General > Victory Empulse

Input on Charger Design

(1/4) > >>

Shinysideup:
What will the Victory Charger look like? Your guess is as good as mine. And Polaris isn’t talking yet, other than to tease with a “mid 2015” date, which has led many to speculate that it will be, at least for now, a re-branded Empulse that’s first out the chute.

But what about the future? Many have pointed out that a cruiser-style bike has the advantage of a low seat height (good for shorter folks and for the confidence of newbies) and provides plenty of room for batteries, increasing the range. And Victory IS a cruiser brand, after all.

When I saw the recent image of Arthur Kowitz’s nicely faired machine on Brammo’s FB page, it occurred to me that a design that was properly faired AND that had a lower center of gravity might be ideal for an EV moto design, even though we all “know” that bikers are conservative and resist new designs.

Here’s Arthur:

https://www.facebook.com/eMotoRacing/photos/pcb.915357935183598/915357751850283/?type=1&theater

But we also know that moto companies seem to have a challenge in attracting new riders. Maybe a new design would attract younger customers.

So when I saw Arthur’s carbon fiber wonder, what popped into my mind was Dan Gurney’s Alligator bike. In reading up on it, I was struck at how the wheelbase isn’t as long as looks (60" vs. 58" for the Empulse and 66.5" for a Victory Hammer 8-Ball), at how the low center of gravity was highly praised by professional riders who tried it out, and at how much space there would be for batteries.

You can read riders' impressions here:

http://allamericanracers.com/alligator-motorcycle-riders/

This one struck me as maybe of interest to Polaris' marketing department:

"Rick Haas, Sunday Rider: 'The Alligator is the most confidence-inspiring motorcycle I have ever ridden!' "

The basic design and lots of facts are here:

http://allamericanracers.com/alligator-motorcycle-dan-gurney-post/

A tricked out chromed-out version can be seen here:

Polaris, are you reading this? Can you see something like this recumbent approach, outfitted with the famous Victory sweeping bodywork, being an attractive, bold entry into the eMoto arena?

If it were light, aerodynamic, torquey, and handled curves with certainty and speed, I’d sure like to ride one. I'll bet a lot of riders would like to race one. Be sure to have options for luggage. Beating competitors' range wouldn't hurt either!

roma258:
I really, really hope it doesn't look like either of those bikes. Call me conservative, but that is such just too much of a leap for mainstream acceptance, no matter how many advantages it has. And considering that right now, electric motorcycles make the most sense in a crowded urban setting, a streamliner fairing just makes no sense. A nice half-fairing like this gentleman?

Sure. But some recumbent weirdness is a sure way to kill your electric brand (imho).

Richard230:
I figure that Polaris has had a lot of time to decide what form they want their electric bike to be.  My guess is that it will be a cruiser.  They have just never shown any interest in a sport bike and an e-cruiser would occupy a unique spot in the market.  Plus, they wouldn't be following H-D, but leading them. So that is what I am putting my 2 cents on.  ???

Shinysideup:
Both Richard and roma are undoubtedly correct. Still, I can dream! As for a recumbent design being weird, that's what they said about the first Prius and it's doing pretty well.

Richard230:
The problem that I see with the recumbent design is the low height of the rider while riding on a multi-lane highway.  I think that is why the Alligator didn't sell well (along with its high price). Who wants to be riding along the freeway with your head at the height of a semi-truck's axle and wondering it the truck will be changing lanes while you are stuck next to him?  (Some years ago, pocket bikes were all the rage and now you never see a one on the street. I think their low height contributed to their sales demise.)  I believe that most motorcycle riders feel a lot safer while riding when they are at least high enough off the pavement to see over a sedan's top, if not past an SUV's rear hatch. So I am not putting any money on any major motorcycle manufacturer coming out with a recumbent design.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version