Brammo Empulse Discussion > Brammo Empulse Mods

Excerpt from Brandon (diginow supercharger):

<< < (2/5) > >>

Barbarossa:
Thank you Jay! In the meantime I will find out who in our opinion would be the best in question, but I already have some idea. Is this installation the same you mentioned in the "Charging input ports:" post?

Jay64:
Yeah, same install as I mentioned before. I just picked up a Brammo a few weeks ago, so I will be installing and thoroughly testing a DigiNow SCV2 shortly. I've already installed one on my Zero and tested 2k+ miles with it. Great charger. Small, compact foot print, lots of power and also vibration/shock/weather proof. I've seen a few others on the market that really aren't designed to be on a moving vehicle out in the weather.

Barbarossa:
Great! Please report from yours.

turbotortuga:
This seems awesome but super pricey. Still it could be an option to replace a faulty charger on someones bike in case of catastrophic failure. Otherwise I really don't see the benefit of faster charging for these orphan bikes that are probably not worth much more than the 2.5K it takes to buy one.

Jay64:
It definitely isn't "super pricey" for what you are getting. $2500 quoted above is with install. As for the cost of the 6.6kw unit itself, it is only $400 more than the stock brammo charger, which is 3kw. But true, not everyone needs faster charging, lot of people ride less than the brammo range in one day. But for those that want to ride more than one charge worth in a day, faster charging is the missing link between gas bikes and electric bikes. I've done lots of long range testing with electric bikes through the years. Back in the day I had 6.1kw of charging that cost about $2000 just for two of the 2.4kw chargers (also used my stock zero charger). And the DigiNow SCV2 6.6kw is smaller than one of those chargers, so it fits easily inside of the bike instead of needing extra saddle bags or cases. Not to mention it is also weather and vibration proof.
Like I said, the above price is including install and part of the install is putting in a new charging port that can handle the power. From what I've seen, the stock charger port can't handle the stock charging power. I've seen/heard of quite a few that have melted those undersized anderson plugs. Even the wires in the stock jplug inlet are pretty under sized as well. I would personally get the tesla destination plug in the install and then get the tesla-jplug adaptor for use at jplug stations.

As for the SOC gauge, if you turn your ignition key to park (P on the ignition, past Lock), then the font parking light and the tail light will turn on (like it does when you are charging) which allows charging and you can remove the key, and the SOC gauge will read correctly when you turn your bike back on after charging. Good practice to have your steering lock on while parked in public anyways.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version