Author Topic: Range Anxiety?  (Read 3254 times)

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
Range Anxiety?
« on: November 23, 2011, 03:16:16 PM »
Range Anxiety?? Today I rode the Electric Motorcycle all the way to the Taj Mahal!

:)

Gavin

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
Re: Range Anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 04:33:45 PM »
This was a lunchtime trip to have lunch with my eldest and her husband...yummy...

At work I walked out to the garage and found a guy taking a photo of the bike....everyday I've either had people taking photos or asking questions or rolling down windows of cars and talking to me at red lights...crazy...Motorcycle people seem to really be interested in it and stop me to talk for way too long :)

Gavin

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 05:16:35 PM »
...everyday I've either had people taking photos or asking questions or rolling down windows of cars and talking to me at red lights...crazy...Motorcycle people seem to really be interested in it and stop me to talk for way too long :)

This still happens to me all the time. I answer tons of questions for motorcycle people who often ride right up next me. I have taken my Enertia to a few local restaurants and there is always notice a small crowd around the bike when I am leaving.

I interact with more people on my Enertia during my commute or errands than I would have thought. I think it is really cool that they are interested in electric motorcycles enough to want to talk about them.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 07:35:31 PM by Phantom »

hbrider

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 03:16:35 PM »
I had someguy stop me at an intersection on PCH, talked until the light turned green and I told him I had to go!!!  Been commuting about 10 miles one way 6 of those at full speed ie 60mph and I use exactly 1/2 my capacity.  Road on boulevards at 45mph and got out to 13 miles at about 44% capacity used.  Really fluctuates based on power used.  Fun bike, gets a load of attention wherever it goes, and is a real joy to ride.

Steve

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 03:55:20 PM »
Glad you're liking the ride....Everyday I get stopped, asked questions...Went to Cycle Gear yesterday and half the staff went outside to check out the Enertia.

As for the range...well if I could find a road that is 25 mph and no stops, I probably could get 40 miles...as is, I get about 33 in the city...less when I go fast...

I rarely take her over 50 as she is really a city rider for me...I did take the freeway yesterday to check that out...only went about 3 miles...did get her up to 66 mph and she stayed there...but couldn't get any faster...Not bad as the freeway in the city is 65 mph, so I wasn't lagging...but still would love a top speed of 70 or so...

Can't wait for the Plus...Love the ride, and she is perfect for my commute...but I love to take longer rides and our city is pretty big and spread out...I could easily use 50 to 60 plus miles of range for my Saturday and Sunday run about town days...200 miles would be better for my "let's hit the mountains" day, but that might be for the Enertia Plus Plus in a couple of years :)

Have fun, ride safe...

Gavin

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 04:00:46 PM »
Road on boulevards at 45mph and got out to 13 miles at about 44% capacity used.  Really fluctuates based on power used.  Fun bike, gets a load of attention wherever it goes, and is a real joy to ride.
Steve

For me I use about 15% of my battery to get to work (5.2 miles) and about 16-17% more to get home (slightly uphill and I probably ride a bit faster as it is much warmer---30s in AM, 50s or 60s in late afternoon...wonder want my use will be in summer?).

Haven't done a lot of highspeed riding...some longer trips around 50mph...

I find I usually can go around 30 miles before I start getting the warning that I'm getting pretty low...

Truthfully, I find range isn't an issue in my head as much as motor temp...I try to keep that below 160 or the fan comes on...I like the ride as quiet as possible...

Gavin

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 02:37:42 AM »
Well I've doubled the Enertia's mileage...arrived with 450 miles, now over 900....(photo taken before heading home, and two errands...sitting at 919 right now).

Basically 450 miles in 18 days...so 25 miles a day average...it is a blast... :)

Gavin

Which leads me to wonder who, outside of Brammo, has the most miles on their Enertia? Fan?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 02:40:07 AM by Gavin »

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 07:32:11 AM »
I know it won't be me.  I have less than 2,000.  It would have been a lot more than that, but I had to play dad-the-family-cab-driver.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 10:40:58 AM »
I should "break" 2000 right around the end of January... :)

Gavin

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 11:39:44 AM »
So did you break down and buy an Enertia, Gavin? I thought you test-rode one a while back, was still waiting for the test report.. guess it turned out okay : )
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 12:38:48 PM »
Test Report coming...Every time I sit down to write it I go on another ride to get more "data"...

I did promise Brammofan a complete report...have lots of hopefully good info and such...

Just easier to ride than write :)

I did have a number of small suggestions so far for Brammo...just little things to hopefully take the Enertia from Toyota quality to Lexus quality :)

It is really a solid little motorcycle.

Gavin

As for the Enertia, at the (insanely) kind offerings of Brammo I am basically doing an extended test ride. Not sure when they are going to ask for her back**, but in the mean time I'm going to put as many miles on her as I can...and yes, all my bikes are female...

**when they do ask for her back I wonder if I can pretend I didn't get their emails for a couple of more months :)   nahhh, they have been too good to me for that.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 12:52:48 PM »
on a semi related note...how would you like a Brammo that had 40,000 charges till 80% depletion?

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2011/november/longlife-power-storage-112311.html

Battery tech is gonna take off over the next few years...Motorcycles that go 400 miles on a charge and last 1 million miles...could be in less than 10 years...definitely by 15

crazy times ahead...good crazy :)

Gavin

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 01:52:37 PM »
As for the Enertia, at the (insanely) kind offerings of Brammo I am basically doing an extended test ride.

Gavin? Running tests for Brammo? So all of your pleas and promises to Brammo finally paid off? Congratulations! Does that mean you're going to redouble your efforts to become an Empulse/Enertia Plus tester? :P

I look forward to reading your report, as I'm sure are others.
(I.e. hurry up and write it already!)
Richard #935 #595 #44

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 03:55:36 PM »
As for the Enertia, at the (insanely) kind offerings of Brammo I am basically doing an extended test ride.

Gavin? Running tests for Brammo? So all of your pleas and promises to Brammo finally paid off? Congratulations! Does that mean you're going to redouble your efforts to become an Empulse/Enertia Plus tester? :P

I look forward to reading your report, as I'm sure are others.
(I.e. hurry up and write it already!)

Yes, guilt is hitting me...Starting review now...PROMISE to have it to 'Fan before the weekend....He can then decide to put it up here or at his site...or, if he is smart, burn any words I write...burn them with fire.

As for being a Plus tester...gah, I wish...but truthfully I would be more than happy to pay full price for the Plus and then just be an everyday rider and not somebody keeping notes on miles ridden, conditions, ride quality etc etc.

Gavin
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 03:58:09 PM by Gavin »

Vibetrippin

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 01:07:46 PM »
If Gavin doesn't want to keep track of distance travelled, conditions, and ride quality... I will gladly do it if it means getting my hands on one a little early.