General > Off Topic

The Hydrogen Highway

(1/6) > >>

Richard230:
A link in the Hydrogen Highway is being built across from Alice's Restaurant in the Santa Cruz Mountains, south of San Francisco. What a monumental boondoggle!  I have heard that there are just a few H2 cars in all of California and I believe all of those are production prototypes being tested by the auto manufacturers.  I am pretty sure that none are privately owned at this time.  However, should anyone in the SF Bar Area buy an H2-powered auto, they can always drive up into the mountains to find a filling station, which is being built at great expense by some government agency using taxpayer funds.  >:(

This complex has been under construction all summer long and is now reaching the point where some of the equipment is being installed.  Attached are photos that I took today and I will post updates as the construction continues until the project is complete and the security fencing is removed. All that equipment just to supply one filling outlet.  I have my doubts if I will ever be able to post a privately-owned hydrogen-powered car filling up at this out-of-the-way station, though.

I might add that today I spoke with a couple of local residents, including one of the owners of Alice Restaurant, and they also think the station is a big joke.   ::)

Attached is a photo of the H2 pump.

Richard230:
And here is a photo of the H2 tanks.   ???

Brammofan:
Looks like an accident waiting to happen.  :(

Shinysideup:
Hydrogen under very high pressure being carried in an car on public highways? What could go wrong?

And then there's the preposterous economics of the whole H2 energy cycle: Most of it derives from natural gas and takes huge amounts of energy to compress it. Boondoggle indeed!

Richard230:
Here is a link to some interesting and informative information regarding Hydrogen-fueled cars:
https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/8-things-you-need-to-know-about-hydrogen-fuel-cell-cars.html

And here is a link to the locations of H2 stations in California:
http://cafcp.org/stationmap

This description is for the hydrogen station being built across from Alice's Restaurant, at the intersection of State highways 35 and 84: Woodside, 17287 Skyline Boulevard, Woodside, CA 94062:

Station Type: Retail - In development
Development Status: Commissioning
Expected to Open: March 2017
Hydrogen Source: Gaseous H2 Delivery
Station Customer Service: (604) 904-0412

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version