Author Topic: rear brakes  (Read 2199 times)

1lesscar

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
rear brakes
« on: April 26, 2011, 11:25:38 PM »
Last I heard, the Empulse will use Brembo brakes in the rear. WTH for??  Either have them in the front or not at all. Put regular Brammo brakes on the rear.

Has this changed? Anyone know??

HighlanderMWC

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Re: rear brakes
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 01:09:18 PM »
Last I heard, the Empulse will use Brembo brakes in the rear. WTH for??  Either have them in the front or not at all. Put regular Brammo brakes on the rear.

Has this changed? Anyone know??

Not sure what you mean by "regular Brammo brakes". For the Enertia they used Brembo so not realy surprising that they would stick with them.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 02:57:46 PM »
I don't think Brammo manufactures their own brakes.

I assume the Empulse rear brake is shared with the Enertia, single-piston Brembo. The front brake has gone from a dual-piston single rotor Brembo on the Enertia to four-piston dual-rotor Nissin. Presumably they changed manufacturers when they went to a higher specification brake set for performance and/or cost reasons.

It is indeed a little odd they would use two different manufacturers for the brakes.

It looks like the Empulse uses the same brake setup as the 2009 Triumph Street Triple R.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photogallerys/09_street_triple_r_18.jpg
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoGallerys/Brammo-Empulse12.jpg

"But our first ride let us down as initial front brake performance wasn’t on par with the sum of its components, even with around 1000 miles on the odometer. After a few hard stops, the brake pads did finally bed-in and performance improved significantly. As the bike sits now, the brakes are more than enough power to flip you over the handlebar, fortunately there’s also plenty of feel so fast, rear-wheel-in-the-air stops are simple and fun."

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/255/2652/Motorcycle-Article/2009-Triumph-Street-Triple-R-Review.aspx

Unsure whether the Street Triple wasn't set up properly, or whether the Empulse will also need some time for the pads to bed in properly. Either way, the front brakes sound like they do the job.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 05:18:42 PM »
Both of my BMW motorcycles have Brembo brakes and they work great. How they work may have more to do with the pad material, brake disc material and the hydraulic ratio between the brake lever and the caliper selected for the braking system than who manufacturers the calipers.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 12:11:43 AM »
I have brembos on one of my bikes.  The rear is quite possibly the worst brake I've ever had (Ducati 1098S, and not an uncommon complaint).  The Aprillia guys I ride with don't have anything nicer to say with their set up.  I would not be too concerned that Brammo was breaking the bank using a Brembo on the rear.  Given how much the rear brake gets used, I'm not exactly complaining.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

HighlanderMWC

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 04:48:59 PM »
Given how much the rear brake gets used, I'm not exactly complaining.

I hear you on this...my rear brake only gets used for holding while stopped on hills so i can take my hands off the bars.