Author Topic: Gavin's Brammo Enertia Review  (Read 3644 times)

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Gavin's Brammo Enertia Review
« on: December 06, 2011, 12:46:32 PM »
You knew it was on its way, and now it has finally arrived!  (No, not your Enertia Plus or your Empulse).  Find our own Gavin's review here:
http://brammofan.wordpress.com/2011/12/06/gavins-very-detailed-brammo-enertia-review/
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 02:50:48 PM by Brammofan »
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
Re: Gavin's Brammo Enertia Review
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 10:55:34 AM »
One addendum....

I was able to fit cord, disc alarm and a pair of gloves under the seat...barely

I still think that the depth of the seat could be increased easily without much change to the design and that storage would likely improve by 50%...which would still be small, but much more usable.

Gavin

edit...i haven't looked yet, but does the Enertia have a helmet hook on the seat? That would be a simple addition if no...will have to look at lunchtime....don't know why I didn't before...Doh!

« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 11:45:52 AM by Gavin »

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 11:42:05 AM »
Of course I'm not expecting scooter-like storage...

This is one area scooters kick ass...

my MP3-500 storage isn't even as good as the 250 or 400 as the engine is bigger, but it still holds tons...

Gavin

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 11:46:39 AM »
Yeah. I envy scooter storage capabilities.

One thing I expect we'll see as EVs mature is significantly different way to package powertrains, should open up some new storage cubbies.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 07:18:18 PM »
The Enertia does not have a helmet hook inside the seat compartment.  Now that I have Givi bags, I will keep a cable lock inside it, for running through my jacket sleeves and the full face helmet's opening.  Most of the time I just end up bringing my helmet with me.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 10:10:49 PM »
Yep, just was checking that...took a photo of my MP3-500 with the seat up...it has two small prongs...slip
D-ring of helmet over prong, close and lock seat and Boom...instant helmet holder...

It would be HELLA easy to do on the Enertia...and cost nothing...I wonder if Brammo has time to do this on the 2012 models...

Gavin

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 12:36:12 AM »
My GS500 has a similar setup.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

craigq

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 01:47:21 PM »
Odd question: Any sort of smell from the bike from the electrical components other than "new car smell" from the plastics etc. ?

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 05:28:20 PM »
Why yes that is an odd question :)

The bike I received had 450 miles on it (over 1200 now). I have noticed no smells.

Now maybe there are some at first.

And it is winter and I ride with a full face helmet...so some small smells could be hidden...but nothing so far.

Maybe more so in the summer, but probably not. The materials are very solid and top-notch...I wouldn't expect any issues with smells except maybe at break-in or if something goes very very wrong...

Gavin

craigq

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 07:06:23 PM »
Common with high-mount exhausts on ICE bikes is an exhaust smell. I was wondering if there's any associated electrical smell with e-bikes, that's all...

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 10:25:57 PM »
Yeah, my old 2 Stroke was quite aromatic... No real smell with the Enertia

Gavin

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 04:44:59 PM »
One more simple suggestion...I think this makes about 8 suggestions so far...mostly minor things...like this:

Ok, see this photo of me shoving gloves and cord and disc lock into under seat storage....

Now look at the electrical box on the upper portion. See the covered box on the bottom and left side with the mid and upper right side exposed...

Now a close up:

Covering the high voltage fuses on the left is smart. And exposing the mid right side where the low voltage fuses are is also smart as they are more likely to need replacing.

What I would like to see is the covered box extending over the round Flasher Unit on the top right. This flasher unit (which controls the turn signals) is pretty easy to dislodge. It does no damage being knocked with gloves and contact pins coming out of connection...but I've already accidentally done this twice...once I rode the whole day without turn signals thinking something was broke. Not a huge issue as I've ridden vintage scooters without signals many many times and can easily use hand signals...but I still do like to use signals when I have them.

It is easy enough to open seat and reseat the Flasher Unit into the correct spot and get the turn signals working again. But, since this isn't a part that should be needing replacement soon or often, well covering it make sense.

Brammo will get fewer calls and emails about how the turn signals have suddenly stopped working :)

Gavin
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 05:13:13 PM by Gavin »

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 02:52:00 AM »
Meanwhile... I notice an Allen head cap screw just to the side of the flasher.

Hmm... I'd be inclined to find some thin steel strap metal, drill a hole in one end, and bend it at right angles, up, over, and down the flasher cover. Then screw it. Problem, for you, solved.

You could even glue a piece of foam on the underside of the strap to avoid scratching the cover.

Even easier might be finding a plastic measuring cup, the kind that comes in a set with a handle molded to one side. Looking at the photo, maybe a 1/2 cup would do? Just drill the handle for the cap screw and you just taken a measured response to the problem. (I'm sorry. :-\)

But, if it's happened twice already, I agree: Brammo would do well to listen.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 01:39:51 AM by Shinysideup »

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 01:52:35 PM »
Gavin,

Yeah - the underseat storage isn't meant to hold much more than your charge cord.  If you need that space though, another thought is to just keep the charge cord wherever it is you charge (for me, it's only at home in my garage) and then you've got some extra space.  You won't be able to charge while you're out and about, but I never do anyhow.  I also keep a spare cord at work just in case. 

Alternatively, you could break down and go for the Givi lockable hardbags like I have.  Sure, the bike doesn't look as nice, but the utility is amazing.  If I can get over the aesthetics as the guy who designed the bike, I'm sure you can too!  ;)

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 01:55:54 PM »
But, if it's happened twice already, I agree: Brammo would do well to listen.

We're always listening... cue creepy music...  ;)