Brammo Empulse Discussion > Brammo Empulse

Empulse Rider Questions

<< < (11/12) > >>

BrammoBrian:

--- Quote from: flar on January 31, 2013, 06:23:09 PM ---A question about L1/L2 charging.  I didn't see anything in the owner's manual, but if we have the time (as in overnight charging), does L1 charging have less of an impact on longevity than L2?  Or are they both below the threshold of having any noticeable effect on battery lifetime?

--- End quote ---

While higher charge rates do, in general, reduce the life of the battery, even Level 2 charging is a pretty tame charging rate at around .3C on the cells (20-25Amps on a 90Ah pack). The life cycle testing on the cells was done at a .5C charge rate, so no need to worry about this.  This will be a consideration for packs and definitely a good question to ask when DC fast charging becomes more common. 

flar:

--- Quote from: Shinysideup on February 01, 2013, 12:04:42 AM ---On a related note: I've signed up for my local utility's Time of Use rates. Will it in any way affect the charger (or anything else) to plug the bike in and have a timer supply power to the Clippercreek unit?

BTW, the utilities really have their rates, ah, wired: Sure they give me a great Off Peak rate, but then, on that special, touted, EV plan, they jack up the daytime rates way above what I'm paying now. Oh well.

--- End quote ---

Did you sign up for the E9 rate plan?  That is the special EV rate plan and that specifically excludes "electrically powered motorcycles".

They also have a ToU E6 plan that is not EV specific.

Both E6 and E9 have some fairly high peak prices, especially if you go much over baseline, but the off peak rates are always lower: E9 less than E6 less than E1 for every tier of usage.  Daytime, though, if you go much above Baseline just kills you on E6 and E9.

I use much more than Baseline so it waters down the savings.  They also disallowed me to sign up for E9 because I mentioned I had a motorcycle.  They did offer E6 and the web site shows that I'd save about $10 per month (on a bill of about $180), but I'd also be locked in for 12 months.  Since my situation may change, and since they may revise the plans soon, I elected to wait for $10/month.  I'll continue to track it, though, because continued overnight charging may shift the savings balance.  The reason it might not is that I tend to be a night owl so I often run my power hungry PC or A/V system in the wee hours of the morning anyway...

Shinysideup:
I did sign up for E9. I didn't mention "motorcycle". What's up with that kind of discrimination? >:(

I also like the fact that I pay the lowest rate on weekends, as well as after midnight, so I save my laundry chores (electric dryer) for the weekends.

Too early to tell if the higher peak rates (especially over baseline) are going to wipe out any savings. I'll compare monthly bills soon...

Brammofan:

--- Quote from: Shinysideup on May 13, 2013, 01:41:08 PM ---I did sign up for E9. I didn't mention "motorcycle". What's up with that kind of discrimination? >:(

--- End quote ---
Seriously! Most people don't even know they exist.

flar:
I guess I could try calling back and apply "Don't Ask, Don't Tell".  Hopefully nothing was written to my account that might tip them off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version