The Brammo Buying Experience > Wanting to buy

Where can I find a 2013 R?

(1/3) > >>

ttxgpfan:
OK, full disclosure. I have this good paying job (finally) and am digging my way out of a financial abyss. I am actually pretty much there. Now, I am looking to build my credit up and not looking to keep this job for much more than another year, assuming I get a teaching job next year. So, that will be a pay cut. I can either try to get a 2010 VFR1200 DCT demo, with 1900 miles on it, that will get me to races and Maine, and such. Or a 2013 Empulse R as both are $12k. I realize the VFR is the logical choice, but some of the guys on the boat here started poking fun about how long it would take to get to the tracks and my nothing is impossible/I'll show you attitude kicked in, and now I am fighting lust. Back to the cash part, my plan is to basically have this thing paid off in a little over a year. But, if I bought the Empulse, getting to Barber or Road Atlanta would be nearly impossible in a timely manner. Has anyone seriously thought about trying to stuff a bigger charger, like a 6kW or 9kW? I am pretty sure I could kiss my warranty good bye.

Besides all that, where in the heck do you find a left over 2013 R? For $2k more the VFR beats the 2014 R.

Thoughts?

protomech:
I've thought about a larger charger.

Two Meanwell RSP-2000-48 in series won't quite give enough voltage for a full charge, but it should provide constant current up to about 80% capacity.

These could be configured with two J1772 inlets (1 for stock Powercharger 3000, 1 for 2x RSP stack) or as a single J1772 inlet with RSP-2000 with less power.

2 J1772 inlet, 8 kW 208/240V AC, 69A DC (24A + 45A), 50% charge in a bit less than 40 minutes.
1 J1772 inlet, 7 kW 240V AC, 61A DC (24A + 37A), 50% charge in about 45 minutes
1 J1772 inlet, 6 kW 208V AC, 53A DC (24A + 29A), 50% charge in about 51 minutes

Another option is a second Powercharger 3000, for a total charge rate of 6 kW (48A DC).

BrammoBrian:
Richard,

Congratulations on the job and more importantly - getting back on two wheels!  I'd love nothing more than to see you on an Empulse, so let me know if there's anything I can do to help. 

I can appreciate your concerns about the practicality of your purchase, but I can assure you that on that Honda you'll just be another motorcyclist, but on the Brammo, you'll be a part of the future of an industry. Seriously, just imagine how smug you'll feel owning a product that you know so much about, and have been so close to, the development of.   8)

Whatever you choose will be fine... But, I'm sure you'll make the right decision.  ;)

littlefreak3000:
I did the math of a Empulse over a gas bike (FZ-07 in my case) and the Empulse comes out close if not cheaper then a gas bike at half the price when you consider factors like cost for gas and insurance. The insurance I found (might vary for you) is a lot cheaper for an Empulse then a 600cc bike. The more you ride the bike the cheaper it gets too! Do some math yourself right now is the best time to get an Empulse but I'd think you gotta act fast.

skuzzle:

--- Quote from: ttxgpfan on September 06, 2014, 03:06:07 AM ---...Besides all that, where in the heck do you find a left over 2013 R? For $2k more the VFR beats the 2014 R.
Thoughts?

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure that I could tolerate the VFR's ~35 MPG.  I think Honda blew it when they replaced the 800 VFR with the 1200.  I use to ride my VFR 800 from Portland OR to Laguna Seca often.

You could always save $2000 and get the normal Empulse and then find some used cheap sport touring bike for the occasional tour.  Perhaps a Triumph Sprint 1050, VFR 800, ST1300, etc.  Vstroms make goes long distance bikes too (except the seat).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version