Author Topic: BrammoBrian's Mods.  (Read 5436 times)

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: BrammoBrian's Mods.
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 11:42:51 PM »
thunk . . thunk . . BANG . . thunk

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 07:35:28 PM »
Brian, or Shiny...

For the Rizoma turn signals, which schema did you use?

Or, are the Empulse turn indicators LED, 6-<10W, 21W or 10W?

Thanks...this is my next project...but I am electrically challenged...I see a schematic and my eyes instantly glaze over and I start thinking about projects more fun than electrical work on motorcycles...like getting a root canal, or doing self removal of an ingrown toenail...

Thx

G

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 02:08:45 AM »
I definitely remember having to use a resistor. I think the OEM's are 10W. (I have forgotten after suturing my own appendectomy.)

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 11:02:15 AM »
crap!?  I ordered the lights but didn't see anything mentioned about resistors.  On the link briam had there are some connectors for a ducati....would that work?

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 12:56:09 PM »
The lights come with resistors in the box...it's just that there are 4 different scheimatics of how to use the resistors depending on the current set up.

Now if the Empulse had LED turn signals, then no resistors needed. But I will need to use the resistors included in some pattern...I just don't know which yet and I am hesitant to try at random as I am NOT an electrical guy at all.

Gavin

#47 (formerly 9 of 30)

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2013, 08:49:49 PM »
I found some no-name 14 led amber turn signals on Amazon.com for $9.95 a pair. I have put two on the back as of today. They work fine so far and are very bright. I did have to drill the mount holes a little bigger.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008R099CA/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I took a picture after I had put one in for reference. Much smaller profile, but same "arrow" shape.
#47 (formerly 9 of 30)

#47 (formerly 9 of 30)

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2013, 08:56:18 PM »
New light on right - old on left.
The tip also blinks so it shows from the side.

David

PS, both sides are done now on back.
#47 (formerly 9 of 30)

#47 (formerly 9 of 30)

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2013, 02:51:29 PM »
Well I just figured out you can change one set (front or back), but not both. Then the resister need arises. So I will only do the back (which is where I wanted it brighter anyway) and leave the front stock.

Oh, yeah. One more thing. If you are messing around testing turn signals with the key on, you need a ten amp fuse to fix the burned out one. But now I have spares!

David

And it is not the small bolt that releases the seat, but the larger one behind it.
#47 (formerly 9 of 30)

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 12:26:45 PM »
Well I found something that says that for replacement turn signal bulbs for the Empulse you should use a 12V 18W Bulb...

so i am even more confused as Rizoma has schematics for no resistors for straight LED to LED replacement or for 6-<10W bulbs, or 21W bulbs or 10W bulbs...

Should I go with the 21W bulb scheima?

Gavin

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 12:36:56 PM »
I wouldn't think that Brammo is using old thermal style flashers where it needs a minimum load in order to flash correctly. I can't see any on the bike under the faux-tank. I think they're all electronic, so any LED bulb should work..... maybe contact Brammo directly and ask.

Trying without resistors shouldn't hurt anything.... if it does anything, it'll just change the blink rate.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2013, 05:34:36 PM »
Well Matt from Brammo told me they are 10w, so I used that schema and it was pretty easy...

I am the opposite of Brian (bizarrobrian?)...I did the rear turn signals today...I will likely tackle the fronts tonight or tomorrow...looks like I have to remove the headlight shroud...and I want to do that a bit carefully as there are tons more wires and all that...I should wrap that one connection too while I have it open...so want to make sure which one it is...

G

Photos soon...

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2013, 07:02:29 PM »
I should wrap that one connection too while I have it open...so want to make sure which one it is...
The photo on this forum is a very good clue. Otherwise, just look for a white, squarish, 6-pin automotive connector, as it's the only one like that under the headlight shroud. Tape that bad boy!

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 10:18:48 AM »
Eh, as my lovely wife would say, I grew a pair and went a head and did the front signals too...so I will wait a while before reopening that front shroud to wrap that connector as the hardest part was getting the last screw back in that dang front headlight

We don't get much rain here anyways so I'm not overly worried.

So mod update....all four turn signals on, swing arm sliders, land split mirrors and vanity plate with carbon fiber cover and fancy license plate bolts all done...not sure what's next...might take a modding break :)

Photos soon...

Gavin

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2013, 05:54:52 PM »
On the last headlight shroud screw... ya just gotta push firmly to make the holes line up, keep pressure on the shroud, and start the machine screw a coupla turns and then you're good to go.

First time, I was afraid to push as hard as I needed to, but it really does work and nothing breaks.

In short, Gavin, Shove It!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 08:45:20 PM by Shinysideup »

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2013, 12:25:22 PM »
Quick update... I also added the clear Pro-grip tank protector.  It's a pretty good fit for the Empulse "tank" and does a good job keeping the area from getting scuffed by belts, etc...