Author Topic: I.E.T. and Other Electric Motorcycle Manufacturers  (Read 1143 times)

Mithion

• Brammovangelist
  • Raised on a Harley but all about electric power!
    • View Profile
    • Email
I.E.T. and Other Electric Motorcycle Manufacturers
« on: May 15, 2012, 07:07:23 AM »
A simple Google search of "Electric Motorcycle" and "Electric Motorcycle Transmission" returns the obvious results of mostly Brammo, the Empulse, Engage etc...

Brammo is the only manufacturer with a production electric motorcycle that has the I.E.T. This gives Brammo an edge over every other company in my opinion, that is untill others begin to put I.E.T's into their own bikes.

From what I know S.M.R.E is the inventor and only manufacturer of an I.E.T. and only provides them to Brammo.

How long will that last?

How long untill S.M.R.E begins to develop/sell I.E.T 's to other companies or other companies begin to make their own? The technology is there for this to happen and why would S.M.R.E only provide for Brammo(unless they have some kind of binding contract)?

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I.E.T. and Other Electric Motorcycle Manufacturers
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 09:12:56 AM »
According to the press release:

As a part of this agreement, Brammo has acquired an exclusive international license for S.M.R.E.’s patented Integrated Electric Transmission™ (IET).
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Mithion

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 05:36:38 PM »
Other companies are still going to come out with transmissions for electric bikes, sooner or later. Brammo will still be the best though!!!!

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 05:40:23 PM »
Maybe...which is why it would be great if they went up and down?

Gavin

Mithion

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 08:07:27 AM »
Apparently the Brutus E-Bike has a clutch-less 5-speed gearbox!

http://brutusmotorcycle.com/about.html

Here is a video of it in action

« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:10:30 AM by Mithion »

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 08:52:29 AM »
The Brutus kicks a lot of ass.

I find it hard to square up these two statements:
"Charging is handled on a household 110v plug and a full charge [of the 4.9 kWh pack] only takes 3 hours to complete."
"The mileage rating for Brutus is a bit different, because of the need for “real world” statistics an aggressive rider on the 153v Brutus can expect to see a 100 mile range."

1. Unless he has a charger that plugs into 110v 20A sockets, he's not going to do a full charge in 3 hours.
2. An aggressive rider on a 535 lb bike is going to get a few less than 100 miles from a pack about half the size of the Empulse.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Mithion

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 09:25:31 AM »
It seems like there are countless electric motorcycles coming out and already out, made by a variety of different companies, all with different claims of range, speed and bleeding edge tech.

The only thing I can say is that out of all those companies with all those bikes and various claims, none of them, with the exception of a very small few, seem to be truly legit. The likes of Brammo and Zero seem to be the only companies making realisitic bikes for consumers and not just racing. Their claims are real world and their tech is proven and realistic. But, I welcome all of those companies because their research and ideas will only help move along electric motorcycle technology.