Author Topic: Questions from the UK!!  (Read 2103 times)

jimuk

• View Profile
Questions from the UK!!
« on: October 27, 2011, 03:56:03 AM »
I'm new on here, new to biking and definitely new to electric bikes. Very much a newbie, so I need some help!! :) I sent an email through the Brammo site a few days ago, but haven't heard anything yet, so I thought I would try on here. Apologies in advance as I have a few questions, so please bear with me.

1. I'm interested in the Enertia Plus but I'm confused about availability. I know you can pre-order on the site, but if I'm in the UK should I do that? I've read that there are some available in Europe already that are set up for the European market, but does anyone know where they are available as I can't find any in the UK? I keep reading that the bikes are available in late 2011. Is that late 2011 in the US or late 2011 in the UK?

2. If I did manage to get my hands on one, at the moment, to my knowledge there's no UK distributor. I read something that said you could get them at Best Buy in Thurrock but that doesn't seem correct now? Firstly is there any news on a UK distributor? I saw that Brammo has joined forces with Polaris who distribute Victory motorcycles in the UK. Does anyone know if this could then extend to a distribution deal in the UK or are Best Buy still in the frame for the late 2011/2012 bikes?

3. If there isn't a specified UK dealer, what would I do about servicing etc? I'm not a mechanic, so would I be able to get the bike serviced at a normal motorbike garage or would they not be able to deal with the electronics and motor etc? Would they be able to get parts from Brammo?

4. If you pre-order a bike on the site, are you making any financial commitment at this stage? Whilst I definitely want one, I don't want to pre-order to find that it's not a UK compatible bike.

Many thanks in advance

Jim

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Questions from the UK!!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 10:08:11 AM »
1. I'm interested in the Enertia Plus but I'm confused about availability. I know you can pre-order on the site, but if I'm in the UK should I do that? I've read that there are some available in Europe already that are set up for the European market, but does anyone know where they are available as I can't find any in the UK? I keep reading that the bikes are available in late 2011. Is that late 2011 in the US or late 2011 in the UK?

Per thespecialone, the 2012 Enertia (3.1 kwh) is available in Europe and will be available in the US shortly. It has many of the same enhancements that will appear on the Enertia Plus, save the larger battery pack.

If the Enertia Plus was available in Europe now I believe Gavin would be in a landing craft assaulting some beach even as we speak.

I haven't seen a definitive availability statement; I assume preorders for the Plus will be filled first. Brammo will start notifying people 90 days prior to delivery to confirm the preorder. We haven't heard of any notifications going out thus far, so they almost certainly will not be delivering in 2011.

3. If there isn't a specified UK dealer, what would I do about servicing etc? I'm not a mechanic, so would I be able to get the bike serviced at a normal motorbike garage or would they not be able to deal with the electronics and motor etc? Would they be able to get parts from Brammo?

Most of the bike bits (forks, brakes and pads, chain, wheels, tires) can be serviced at any bike shop.

The electric bits (motor controller, motor, batteries, dash) will be more problematic, though they should also be fairly error-free at this point. I imagine initial support will be handled by mailing the replacement part and providing the container for returning the failed part for inspection. Previous failures have been handled by having a tech fly out; obviously not something they can do if the bikes are failing frequently : )

4. If you pre-order a bike on the site, are you making any financial commitment at this stage? Whilst I definitely want one, I don't want to pre-order to find that it's not a UK compatible bike.

No. Brammo will contact you 90 days prior to delivery to make arrangements for payment (partial or in full, not sure). You also have the option to delay delivery (and slip your preorder position) or cancel at that time.

Many thanks in advance

Jim

Also welcome to the forum : )
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/