new charging locations, knowing you have a reliable backup location.

Many locations are free with no network, some are free but networked so you need the key fob to unlock the cord or start the charging session.  If its free to use, it is more likely to be occupied. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 01:39:57 PM by Chocula »

roma258

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Talk to me like I'm stupid- L2 charging infrastructure
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 03:06:26 PM »
Thanks for the response. So essentially the solution is to join all the different networks and develop a list of reliable stations over time. I guess that's the price of early adoption, but it seems like it should be easier than that.