Author Topic: OSH hardware stores are closing  (Read 424 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
OSH hardware stores are closing
« on: August 22, 2018, 08:55:07 AM »
Lowes, who owns the OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware) hardware store chain, is closing all 98 of their stores and putting the company out of business. The OSH stores start their store-closing sale tomorrow, August 23. Too bad as I have bought a lot of Craftsman tools, my electric lawnmower, and lots of other stuff there that my local Ace Hardware store didn't have. Another mid-size business down the drain. :(
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Ultratoad

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Re: OSH hardware stores are closing
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 10:05:47 AM »
Yes, very sad....  I have been going to OSH forever....  My current store was just remodeled and updated a couple years ago....  Very nice store....  The American way I suppose....  AND I can't stand Lowes!  Very impersonal place with a bunch of rookie employees that don't know anything!  Oh well....  Guess I will be spending more time at Home Depot....

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 02:58:11 PM »
Yeah I saw a webpage about it yesterday kind of sad.  I didn't even know Lowes owned OSH.  I did remember they remodeled their stores so that was probably when that happened.
2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 05:14:10 PM »
For those of you who might not be familiar with OSH stores:  OSH stores are all located in California, Oregon and Florida. News reports say that Lowe's bought the chain a few years ago, but then their yearly sales started to slump, perhaps because many OSH stores were located near Lowe's stores. All of the stores will close by the end of the year (Merry Christmas, employees) and the speculation is that Lowe's will sell off all of the OSH property, resulting in a big cash windfall for the corporation. In CA and OR urban areas many of the sites will likely be turned into high-density condos - which typically go for about a million dollars a unit in the SF Bay Area. As soon as the announcement was made, Lowe's stock went up 10%, which is thrilling their investors. Orchard Supply Hardware started out as a family-owned hardware store in San Jose, CA during the 1930's and expanded over the years to become quite popular on the West Coast with DIY homeowners. Unfortunately, during recent years they made some poor management decisions, were bought out by Lowe's and this is the result.  :(
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.