Author Topic: Front wheel removal fyi  (Read 958 times)

barboo

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Front wheel removal fyi
« on: April 26, 2014, 10:48:13 AM »
Not sure how many of you have removed the front wheel, but fyi as it wasn't mentioned in the Brammo instructions. You won't be able to use a standard front stand. The weight of the bike on the stand puts the forks slightly out of alignment making inserting the axle an impossible to very hard task. You'll have to use a pin type stand or side-stands like what I used below. This is the first bike I've had where a standard front stand didn't work for front wheel removal so thought this would help others.

1973 Honda CL350 (For Fun)
1999 BMW K1200RS (Daily ride)
2007 Aprilia Tuono R (Street)
2005 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Wife's Track)
2012 BMW S1000RR (Race / Track)
2013 Brammo Empulse R (Race / Track / Street)

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Front wheel removal fyi
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 04:52:00 PM »
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 04:56:12 PM »

barboo

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 08:40:28 AM »
Would this type of stand do the job?

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Widow-Triple-Tree-Motorcycle-Stand/dp/B004JKKW14
The stand is the right type, but none of the pins they mention would fit the Empulse R's triple tree underneath. Measured the pin hole underneath the tree with calipers...inside diameter is 10.44 mm .411 in.

barboo

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 08:41:33 AM »

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 12:45:39 AM »
Would this type of stand do the job?

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Widow-Triple-Tree-Motorcycle-Stand/dp/B004JKKW14
The stand is the right type, but none of the pins they mention would fit the Empulse R's triple tree underneath. Measured the pin hole underneath the tree with calipers...inside diameter is 10.44 mm .411 in.

Well, ya know I just hate it when I'm told I can't do something! 

Interestingly, the opening in mine measures 11 mm.

I wrote to both Pit Bull and Woodcraft to see if they would make us a pin, and they both said it would  be too fragile, even with the tool steel they use in the the 13 mm.

I'm thinking that I could probably safely drill out that hole 2 more measly mm,  but I'm not sure I want to risk my life on that bet!

Also, while I was down there scoping things out, I saw 7 threaded holes, 6 mm in diameter drilled into the bottom surface of the triple clamp. Anybody (Brian?) know what these are for? Could they be used to attach a plate that could then be acted upon by a triple tree lift? It would seem to me that something fastened with 7x 6mm machine screws would be very sturdy and more stable than one pin, even a fat one. (The gears are turning, but is the mind in neutral?!)

barboo

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 12:08:43 PM »
Well, ya know I just hate it when I'm told I can't do something! 

Interestingly, the opening in mine measures 11 mm.

I wrote to both Pit Bull and Woodcraft to see if they would make us a pin, and they both said it would  be too fragile, even with the tool steel they use in the the 13 mm.

I'm thinking that I could probably safely drill out that hole 2 more measly mm,  but I'm not sure I want to risk my life on that bet!

Also, while I was down there scoping things out, I saw 7 threaded holes, 6 mm in diameter drilled into the bottom surface of the triple clamp. Anybody (Brian?) know what these are for? Could they be used to attach a plate that could then be acted upon by a triple tree lift? It would seem to me that something fastened with 7x 6mm machine screws would be very sturdy and more stable than one pin, even a fat one. (The gears are turning, but is the mind in neutral?!)

Here's another option...I've seen some folks use these type stands at the track: http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-stand-lift/p/BW-292/

I'm unsure if it fits with the Empulse.

Another option, but you'd need a front stand or jack to get them in there: http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=2370 - this is similar to the stands I used.