Author Topic: Titanium Harware Upgrade (Mostly)  (Read 1725 times)

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Titanium Harware Upgrade (Mostly)
« on: July 05, 2015, 08:31:25 AM »
The FL rainy weather, also living 15 miles from the Atlantic Ocean seems to be having it's way with the bike's hardware. It was tarnished and rusting really bad...  The bike is only two years old with 12k miles on it so I felt that an upgrade that would last is a good investment. I tried to replace as much as I could with titanium as far as the race spec drilled for the battery brackets and all of the bodywork. Other bolts like the sub-frame, rear sets, tail section, etc. I used stainless steel.  I'm not quite done but I'm getting there.  Basically if I can put a wrench on it, I'm upgrading... What seems to be happening is as soon as I replace with new hardware next to the old hardware it makes the old stuff looks 10x's worse so you're forced to replace that too. I found plenty of stuff on here and... http://www.probolt-usa.com/
And my closest Ace Hardware.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 09:57:47 AM by Virtually Yours »
Actually Mine,
Empluse R

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Titanium Harware Upgrade (Mostly)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 08:34:38 AM »
This endeavor has been an ongoing effort.  Still plenty to do. 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 09:49:17 AM by Virtually Yours »
Actually Mine,
Empluse R

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 08:37:18 AM »
I like subtle upgrades...
Actually Mine,
Empluse R

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 09:25:25 AM »
Almost done...
Actually Mine,
Empluse R

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 12:43:07 PM »
Way cool!

As a guy who replaced the smaller battery bracket screws with SS Allen heads, just for looks, I can appreciate what you are doing.

Word of caution: be sure to use a little anti-seize when using SS fasteners as they tend to gall and can make removal impossible. (I'm not sure about titanium, as I never could afford them!)

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 06:06:17 AM »
Thanks!
Good call on my the anti-seize, a friend of mine also recommended this and told me stainless bolts screwed into aluminum can seize up and strip out the threads when you remove them. Titanium hardware screwed to steel fasteners should be ok...?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 06:10:13 AM by Virtually Yours »
Actually Mine,
Empluse R

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 03:17:23 PM »
There's a good article on galling on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galling

As for titanium, here's a relevant excerpt with added emphasis:

"if the metal has a high number of stacking faults (a difference in stacking sequence between atomic planes) it will be less apt to cross-slip at the dislocations. Therefore, a material's resistance to galling is usually determined by its stacking-fault energy. A material with high stacking-fault energy, such as aluminum or titanium, will be far more susceptible to galling than materials with low stacking-fault energy, like copper, bronze, or gold."

And, no, don't be replacing everything with gold fasteners! ;)

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 10:10:20 AM »
So after much reading and researching I decided to use Permatex Copper Anti-Seize Lubricant.
http://www.permatex.com/component/documents/?view=tds&format=raw&filename=31163.pdf&market=automotive
In the PDF file it says its specificlly for "stainless steel and other similar alloys" however it also says to use normal torque values but that is wrong. I called the 1-800 # and torque values should be reduced 18%.
Thanks Shiney for pointing me in the right direction.
Actually Mine,
Empluse R