Author Topic: B40 error tackling  (Read 2495 times)

EV promise

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Re: B40 error tackling
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2023, 09:04:53 PM »
Hi acceler, I'm pleased you've found the cause of the data loss though sad at the same time and thank you for the image.
Was that board from module 7?
I hope you find no more damage and this can be rectified.
I was going to add to my earlier post that you might want to check the data connection area/ cable between boards 6 and 7 however that's answered now.
Thanks for keeping us updated.
Brammo Empulse R 2014
Aprilia Shiver 900 2018
Ducati 750SS 1997

acceler

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2023, 10:08:46 PM »
It was on the positive side of the battery. Hope that was module 7. But tomorrow I'm going to pull the other 2 boards and start cleaning everything and replace the screws with new stainless screws.
Does anyone have a replacement victory board? I may have a guy that can repair it but IDK how bad it is till I get it cleaned up.
Thanks for all your help. I really loved my bike 121. And regretted selling it back to Polaris. So for me to find this bike 48 just 15 minutes from my house and as cheap as I did was like a blessing.
I love EVs (i got a cake kalk, a suron, an some ebikes)and am so excited to see this piece of history ride again. Hopefully I can get this board fixed or replaced and be riding soon. Only has 1400 miles on the bike. It's it perfect shape too.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 10:16:51 PM by acceler »

Korbin Dallas

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2023, 08:48:08 AM »
pm sent
2013 Brammo Empulse #602 INOP Sold
2016 Victory Empulse #199
2003 Suzuki SV1000S

Haplo

• Enciter
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2023, 04:52:35 AM »
Good news. The Brammo is back to live again!

The plan for today was to measure the difference between the U38 temperature component of a correct measuring PCB to the PCB of Module 4 which has been giving faulty readings. For this I had to reassemble Module 4 and put it back into the bike, since I have no other means to power it and check it. I cleaned all the contacts very thoroughly and used nice clean fasteners to mount the PCB back on the module. Then I opened up module 3 to act as the cross-reference. Was feeling a bit bad about that, cause module 3 seemed to be sealed right and function right. However, I had 2 modules to reseal anyway (Modules 4 and 6 are leaking) so having a third didn't make that much of a difference, right..? It was nice to see Module 3 indeed was completely dry inside. No signs of moisture at all. All fittings as new and the paper inside also completely dry. Nice to see!!

After reinstalling the M4 back into the bike things turned out differently than expected. With the multimeter ready to go I switched ignition on but before starting measuring U38 I thought... Lets first see if the error returns,... And it didnt.. :) It actually came back to life already... See: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/AR6yiKgjXIk Of course i'm very happy with that! But also feels weirdly unstatisfying.. It doesn't feel I actually repaired anything..

Ah well.. It lives!

But I still had work to do on module 6, which was still unopened in the bike. So dismantled the controller and took out Module 5 after taking out Module 6. I set aside Module 5 since it doesn't have any error codes and so hopefully will be as nice inside as Module3. Module 6 however was bad inside. A lot of water there. I set it onto a tissue to make it visible. I was worried that the PCB might also be affected since this Module is upside-down in the bike with the PCB now in the bottom part of the module. But luckily the PCB seems to sits just high enough up from the actual bottom to not have been reached by the water level. So the PCB is looking OK.

So with the bike working again and the 2 faulty modules up for drying whats left is to reseal the modules. Although I see that Brammo actually really did their best and took a lot of effort and good steps to seal these modules, it clearly wasn't enough. Right now I think I will try to do a better job by using a lot of silicon-sealer, but not entirly sure this is going to be enough. The surfaces, materials and forms of the module just aren't that suitable for a completely waterthight seal to my opinion. Any idea's or suggestions to seal the modules are very welcome!

Haplo

• Enciter
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2023, 04:58:55 AM »
And some more pictures of Module 6. A lot of moisture there.. Well,.. Moisture? Hmm.. thats putting it a bit too lightly. There was just a puddle of water there.. :(

Haplo

• Enciter
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2023, 05:06:24 AM »
Ah... and I would really to analyse the new data. I would like to take a look at the readings of Module 4 with the bike working again. Are the readings of moisture and temperature in this module back to normal? Also the B9 error should be because Module 6 was still unopened at that time. @EV Promise. Can you convert the files attached?

And although I'm very happy with your service of converting, EV Promise, I would also like to be able to do it myself. When I have the bike back on the road, reading the log, now and then seems to be a good way to keep checking the health of the modules as stuff. Can someone help me installing software to convert the files?

EV promise

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2023, 07:04:44 AM »
Hello Bert, I've converted and uploaded the files below. You are correct, only the relative humidity value in module 6 is preventing a clean sweep of really good values.
To look at the files yourself you need the "bikelogstoexcel" program from this forum. There is a link to.the website .It's a zip that creates an exe file and another smaller file. It runs on my win10 64bit laptop.  You run it and then select the .drv or .chg file you want to convert. Then you need Excel to open the .csv file.
Hope that helps and I'm pleased your bike is running.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 07:06:19 AM by EV promise »
Brammo Empulse R 2014
Aprilia Shiver 900 2018
Ducati 750SS 1997

EV promise

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2023, 07:49:26 AM »
As module 6 is so wet i thought I would add the data sheet below for a Honeywell sensor in case you feel the need to replace it. You'll have to make a judgment if it's the right one. It's definitely made by Honeywell, tiny writing on it and correct size.
Brammo Empulse R 2014
Aprilia Shiver 900 2018
Ducati 750SS 1997

Haplo

• Enciter
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2023, 08:12:50 AM »
As module 6 is so wet i thought I would add the data sheet below for a Honeywell sensor in case you feel the need to replace it. You'll have to make a judgment if it's the right one. It's definitely made by Honeywell, tiny writing on it and correct size.

THanks for your help again, EV Promise! Hmm.. I indeed see humidity it's still at 100% in the LOG, but actually think that is correct. I didn't open up Module 6 just yet when the LOG file was made. And since I found puddles of water inside Module 6, i'd expect the sensor will be right. But we will know soon enough, cause the module is open now and drying.

I'm actually really anxious to assemble the whole bike and start riding again! But I know it would be foolish to do so without taking serious care to seal those modules. Rainy season is about to enter here, and I really didn't by this bike to only ride it in dry conditions. Hell,.. Dry conditions in NL? Are you kidding! We invented the word 'rain' around here and have about a trillions words for it,.. There are even youtube video's made about that: https://youtu.be/Ys-KP8oPdvg?si=GTPRllW9zStPRVSP&t=41.. Pretty funny..  :) :) :)

So I really want to make the Brammo weather-proof..  :D

About the conversion programm.. I did download the converter, but I get an error: see picture in attachment: missing cvirte.dll or something... Also running Win10x46. Any suggestions?

EV promise

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2023, 08:56:57 AM »
I see that. That file comes with the ixxat software. You don't need the ixxat hardware but you do need to download VCI 2.20  software from the ixxat website. The file is from a LabVIEW program that is parf of the suite. Hopefully that will fix it.
Quite the water line. Front mudguard is useless, I fear for the head bearing but maybe I should be worried about the modules. Done 10k km  in 3 years on mine. Bought it from Germany. Had 10k on then.
I've downloaded my data stick and all is well though module 6 on mine has 73 per cent humidity and the rest 55.
Rains here a lot too....... though fine and warm today in Lincolnshire. Take care
Brammo Empulse R 2014
Aprilia Shiver 900 2018
Ducati 750SS 1997

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2023, 10:01:08 AM »
Great news haplo!
It's so unfortunate that they weren't able to truly waterproof the modules. So many problems because of this oversight.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Haplo

• Enciter
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2023, 01:47:57 PM »
I see that. That file comes with the ixxat software. You don't need the ixxat hardware but you do need to download VCI 2.20  software from the ixxat website. The file is from a LabVIEW program that is parf of the suite. Hopefully that will fix it.
Quite the water line. Front mudguard is useless, I fear for the head bearing but maybe I should be worried about the modules. Done 10k km  in 3 years on mine. Bought it from Germany. Had 10k on then.
I've downloaded my data stick and all is well though module 6 on mine has 73 per cent humidity and the rest 55.
Rains here a lot too....... though fine and warm today in Lincolnshire. Take care

Got the converter working.. Thanks EV Promise! Downloading VCI 2.20 did not do the trick, instead google suggested to download this: https://www.ni.com/en/support/downloads/software-products/download.labwindows-cvi.html#353603
Don't know what it is exactly, but seems like LabVIEW. I unchecked as many boxes as I could for the install, but it was pretty hefty anyway. I assume there can be a easier way to do it, but this worked.

I'm not so worried about the head bearing. I haven't given it any close looks to be honest, but as far as I looked at it, the construction doesn't seem any different from any other bike I know. Or are you specifically worried bout your own ones, EV Promise?

And yeah.. in the UK it rains a lot aswell.. Maybe even more than in NL.. :)

EV promise

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2023, 02:28:34 PM »
I'm pleased the program runs. An armchair pastime for rainy days!

Brammo Empulse R 2014
Aprilia Shiver 900 2018
Ducati 750SS 1997

Haplo

• Enciter
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2023, 11:45:14 PM »
Great news haplo!
It's so unfortunate that they weren't able to truly waterproof the modules. So many problems because of this oversight.

Thanks Brammofan! I'm very happy aswell! I will keep you updated in the re-sealing of the modules.

@Acceler.. So cleaning stuff did make a difference with mine PCB's.. How were your results over the weekend?

acceler

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2023, 08:47:07 PM »
It cleaned the corrosion but unfortunately a few traces were broken. So I ether got to repair or replace the board.