Brammo Empulse Discussion > Brammo Empulse

B55 Error, SOC Mismatch >30%

<< < (2/6) > >>

frodus:

--- Quote from: 00049 (AKA SopFu) on March 21, 2016, 08:36:25 AM ---This has been the weirdest charging session I've experienced. To start, it appeared to be charging at 0 amps, with the fan blowing on the charger. It went up to about 66%, but since it did not appear to be charging, I unplugged and replugged in the EVSE. Fan turned right back on, but still at 0 amps. So I let it sit. When I went to bed ~8 hours later it was still showing 0 amps, but the display was showing ~85% SOC. I unplugged again, and replugged and it and it went to 99%. I let it sit all night. In the morning it was down to 96%.  After getting ready for work it had fallen to 95%. It's still being charged now as I decided to drive in rather than risk driving home with an extremely unbalanced pack. The B55 error did display for a while, but went away during the charge session (I think even when the SOC was sitting at 66%).

I wonder if this is the cell balancing working. Is it taking charge from the full module and transmitting to the empty modules, with no charge coming from the charger? I suppose it's better to have a balanced battery at a low SOC than a battery that appears full, in case the bike is taken for a ride. But why is the SOC jumping around? I'd be curious to see how the anomaly in module 6 is effecting the assumed SOC.

--- End quote ---

That one group is higher than the others, so likely charging won't start.

They don't transmit charge from one to the lower cells, that is not how most BMS work. They basically put a resistor across the top of the battery and turn it on/off to basically burn energy and bring that cell down.

The BMS in the Empulse only works while charging if I recall correctly.

00049 (AKA SopFu):
It's still not charging. I've had to unplug it a few times to move stuff around the garage, and each time it would revert back to 99% when I would plug it back in. The SOC would then slowly drop. I haven't touched it since Tuesday afternoon, and as of this morning it was down to 76%, with the B55 error displayed on the dash again (the error was not there when I first plugged it in on Tuesday). It's been cold here, so I assume most of the drop is caused by the cell heaters.

One of my local Victory dealers has the new Empulse in stock, but they have not received any training or the hardware for servicing the new bikes. Hopefully they will get brought up to speed quickly if my problem doesn't go away on its own soon.

00049 (AKA SopFu):
I left a voicemail at Brammo Service this afternoon. Hopefully they will give me some direction. Still no luck after it sat on charge for more than a week. From Tuesday until just now it was plugged in, and it had dropped to 47% SOC. I unplugged and replugged it in for a few seconds just to see what the indicated SOC would do. Back to 99%. Here are the graphs of the charging sessions. Again, module 6 dropped while every other module appeared to be acting relatively normal.

Chart from Tuesday through today:

Here's what it looked like when I re-plugged it on:

I think I'm going to leave it unplugged for now. I'm actually worried about it over discharging with it plugged in since it is running the heaters but does not appear to be drawing anything off the wall. No power faults on the dash or the EVSE, either. As mentioned previously, the B55 error was displayed starting a few days ago.

frodus:
That's weird, let us know what it is.

00049 (AKA SopFu):
I swung by the dealer today to see how things were going. They have been able to scan the bike, and have determined that the cell module was bad. They are still waiting for Polaris to tell them what to do. The parts are not available from Polaris yet.

I'll be sad if I don't get to ride at all this summer. I missed all of last year due to injury, and was really looking forward to getting back on the horse.  :'(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version