Author Topic: Cut Out During Hard Acceleration  (Read 823 times)

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cut Out During Hard Acceleration
« on: January 14, 2021, 07:22:17 AM »
My Empulse has done this twice recently.  When I enter a freeway on ramp and I go wide open the bike will cut out.  It feels like it is hitting a low voltage cutout.  It started doing this recently while the weather is cool like around 60F and I still had about 70% SOC left. 

Today I rode it and got on it hard entering the freeway and it was totally fine.  Weather was slightly warmer today though 70s.  I'm thinking it has to do with the battery temp, its not happy when it cool.

I managed to get a video of one of the times it happened.  Pretty scary I go WOT to overtake the car and it suddenly cuts out.  The last time I pulled over to the shoulder and restarted the bike.  But this time I shut the bike off and turn it back on and fired it back on all while loosing speed and cars passing me.  Next time I will see if I can just use the kill switch on and off and then fire the bike up.  Has anyone else experienced this?

2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Cut Out During Hard Acceleration
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 09:10:45 AM »
I has something similar when starting out from a stop a couple of times while riding my Zero last year. I thought it was an electrical problem but eventually realized that the gloves that I was wearing at the time had a slippery palm and was slipping on the smooth and worn grip cover that I had installed on my bike. However, obviously that is not your issue after watching your video. Perhaps you have a tired cell that is triggering the power cutout when it drops below a certain voltage while under a load?
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

cybergodzilla

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 12:09:01 PM »
I used to ride to take long rides to Laguna, Hollywood, San Diego, Long Beach, Temecula... relying on the SOC to plan my ride. I used careful charging practices. Within a few years I started with these same problems within the warranty period. I documented this communication when getting maintenance. It is up to the point where it can happen in the 90% and I cannot hold CA Freeway speeds of 70-80mph.
(CyberCycle used to hit 113mph)

My work is nearby and I like to cruise around the city. My motorcycle is now an big electric bicycle now... Part of it is Battery temperature, but mostly it is a dangerous design defect. WOT the throttle and the Amps, bring down the battery Voltage significantly and triggers a BMS cutoff. Read Discussion Topic "Sudden drop in State of Charge" for further details.

Energy is there, I can still ride the bike a longer distances; Just at reduced speeds =/
2014 Empulse =D
2014 CBR650F B-)
2014 CFR250L =O

Ultratoad

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 02:25:34 PM »
My Empulse has done this twice recently.  When I enter a freeway on ramp and I go wide open the bike will cut out.  It feels like it is hitting a low voltage cutout.  It started doing this recently while the weather is cool like around 60F and I still had about 70% SOC left. 

Today I rode it and got on it hard entering the freeway and it was totally fine.  Weather was slightly warmer today though 70s.  I'm thinking it has to do with the battery temp, its not happy when it cool.

I managed to get a video of one of the times it happened.  Pretty scary I go WOT to overtake the car and it suddenly cuts out.  The last time I pulled over to the shoulder and restarted the bike.  But this time I shut the bike off and turn it back on and fired it back on all while loosing speed and cars passing me.  Next time I will see if I can just use the kill switch on and off and then fire the bike up.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes....  Victory Empulse TT....  It has always been under full load acceleration in higher gears/higher RPM while passing cars, etc....  It has happened to me maybe 5-6 times....  As a result I roll on easier while passing-- no more problems....  Nothing like passing a car on a two lane mountain road and losing power for a couple of seconds !!!!  Had to take the opposing lane shoulder to avoid a head-on once !!!!  That really got my attention.

KaFr

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 02:52:55 PM »
Did any error code appear on the display?
Ovaobike MCR-M 2022 #24
Victory Empulse TT 2016 #150
Brammo Enertia Plus 2013 #205
Peugeot E-Vivacity 2012 #978
Renault Fluence Z.E. 2012

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 01:40:49 AM »
Yeah it's only happened if I open the throttle really quickly.  Strange because I did 3 trackdays last year and I never had this problem, but I am thinking it is because of the temperature, the battery is definitely more happy when it is warm or hot.  But yeah I think that is the problem the voltage sags too low and the BMS cuts off the power to prevent over discharge.  It would have been better if Brammo instead of cutting the power off just cut the dialed the power back, it's so scary happening on the freeway O_o'.

I still have the system fault B9 error all the time.  I'll just have to train myself to not open the throttle too fast I guess.  Haha after renting an Energica Eva 107 the Empulse is like a slug, I find myself opening the throttle much more.
2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139