Author Topic: The Carbon Fiber Era Enertia  (Read 1888 times)

Mithion

• Brammovangelist
  • Raised on a Harley but all about electric power!
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Carbon Fiber Era Enertia
« on: August 28, 2012, 08:25:48 AM »
Did the Enertia prototypes circa 2008 with the carbon fiber frames and body pieces have any significant weight difference over the current Enertia with the aluminum frame a plastic body pieces?

If so, was it even enough to produce an increase in performance due to that lower weight?

I am guessing Brammo opted to go with an aluminum frame for cost reasons.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 09:08:07 AM by Mithion »

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: The Carbon Fiber Era Enertia
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 08:48:18 AM »
A while back Brammo was selling replacement carbon fiber body bits for the Enertia.

I emailed Brammo about the weight of the stock ABS fender and the carbon fiber fender - the stock was 0.9 pounds, the carbon fiber was 0.7 pounds.

IIRC the prototype weight was claimed to be sub 300 lbs. But it was billed as a 0-60 mph acceleration time of 4s, too.

Cost is no doubt a driver, but Brammo may have found that volume production with a carbon fiber frame was not feasible.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Mithion

• Brammovangelist
  • Raised on a Harley but all about electric power!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Carbon Fiber Era Enertia
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 09:11:19 AM »
Makes you wonder if you could get your hands on an all carbon fiber Enertia and test it against a production one, what would be the difference, if any, in performance.

On another note I know Brammo sells the carbon fiber front fender, it would be cool to have carbon fiber side panels also. Something about a Plus in blue with carbon fiber black panels and fenders is just beautiful!!!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 09:20:37 AM by Mithion »

werm_works

• Empulse Guru
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jeffyyaki
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - vespa_1004
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Carbon Fiber Era Enertia
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 04:30:18 PM »
I have a Enertia carbon fiber rear fender and top body panel if your interested in buying it,

It's one f the proto type panels so it would require some drilling on the panels etc