Brammo Enertia Discussion > Brammo Enertia Mods

fan conversion

<< < (3/6) > >>

Knipdlo:
Auslander: I used two, the original setup utilizes two. I didn't know about the arrows, learning new things all the time!

Glump:
On the Enertia Classic, the original fans are delta QFR0612UHE and the spec sheet says:
56CFM (1.6m3/min) and 61.5dBA so not close at all of a 20CFM computer fan....
I charge outside, in direct sunlight with air temperatures exceeding 35 °c so i won't risk putting crappy computer fans...

For now after a quick search i found the ebmpapst 612H wich is 35CFM (1.15m3/min) and 53dBA wich is already a good improvement in noise but loosing some cooling performance.

protomech:
It's unfortunate that they sized a 60mm fan. In the computer world, the larger the fan the more air you can move at lower noise levels.

Does the Empulse control the fan speed based upon temperature? Or does it immediately spin up to full speed when charging begins? Do the fans spin down when charging is over as it tapers off, even when still plugged in?

kingcharles:
My Empulse does a fan test at full speed before the charging starts and then they turn off for the first few minutes of charging (I guess because the charger is still cold) but after a few minutes it turns the fans back on and there is no variation in speed. Only off or full speed.

When the bike reaches 100% charge the fans stay on for a while and then turn off. But I also found the bike with the fans still blowing at full speed even after 6 hours of charging at 0 amps.  But that was at a public charge point and I have been seeing some strange behavior at some public charge points. So that might not be an Empulse problem. Still trying to get my head around that strange behavior.

I hope Brammo will improve the firmware to allow adaptive fan speeds depending on the cooling required.

Auslander:

--- Quote from: kingcharles on July 02, 2014, 10:24:46 AM ---
When the bike reaches 100% charge the fans stay on for a while and then turn off. But I also found the bike with the fans still blowing at full speed even after 6 hours of charging at 0 amps.  But that was at a public charge point and I have been seeing some strange behavior at some public charge points. So that might not be an Empulse problem. Still trying to get my head around that strange behavior.

I hope Brammo will improve the firmware to allow adaptive fan speeds depending on the cooling required.

--- End quote ---

Since we have my charging issue sorted, the fan noise that I heard previously is apparently not the 'proper' fan noise.  Some time after plugging in the fans turn on at the level I heard before, which I'll call "low".  Later in the charge cycle, they go to "maximum" which sounds close to a hair dryer, and the remain there through the cycle to 100%, and some time after, before dropping back down to "low", where they remain until unplugging.  Previously, I had no idea that there were two levels, and didn't really understand the audio concerns people had. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version