Author Topic: Are on-line motorcycle forums slowly dying?  (Read 250 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Are on-line motorcycle forums slowly dying?
« on: June 25, 2022, 03:46:59 PM »
Revzilla seems to think that on-line motorcycle forums are dying and going the way of the dinosaurs, thanks to cell phones replacing desktop computers. Here is their short discussion article making their argument: https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/why-are-online-motorcycle-forums-drying-up-and-dying
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Are on-line motorcycle forums slowly dying?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 09:11:56 AM »
Sadly, I tend to agree that they are waning in popularity.  I'll do my best to keep this one available as it has a lot of helpful information.  I do miss its heyday, around 2010-2014.  Once Brammo sold its motorcycle division to Polaris, it really started to decrease in daily visits. 

I really appreciate your continued contribution, Richard.  I hope you also stick around and keep providing fresh perspectives.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

sunchaser

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Are on-line motorcycle forums slowly dying?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 10:39:47 AM »
Thank you Richard for sharing this article and for your continued contributions.  Also, thank you Brammofan for keeping this forum going.  This site is a critical resource in keeping these amazing bikes on the road!

It is sad that forums in general are declining, but I feel that they are still better than the social media options. 

As the article mentioned, the forums are great due to having photos and step by step repair guides.  Far more information dense overall in my opinion.  I've tried not to use image hosting sites and upload photos directly to avoid the Photobucket? issue with content disappearing from sites in an instant.  Also, I feel that there's a greater feeling of community on forums.  I can't believe how nasty people can get in the comment sections etc. on websites.  Is that really necessary?  I've never seen anything like that here or on other forums that I frequent.

The social media options do have their place, but I still prefer the forum format overall.