Author Topic: Brammo accessory "custom" windscreen......???  (Read 2279 times)

Roland Stone

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
Brammo accessory "custom" windscreen......???
« on: October 02, 2014, 03:43:51 PM »
The windscreen pictured on the Brammo website - 2014 Empulse Gear & Accessory page is on indefinite backorder with no ETA according to an unnamed source at Brammo.  I'm guessing(?) Brammo just shows a picture to see if there is going to be any interest.  Every inquiry I've made on the subject results in the suggestion checking the windscreens on Twisted Throttle which I would have done if I wanted an MRA offering or some such.  The nice thing about the Brammo windscreen was the custom bracket that attached the windscreen to the headlamp cowl, - clean, no handle bar bracket clutter.  So where's the Brammo windscreen?, - inquiring minds would like to know.
The same might be asked about the Brammo "Tidy Tail" which I thought was more attractive than the current aftermarket application.  The Brammo version allowed for retaining the carbon fiber tail lamp assy. cowl, - the aftermarket app uses a different (flat black) cowl and is a bit too "tidy" for my liking.

Shame on whoever's doing Brammo's accessories because it's a half-a$$ed, BS effort.  Don't advertise it if it's not available to sell.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Brammo accessory "custom" windscreen......???
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 11:11:35 PM »
Roland, not to worry... the windscreen is at the same location as the rear trunk.

As they say of software releases in Silicon Valley: RSN. Real Soon Now.

CAT in HAWAII

• Empulse Guru
  • Empulse in HAWAII ,,,,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 06:09:43 PM »
Roland, not to worry... the windscreen is at the same location as the rear trunk.

As they say of software releases in Silicon Valley: RSN. Real Soon Now.

yup... got my side hard cases.. thinking really hard about the windscreen,, for 2013 empales R...
is that one in stock somewhere??/

I guess i'll find out in a couple of weeks,, i'll be in Talent...
Crashed! Don't go up against a semi-truck,, it ain't pretty!

2017 Indian Chief Classic,,,

SWAPPED!! First 2013 Empulse R in HAWAII !!! 🏄

-=SOLD=- HD Sportster 1200 Sport Anniversary Ed. -=SOLD=-

ways_ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 11:33:05 AM »
I've ordered the tall Brammo windscreen and was told that it is not deliverable. Sad, since winter is coming here in Germany, it's getting colder and I want to ride, ride, ride...

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 02:02:56 PM »
Sad, since winter is coming here in Germany, it's getting colder and I want to ride, ride, ride...

The screen on my Empulse says:

MRA
Typ: WNB    KBA [not KNA] 37960
Made in Germany

It has one of the best air flows of any screen I've ever used.

Pictures in this thread;

http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=2275.msg17487#msg17487

Mine is identical but in smoke color.

You might like it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 05:14:57 PM by Shinysideup »

ways_ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 04:01:23 PM »
Is it this one:
https://www.mrashop.de/erp/catalog/navigationPath//1.Sortiment/0.html?mral=1&type=%283923%2C19%2C0%29&form=%28425%2C20%2C0%29&spr=D ?

When I zoom into the picture it seems to say Typ WNB KBA 37960.

It's really huge IMO.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 05:08:06 PM »
You are correct: KBA. My finger made a typo and I didn't proofread!

About size:

I don't think of it as a huge screen. Huge would be Harely batwings or Goldwing screens. But it's also not a racing fly screen either. Rather it's the minimum size I'd need to provide any real protection from cold wind onto my torso. I can see above it with ease. The windstream hits me just at the bottom edge of my helmet and has no buffeting. The wind hits both of my arms.

Click thumbnail to see the size relative to me at 6'1" tall & 165 lbs.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 05:11:44 PM by Shinysideup »

ways_ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 12:34:19 PM »
You are right regarding "huge". There are much bigger ones. I have to balance between wind protection and the sporty look. Not yet sure...

MRA has several alternatives. Maybe I would tend to buy the one without the top spoiler for optical reasons. I have no experience with windshields. Do you think the spoiler is worth it?

Did you experience a gain in range?

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 02:18:11 PM »
Definite increase in range, probably 10% overall. Maybe higher at very high speeds.

I really like the spoiler to smooth out the air flow. I've had them on several screens over the years and found that they work well to reduce or eliminate buffeting. Sometimes the low-frequency whump-whump-whump inside my helmet was much more irritating than the noise from smooth air without a screen at all. I haven't tried my MRA screen without the spoiler.

It may be something you can add (with drilling holes) later; I'm unfamiliar with the overall range of products from MRA. But other companies sell spoilers separately if you find the buffeting obnoxious.

ways_ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 06:33:03 PM »
Didn't know that buffeting is such an issue with windshields. I know it from some cars while driving with open windows. If it is similar on a motorbike with a windshield, I can imagine that it is annoying.

MRA seems to have two options of mounting spoilers: one requires drilling, the other is clipped on the upper end of the screen.

Thanks for your responses.

ways_ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 04:46:25 AM »
Another question came up watching your photos with the windshield:

What do you think about the intransparent lower area? I could imagine it hinders the view of the ground directly in front.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 12:32:50 PM »
I never notice it being a problem.

ways_ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 03:19:38 PM »
My dealer told me yesterday, there's hope to get the original Brammo tall windshield in the not so far future. Investing a little patience I think I'll wait for it. I prefer the mounting and the look of it.