Author Topic: Empulse as first motorcycle.  (Read 3137 times)

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Empulse as first motorcycle.
« on: July 06, 2014, 08:14:31 PM »
I am thinking about getting a 2013 Empulse soon. One of my concerns is a Empulse too much bike for someone's first street bike. I've road other off road vehicles like quads, dirt bikes, mo-peds but I've never had a street bike of any kind. So what do you guys think?

shocker

• Ride Softly and Carry a Big Wattage
  • Enciter
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Empulse as first motorcycle.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 12:12:32 AM »
My Empulse R is my first motorcycle.  I think the only thing too much about it is the 470 lb weight.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 12:20:58 AM »
It may be a good choice, since, unlike the title, this isn't your first motorcycle, but your first street bike. Riding dirt bikes makes a fine foundation for good riding.

After you take the MSF course and buy full protective gear, then comes the question of which bike.

The Empulse has been compared to a 650 twin, which, in my opinion, is a good amount of power for the street.

On the plus side is excellent handling, excellent stopping power, and clutchless stopping and starting. In most cities you can leave the bike in 2nd gear and not shift for most of your riding, giving you more focus on other aspect that should probably demand your attention... like cars, trucks, pedestrians, buses and taxi drivers (all of whom can be texting!) and bicycle riders, skate boarders, scooters, motorcycles, in addition to, of course, traffic signals, signage, and cops.

On the negative side, the one thing that may pose an issue for someone coming off smaller displacement dirt bikes (assuming that's your background) might be the instantly-available amount of torque. But, assuming you want to approach riding the streets sensibly (and stay alive), the Empulse offers an easy way to deal with your learning curve: leave the bike in Normal mode (necessary for break-in anyway) and start in 3rd gear. After that seems boring, start in 2nd gear, and, finally, in 1st gear. Then, after break-in is complete, you can experiment on quiet streets with Sport mode.

In short, the torque can be a handful, offering up chances to have to think fast and to stop fast. The bike is up to the task and you can be too if you just let you learn the basics that MSF offers, and allow your comfort zone to expand organically, avoiding the temptation to go all out from the first ride.  Quick starts have saved my bacon more than once and I highly recommend you learn at your own pace until you master the torque the bike so willingly offers.

Also on the negative side, if you're used to smaller machines, is the 470 lb. weight. This should be a concern only at parking lot speeds, because above 10 mph, I find the weight disappears into a well-balanced ride. The bike is very neutral in handling and pretty much goes where you think wanting it to. Test ride it and if the weight spooks you, consider a 250 cc bike or a Brammo Enertia.

But then I'm a 70-year-old who has managed to stay alive by not pushing the envelope too hard. I ride the bike every work day, all day long, in San Francisco and find it to be extremely capable for that task. Just ride this "Ultimate Street Fighter" without the fighting and you'll probably do just fine, or as fine as you'd do on an ICE bike.

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 08:35:40 AM »
This was my first street motorcycle and it was perfect for me. Although for me it was over 25 years since I rode anything as a kid before I got the Empulse R. With me having the basics down I took a basic riding course, practiced my slow maneuvers and throttle control, bought DVDs like "Ride Like a Pro" "Surviving the Mean Streets 2" and Keith Code "Twist of the Wrist" 1&2 to help educate myself about the safest way to ride on the streets.
The bike is really easy to ride handles like a dream and really makes for a great first street bike for someone like us who had some sort of riding experience but not on the street. Keep in mind although the Empulse R is a GREAT bike, it's not the fastest bike on the street but it is faster then 90% of the vehicles on the road and will definitely get out of its own way in a hurry.
My best advice for riding on the street is slow down, keep your head on a swivel, and ride like you're invisible.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 08:53:26 AM by Virtually Yours »
Actually Mine,
Empluse R

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 11:49:40 AM »
The bike is perfect for a beginner IMHO. This is my second bike that I've ridden more than a few miles (had a project electric bike that didn't get finished). I only had like 300 miles on my sv650 and considered myself a beginner. Then I got my Brammo.  Normal mode is forgiving and won't be too much for you. Handles great and easy to get used to.

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 12:18:18 PM »
Agree with Shocker, the weight is the only thing that prevents it from being an ideal first bike.  But I wouldn't let that stop you.  Harleys are many people's first bike, after all, and they are pigs in the weight department.  Also agree with Shiny and others that the flexibility of the motor gives a learning advantage typically not found on a gas bike. 

I would take the MSF course and avoid the driving test, which is good advice generally, but especially with the Empulse as it is not particularly agile at parking lot speeds.  I never took the test, but have always heard that it's tough sledding.

I have the standard Empulse and find that it's all I need for real world riding.  We are genetically programmed to want to buy anything with an "R" in the title, but with the Empulse, if your focus is on practicality rather than thrills, you can consider saving a couple thousand with the standard and, in my opinion, will not miss the difference.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 02:03:45 PM »
We are genetically programmed to want to buy anything with an "R" in the title, but with the Empulse, if your focus is on practicality rather than thrills, you can consider saving a couple thousand with the standard and, in my opinion, will not miss the difference.

In some cases, it may be a bit more than the "R" in the title
as in the case of Hunter S. Thompson's closing lines of "Song of the Sausage Creature":

"That is the attitude of the new-age superbike freak, and I am one of them. On some days they are about the most fun you can have with your clothes on. The Vincent just killed you a lot faster than a superbike will. A fool couldn't ride the Vincent Black Shadow more than once, but a fool can ride a Ducati 900 many times, and it will always be a bloodcurdling kind of fun. That is the Curse of Speed which has plagued me all my life. I am a slave to it. On my tombstone they will carve, "IT NEVER GOT FAST ENOUGH FOR ME."

http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html

(Fun reading, but I'd ACT on Adan's perspective!)

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 06:27:10 PM »
Thanks guys that has been a lot of help. NJ has two options for getting your endorsement and one involves the MSF course so that's the root I'll take. Also there is one they hold near me where they provide a helmet and bike for the course so I just have to bring myself and the appropriate clothing. So that's going to be my first step.

My only other concern with the Empulse is related to the weight. I'm not a big guy. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam so I'm not sure if the seat height is going to be too much or not. I guess that something I'm going to have to test drive to find out.

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 06:42:08 PM »
I'm 5 10 and it's fine for me. Legs slightly bent and feet flat on the ground at a stop. 36 inch inseam so I'm a bit bigger. I can lift the bike up without issues....and I'm no body builder.

Best thing is to throw a leg over one and try it out. It Def doesn't feel that heavy.

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 07:10:54 PM »
My only other concern with the Empulse is related to the weight. I'm not a big guy. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam so I'm not sure if the seat height is going to be too much or not. I guess that something I'm going to have to test drive to find out.
I'm 5'6" with a good pair of shoes and also where a 30" inseam and sit on the balls of my feet very comfortably. I'm almost flat footed but not quite. I don't feel as if the bike is to tall for me either. It's rather perfect for me actually.
Actually Mine,
Empluse R

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 07:25:39 PM »
That is good news. I'm not expecting to be flat footed. With so little options in the electric sport bike I'd hate my height to be a deal breaker. Lets me honest the Empulse fills a roll no other bike quite has yet (Zero R maybe close 2nd). I wasn't really interested in ever owning a bike until I saw the Empulse before it even had it's gearbox.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 07:29:03 PM by littlefreak3000 »

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 01:08:54 AM »
Don't worry about taking a test ride to test the seat height: go to your dealer and ask a sales person to hold the bars while you get on and try out the height. Balance in the shop, from left foot to right foot, and then center on both while the sales person lightly holds the bars just for security. Leave the kick stand down if you want.

Take your time, as long as it takes to find your answer, and don't worry about wasting the time of the salesperson because you're not!

By the end of this session, you will know if your body is a match for the Empulse's seat height and static weight. If you feel like you can master this part, the bike will only get lighter when it's moving. It sure sounds like you're motivated for this bike!

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 08:35:59 AM »
Go Demo one...latest from Brammo:

Brammo wants you to experience our award winning motorcycles. Visit your local dealer during the month of July for a free demo experience. If you take a demo ride on a Brammo during the month of July and purchase within 30 days of the demo ride, Brammo will make your first three payments on your Brammo purchase!

Nice deal...

G

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 06:04:32 PM »
My only qualm to having the Empulse be a first bike is its price. If price isn't any issue, an Empusle will be up there with the easiest bikes to ride - maybe behind a transmission-less Zero. As others have mentioned, leaving it in a high gear negates that issue, and allows for performance improvement as skill allows.

Have fun and be safe.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 08:16:17 PM »
The price isn't too bad considering it's electric save me money on my commutes to work. Also they have a lot of incentives right now. I think in NJ I don't have to pay taxes on it too. It all adds up lol.

I figured it either this or a Datsun 240z lol.

Anyone know if its worth haggling with salesman with these? Or is it pretty much MSRP or bust?