Brammo Enertia Discussion > Brammo Enertia

Considering buying one and want to know the truth

(1/2) > >>

Brammowannabe:
Hi guys,
I want to buy one but want to make sure it will fit my needs.

How many miles per charge do you really get?  Have you ever run out?
How fast does it really go?  If i only weigh 150, will it go over 60 mph?
How comfortable is the ride for a decently long trip.
How visible Is it, do you worry about being run over by a truck, it seems pretty small
How bad is the milage when you take it on a 55 mile and hour road?
Does is tell you your expeced range left or just have a gadge?

I’m coming from never riding a motorcycle but wanting the most efficient commuting vehicle when weather is favorable.  Also I want to reduce the miles I’m putting on my ’04 VW golf that runs biodiesel and has 240,000 miles on it.

Thanks,
Cody

protomech:
Take a look at the usage spreadsheet in ppc750's signature:
http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=221.msg921#msg921

Speed and hills are the two big factors in EV energy consumption.

I believe top speed on level ground is limited by a combination of maximum motor RPM and power output that rapidly tails off very close to maximum RPM. Top speed is 60 mph or a bit over. Weight and rider profile (tuck) are unlikely to make a large difference in top speed.

I've never sat on an Enertia, I like to stop and stretch every hour or so while riding on my gas bike, which has an upright seating position similar to the Enertia.

Riding an Enertia Plus at 55 mph will probably give a safe range around 50 miles, or 25 miles out and back -- so you're unlikely to be sitting for long enough to get uncomfortable. Riding at 35 mph might give 70 miles of range, at which point you likely would want to stop midway and stretch.

The Enertia isn't much more or less visible than other bikes. You can wear gear with high-contrast or reflective elements. The best defense is actively paying attention to traffic around you and avoiding (where possible) dangerous traffic conditions.

I don't believe the exhaust noise signature on my gas bike (which is fairly quiet) has any safety benefit save at parking lot speeds. In particular, the most dangerous encounter for a bike is an oncoming car or car at a side street failing to notice the bike while crossing the bike's path of travel. In either case a driver inattentive enough to do so is unlikely to hear the exhaust which is directed away from them.

The Enertia display has a state of charge (percentage) indicator, but does not display miles remaining. The Enertia Plus display may be different.

Phantom:

--- Quote from: Brammowannabe on August 19, 2011, 03:28:13 PM ---Hi guys,
I want to buy one but want to make sure it will fit my needs.

My responses are based on the original Enertia:
How many miles per charge do you really get?  as advertised
Have you ever run out? No
How fast does it really go? 65 mph  If i only weigh 150, will it go over 60 mph?Yes
How comfortable is the ride for a decently long trip. Fine, my longest ride was about 30 miles
How visible Is it, do you worry about being run over by a truck, it seems pretty small Like any other motorcycle
How bad is the milage when you take it on a 55 mile and hour road?Generally less mileage the faster you go
Does is tell you your expeced range left or just have a gadge?You can extend your range by going slower. There is a guage for remaining battery charge. I commute mostly, so I have a good idea of how far I can go.

I’m coming from never riding a motorcycle but wanting the most efficient commuting vehicle when weather is favorable.  Also I want to reduce the miles I’m putting on my ’04 VW golf that runs biodiesel and has 240,000 miles on it. The Enertia is my first motorcycle

Thanks,
Cody

--- End quote ---

WanderLust:
I gotta say, props to ppc750 for keeping at it for over a year and a half.
It takes a special mix of dedication and obsessive compulsiveness :P
I'm sure Brammo does a lot of tests of their own, but this is from someone actually using their product day in and day out in the real world... Come on Brammo show him some love :D

HighlanderMWC:

--- Quote from: Brammowannabe on August 19, 2011, 03:28:13 PM ---How many miles per charge do you really get?  Have you ever run out?
--- End quote ---
With the hills on my commute I estimate 30 miles. I regularly hit 25 miles and have yet to run out.

--- Quote ---How fast does it really go?  If i only weigh 150, will it go over 60 mph?
--- End quote ---
I'm 200lbs and am carrying a full load in my backpack and I can get to 60 going up a pretty steep hill. I've had not problem getting it to 70 on the freeway the few times I've tried.

--- Quote ---How comfortable is the ride for a decently long trip.
--- End quote ---
This is a non-issue since it only has enough charge for about an hour of 35mph riding.

--- Quote ---How visible Is it, do you worry about being run over by a truck, it seems pretty small
--- End quote ---
It's a relatively tall bike...in some ways you're more visible than in your Golf. Like any motorcycle the biggest danger is people pulling out in front of you. Having cars lane change into you happens periodically but is pretty easy to avoid.

--- Quote ---How bad is the milage when you take it on a 55 mile and hour road?
--- End quote ---
If you're doing 55mph your range will drop a fair bit. I'd be surprised to get 20 miles.

--- Quote ---Does is tell you your expeced range left or just have a gadge?
--- End quote ---
One of the dash screens (the one I always use) indicates an estimate of remaining range.

--- Quote ---I’m coming from never riding a motorcycle but wanting the most efficient commuting vehicle when weather is favorable.
--- End quote ---
Please take a motorcycle safety course.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version