Brammo Enertia Discussion > Brammo Enertia Plus

Charging Q

<< < (2/5) > >>

GeorgeS:
Sean,
Since the Enertia will now have a 6 kwh pack just like the Empulse 6.0. It's very possible that the Enertia Plus may also have 220 V charger as an option. The Empulse 220V charger is APPROXIMATELY 2666 watts. It is not built into the bike. It is a stand alone charging unit as Brammo does not have room on the bike for it.
GSB

Kelly Olsen:
One of the articles written about the Plus went out of the way to point out that there will be NO Level Two charging only 110 volt Level One. If this is true it is a little sad because virtually all of the chargers that are being put out on the market and installed at malls and other public places for the coming Leaf and other EV's will only be Level Two. So this means that IF the Plus charges only at Level One, we will be hunting for Coke machines to unplug at public places.

Gavin:
:)...I can see warm cokes all over America in the coming years

as a solution I have one word:

adaptors

All SAE J1772 level 2 chargers plug into a standard plug at the car/bike end...all LEAFs and whatnot can charge at 110 or 220 in the same plug...adaptor will just dumb down the 220 to 110.

That said, level 2 would be nice.

Gavin

BrammoBrian:
Wow!  Cool (and scary) to see our customers getting so smart about all of this EV technology! I like to think that Brammo has the smartest, most informed EV customers in the world. Great questions, Sean... I'm excited to learn more about what you're up to.

I'm actually not an EE, but I'll do my best to pretend...  ;)

The Enertia Plus will be fit with an 850W on-board charger that will charge from a typical 120V/15A household outlet.  As you've mentioned, 12A is the maximum current draw to leave appropriate headroom on the line.  During the beginning of the charge cycle with the bike near full discharge, the charger will draw 12A for perhaps the first 5-10 minutes, then it tapers off to a fairly consistent 10A for the bulk of the charge.  From about 95% onwards, it enters constant voltage mode and the current will begin to drop off to less than 1A at 99% SOC.  

Highlander's bike doesn't quite match this as he and I have 720W chargers on our bike.  These typically do not pull the 12A and hover around 9A for the bulk of the charge.

At this point, it looks like the Enertia Plus and the Empulse will have a custom connector accessible that will allow them to be "fast charged" from a Brammo off-board charger.  The first fast charge stage will allow you to charge at 17A with the charger plugged in to an 120V outlet upgraded to a 20A breaker.  The second stage will allow charging at 34A with the charger plugged into a 240V single phase household dryer outlet. This project is still in the works, so I may be revealing too much too soon, but I figure you guys (and gals) are here to get the inside scoop, so now you've got it...

Gavin:
Sweet...have a separate dedicated 240v  line sitting in my garage just waiting for the EVs to arrive :)

Gavin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version