Author Topic: Empulse Launch Event!  (Read 8809 times)

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Empulse Launch Event!
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2012, 03:42:59 PM »
Maybe JC will sell the Empulse R to Empulsebuyer for the price of a non r

A win win---EB has cash in hand...not many of us do, and JC makes a quick and easy 17k

Unless JC has been waiting and wanting an Empulse like the people here....If that's the case he should keep it and enjoy...and Congrat....I am happy for you and greatly jealous all at the same time

G

That would be awesome... basically I got the no-go from the wife at $19k she didnt like $17k number either but it was barely acceptable... the only reason I have (almost) enough cash is that I have basically been saving for the last 2 years, so financing has already been done :)

Now that I think of it... i dont think buying second hand would qualify me for the 6k rebate... so that wouldnt work either  :-\... was never going to happen anyway. Would have to be crazy to give up a free Empulse R.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 07:27:05 PM by EmpulseBuyer »

Deadly Silent Ninja

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2012, 07:53:29 PM »
Yeah... this whole price thing is very depressing. I wouldn't mind it if, like Sora, I would know from the start that the bike was way beyond my reach. But after waving that $10K price up to less than an year ago, I thought i would have a slight chance to get it. $17K for the bike that will come out next year was a slap in my face. One of those that says "Wake up, bum! This 'ain't for you!"

It has been a fun ride, but there's nothing left for me as far as the Empulse goes. Maybe Zero or one of the other companies will design something closer to the prototype model for the prototype's price.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2012, 08:10:04 PM »
So I am one of the few who pre-ordered the 6k, specifically because of the price.  $10k I might be able to justify for a daily commuter, but I was pretty disappointed the hear, after nearly a year of following this amazing journey, that the production model will be twice that.

With state and fed rebates and credits running out, and the price doubling, we are now comparing this bike to the fastest, most powerful, and most technologically advanced motorcycles currently in production (Panigale, S1000RR, F4 RR, and ZZR1400 are all the same price or less).

I'm jealous of all of the early adopters out there that have the wallet for this, and I'm really sad that I'm not one of them.  The bike looks amazing and is technically everything I could ever want.  I will continue to watch and hope that the industry continues to grow and the price of these things comes back down to something more realistic.

Excellent work to all those at Brammo that are pushing this stuff in the right direction and congrats on yesterday's release.

I too pre-ordered the 6.0 because of a) it was super-sexy and b) the 6.0 was the least expensive freeway-capable electric bike. A couple months back I lost faith that Brammo would deliver a relatively affordable bike this year and bought a ZF9 Zero instead. The $14k Zero is significantly more expensive than the purported $9k (after expired federal rebate) 6.0, but the Empulse concept pricing turned out to be only a dream.

I could definitely see Brammo introducing an intermediate step between the Enertia and Empulse at some point.. direct drive, sporty styling, cheaper price. Maybe we'll see a price drop next year, most likely not if the Empulse sells well.. will depend on what Zero does too.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Deadly Silent Ninja

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2012, 08:40:28 PM »
I could definitely see Brammo introducing an intermediate step between the Enertia and Empulse at some point.. direct drive, sporty styling, cheaper price.

Like this one?  ::)

And I would say... $10K... I would definitely buy it if it would make 80 miles and it reached at least 90 mph.

Note the slim, lean, mean, (re)design...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 08:45:34 PM by Deadly Silent Ninja »

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2012, 09:52:10 PM »

I could definitely see Brammo introducing an intermediate step between the Enertia and Empulse at some point.. direct drive, sporty styling, cheaper price. Maybe we'll see a price drop next year, most likely not if the Empulse sells well.. will depend on what Zero does too.

This.

Also, if the refresh cycle is every 2 years for electrics, I see at the time of the Empulse refresh the current Empulse continues at a much decreased price....maybe single speed and same batteries, but the new bike keeps the clutch and gets updated batteries...

G

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2012, 12:33:57 AM »
Something else to keep in mind..

So far, the secondary market for electric bikes has been very soft. You've probably seen some people selling Enertias here with very few miles on them for 50% off sticker.

I think this has a few reasons:

1. EV buyer pool is very small. Will have to see if the big-battery electrics (ZF6/9 and Empulse) attract more interest.
2. Technology is advancing very fast; a 3 year old Enertia or 2010 Zero S has been leapfrogged. If J1772 picks up any kind of penetration in the next 2-3 years then the lack of a J1772 plug will stick out.
3. Uncertainty over battery life, buying used / without a warranty is a somewhat risky endeavor.
4. I suppose that most EV buyers today are very interested in pushing EV technology forward and voting with their wallets. Buying a secondhand EV doesn't directly advance EV technology.
5. Market value for the small EV bikes, even new, is still significantly below what Brammo and Zero were selling them for, which is partly why they had relatively few sales. The sale values of the nearly-new bikes on the secondary market is a more accurate valuation.

With all that said:

If someone in 2014 is ditching their nearly-new 2013 Empulse for whatever the new hotness is and is willing to take a 50% haircut, I'll be first in line to snag it. And I think it would be a long line. I would think the Empulse will hold its value a bit better.

The reaction to the Enertia et al is largely "meh" .. and a 50% price drop for a nearly-new bike doesn't seem to have moved it much.

The reaction to the Empulse / 2012 Zeros seems to be more along the lines of "wow, that's expensive.. but I'm interested now." Used bikes may see quite a bit more interest.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2012, 09:51:48 AM »
Ultimate Motorcycling has picked up the story.  Nothing new, though:

http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/2012/brammo-unveils-2012-emuplse-r
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2012, 05:09:31 PM »
Here is another article by Ultimate Motorcycling, this time it is a first-person review of the launch party:

http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/2012/brammo-empulse-r-a-hip-la-unveiling

and a review of the bike by Motorcycle.com, including a 3-minute interview with Craig:

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/2012-brammo-empulse-and-empulse-r-first-look-91287.html?utm_source=mo05102012&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2012, 12:18:19 AM »
For anybody that was disappointed with the performance of the live "LiveStream" broadcast and wanted to take another look at the event without the constant stalling, you're in luck! The LiveStream website is still up and is continuously showing an edited segment of the show.

The video spans from the start of Craig Bramscher's presentation, continues through the unveiling of the bikes with lots of close ups of them and ends when the camera crew go off to find more people to interview.

Share and Enjoy!*
Brammo Introduces The Empulse - live streaming video powered by Livestream
Richard #935 #595 #44