General > Victory Empulse

oil leaking from electric motor

(1/1)

Korbin Dallas:
So I have had some time to pull this apart and find the cause of the oil leak. On my bike it is absolutely an oil leak and not coolant. I posted a video of the progress so far. I am waiting on the replacement seal. You can see how much oil was inside the motor near the end of the video. Sorry about the quality of the video (not an editor) This is more about documenting it. More to come

KaFr:
You are doing a very good job, Korbin.
It is useful for all of us!

Korbin Dallas:
New seal installed and a possible source of the leak. In my opinion. I have only put about 20 miles on it since reinstallation. no leaks so far but it might take time for oil to migrate out since it was such a slow leak.
new video here

also a short on that channel
If you want to do it on the cheap dont replace the seal and just rtv that spline key
I talked to the manufacturer in New Ulm Minnesota, They show that most of the motors sent in for repair were scrapped. They cant provide specs for anything to do with this motor because it is a direct descendant of their newer line and thus protected for patent. 

KaFr:
Hi, I have a few questions:
Did you find out what was the cause of the damaged gasket?
Was it mechanical damage (locking pin in groove) or chemical damage (old or inappropriate type of transmission oil)?
Why did you choose the 10W40 specification, which has a higher viscosity than the one recommended by Victory (10W30)?
Won't it have an effect on higher losses in the gearbox and thus a shorter range?
Thanks a lot for answer.

Korbin Dallas:
SAE 10W-30 synthetic motor oil, wet-clutch approved,
API GL-1, qty: one liter

This what the manufacturer calls out for in the service manual
I put in what I had on hand. If the leak is stopped and I don't have to pull the motor again I will drain and fill with the required oil.
I honestly don't believe that the seal was leaking, I only changed it because I had already ordered it before I realized that the oil is actually coming from that key way.
The bike is still not leaking and it has been on the side stand for a week.

Cheers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version