Author Topic: Turn signals malfunctioning  (Read 793 times)

SEABrammo

• View Profile
Turn signals malfunctioning
« on: February 22, 2019, 08:02:59 PM »
So!  Bit of a pickle here. I live in Los Angeles and there isn’t a garage for miles around that’ll touch my bike - a 2013 Empulse R - for anything beyond basic repairs, so I’m DIYing it here.

A few weeks ago I left the Empulse parked outside during a dramatic and sudden LA rainstorm, sheets of it coming sideways. When I got back to it, the turn signals were acting funky - namely they would only turn on with the high beams engaged. When I got home, they were out completely. Everything on the bike is working fine besides the turn signals.

So I got started investigating and took the bike apart. I ordered and installed a new left hand switch. Checked the fuses, none were blown. I broke out the multimeter and started testing every pin and wire for continuity, and eventually noticed no voltage in the flasher power pin. I found the relay, checked it for continuity, and it was busted. The replacement came today, I tested it and plugged it in... And still nothing.

Unsure what to do from here. Everything in the switch and the left hand harness seems fine, the only constant is that I’m still not detecting any voltage for the flasher coming through at the left harness. Everything else is working fine, including the hi-beam and brake light. I’ve stuck the multimeter everywhere and found nothing else suspicious besides that, and I’m wondering if I’m out of options. Can’t figure out where to look from here and there’s no one around who seems to be able to figure it out. Any ideas would be appreciated!

SEABrammo

• View Profile
Re: Turn signals malfunctioning
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 03:16:40 PM »
Okay, updates. I need to know if the whole bike is a loss now, which would suck.

After hours and hours with a multimeter, the best guess I have is that the wire for the flasher in the left hand wiring harness has shorted out since it has no continuity. Problem is that there are no replacement LH harnesses available. I ordered one for the 2016 TT but the connectors and wiring has changed for that so it's no good.

So I'm at a loss. The local Victory dealer no longer services Brammo models, I can't find any place to get a left hand wiring harness for the 2013 model Empulse R, and do top it all off, I'm not even 100% sure that's the issue, just my best effort observation. The only solution I can imagine is ripping up the wiring harness and trying to replace the wire, in which case I'm more likely to just cause further problems.

Is there anything I can do or anywhere to get this part? I'm heartbroken, been riding this bike for three or four years and now it's sitting in the garage because the turn signals are busted and I'm stuck. Everything else is working fine. Are there other options? And if there are no options - what can I do with the bike besides sitting it in the garage forever?

Leander

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Turn signals malfunctioning
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 04:48:25 AM »
Did you check the bulbs them self?

otherwise just wire up some new lose wires.

blinkers are dead easy and do not have to do anything with the bike it self apart from the power source.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 04:51:15 AM by Leander »