Author Topic: Old dead Brammo, dash won't turn on, battery help!  (Read 2129 times)

CObramm

• View Profile
Old dead Brammo, dash won't turn on, battery help!
« on: March 27, 2020, 04:23:34 PM »
Hi, My brother moved out of the country and I'm trying to get his old Brammo Enertia up and running again. It hasn't in 4 years or so and has been in the garage for storage. I plugged it in for a few days and the dash won't come on. I checked all fuses and they look good. Next step I think is to try to bring up the battery charge individually with an external battery charger (I have a 12v). How do I get access to those things? Any other suggestions? thank you!

KaFr

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Old dead Brammo, dash won't turn on, battery help!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 06:39:36 AM »
Hi,
you must first remove all covers. Then you have to remove the charger at the top and the electronics at the bottom. You will then have access to all 12V battery contacts. If the batteries flash red or green, you can save them. If they don't blink at all, they're dead.
Ovaobike MCR-M 2022 #24
Victory Empulse TT 2016 #150
Brammo Enertia Plus 2013 #205
Peugeot E-Vivacity 2012 #978
Renault Fluence Z.E. 2012

CObramm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 02:12:19 PM »
thank you! after you remove the body covering and unscrew the charger, how do you disconnect the top two electrical connections?

KaFr

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 01:29:31 PM »
First, disconnect the main blue connector on the red cable (security reasons!)

Then disconnect the two connectors connected to the charger as follows:

1) Slide the white lever slightly away from the connection to unlock the connector. Be careful not to break the lever, do not use too much force. (both connectors are already unlocked in the picture)

2) after unlocking, you can gently pull apart each of the two connectors.
Ovaobike MCR-M 2022 #24

KaFr

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 01:33:16 PM »
If you want to remove the whole charger, you must first disconnect it from the under-seat fuse box and also remove both fans.
Ovaobike MCR-M 2022 #24

KaFr

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 01:38:35 PM »
The bottom bracket with the Sevcon can only be folded down and supported with something. You don't have to disconnect the main contacts with the electric motor. All batteries can than be removed from the motorcycle frame.
Ovaobike MCR-M 2022 #24

CObramm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 12:13:11 PM »
Thanks for all your help here. I wonder if I have a different model because the batteries seems to be locked in. Any idea how to get access to them to try to charge / replace them? Thanks again

KaFr

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 05:26:51 AM »
Hi, I thought you had Enertia Basic, but it's actually Enertia Plus :-)

The procedure is the same except that the Enertia Plus does not have six 12V batteries,
but has two 44V battery modules.

In the picture you can see the removed bottom cover on my Brammo Enertia Plus and the bottom battery module with the Sevcon electronics attached. The main +/- contacts of the module are in the lower back of the case. There are also contacts for BMS.

If you get a charger suitable for lithium cells and 44V, you can try charging the modules separately. Can you measure the voltage of each module?

!But first, please disconnect the main contact inside the frame near the rear shock absorber!

If one of the battery modules cannot be charged using an external charger, the module will need to be disassembled and try to measure the voltage on each battery cell!

BTW: I also own the Enertia Plus, but so far I had no problem with the batteries. If it was necessary to disassemble the battery modules, a friend of mine from Italy has the experience with it.

BTW2: Do you have any original Givi side case holders for your Enertia?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 06:06:34 AM by KaFr »
Ovaobike MCR-M 2022 #24

KaFr

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 06:15:37 AM »
Here is the battery module datasheet:
Ovaobike MCR-M 2022 #24

Iceman2007

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2021, 04:56:04 PM »
Just a quick question, when you charge each individual battery externally do red blinking light starts blinking green, once it is fully charged?
Thanks

Iceman2007

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2021, 05:13:34 PM »
Sorry, to clarify my question about red blinking light pertains to Brammo Enertia standard with six 12V batteries
Thanks

sunchaser

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 08:14:50 PM »
I know that this is a rather late reply to your question, but if your Valence U1-12XP battery voltage dropped below 5 volts it will flash red (or have no LED activity) and may continue to flash red even if it is charged above 5 volts.  The battery BMS needs at least 5 volts to function.  There are other threads with Valence documentation explaining this in more detail.  From what I understand, the battery MAY be useable after being discharged below 5 volts but will likely have degraded significantly. 

As for charging the batteries individually, when at 5 volts or lower they need to be charged with a 12v 0.5 amp charger if I remember correctly. 

The bike won't power up/function unless the system sees at least 72 volts to power the DC to DC converter.

Hope that helps.  Good luck.

Iceman2007

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2022, 05:25:07 PM »
Based on my experience, most likely you will have a flags from each individual bms board. As you are reviving/charging your batteries individually in order to clear the flags you need bms software and be connected to your battery bms. Also the only way to clear any errors you must have a 44v external charger connected and actively charging. If error flag gets thrown because of low voltage, just charging the battery to appropriate voltage does not clear the flag. Must be connected to battery bms via valence software and be charging it at the same time.

09enertia

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2022, 03:12:04 AM »
I just fixed the same problem. I had left my Enertia unplugged for two years and it wouldn’t turn on. Took out the six batteries and they were dead, no blinking lights. I used a simple 12 volt trickle charger to wake up each one and each red light started blinking. I then used a Noco genius 2 and charged each one for a day or two up to 50 - 80% but when I put them back in the bike they wouldn’t keep their charge, dropping about 3% per day. I took the batteries out again and charged them individually again all the way to full. Then I connected all the positive terminals with four gauge wire and all the negatives the same. Then attached the positive charger clamp to the first positive terminal and the negative charging clamp to the last negative terminal and charged them all together. This got them all really close to each other on the multimeter readings, around 14 volts. Then I took off the charger and let them rest still parallel for a day and they balanced perfectly around 13 volts. Put them back in the bike and now it charges and runs fine.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 03:28:36 AM by 09enertia »