Author Topic: Range Anxiety?  (Read 3255 times)

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
Re: Range Anxiety?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 01:19:31 PM »
:)

g

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 11:22:32 AM »

I look forward to reading your report, as I'm sure are others.
(I.e. hurry up and write it already!)

Be careful what you ask for...I am not a formal reviewer of, well anything...And my writing style is what I like to affectionately call "Tangental"...borderline (borederline? :) ) stream of consciousness....Basically I write a ton of stuff and then try to wrestle it into something vaguely linear and somewhat comprehensible...

Halfway done...hope to hand it off to Fan tomorrow for a Monday reveal...

Needless to say I will not be putting any formal reviewers out of work...

Gavin

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 05:52:57 PM »
ok...90% done. I will let everyone know that I am writing two versions...a Story Mode and an abridged Clift notes version...

Warning...the Clift notes version is 6 1/2 pages...so fear the Story Mode.

Gavin

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 11:55:13 AM »
I will say that to do distance riding (anything more than work commute and a few errands) does take some work and planning...especially in the winter. Which is why I really want the Plus :)

60 miles yesterday broke down like this:

5 miles to work. 5 miles at lunch (food and visit friends at Blue Smoke Garage and have them clean and tighten my chain)...back to work and charge the bike back to 100% (couldn't charge earlier as the temps were below 32 degrees)

After work I ride to an engagement party in Bosque Farms...22 miles at 40-45 mph average and in just above 32 degree weather took my battery down to about 25%.**

Host of party lets me charge in his garage. Charged back to 85% before leaving party and heading downtown...19.5 miles...Ride from Bosque Farms was right around 27-28 degrees. Mmmm, chilly during those 50 mph plus parts.

Got to Downtown around 8:30pm  and again battery is right around 25%**. Downtown was a bit warmer...35 degrees. Found out that the light posts downtown have 110 outlets!! Free Juice.

Visited with friends and family at the Blackbird Buvette for about an hour and got my charge up above 50%. Drove home at 9:30...7.5 miles....

60 total miles...charged 3 separate places...Charge anytime you can is my motto (made harder when temps are below 32 degrees...grrrr).

Gavin

**the battery is affected by the cold when below 30%...or at least the battery management is?? The battery gets kinda confused when it is at both a lower charge and in lower temps. Riding along above 30% and 10 miles range, suddenly at 20% and 5 miles range just moments later. Stop at a light and it goes up to 23%. Ride some more and it hits 15%...kinda back and forth. Got down to 12 percent...but when I stopped to charge it told me I was at 25%. Cold confuses it some...which is why I try and keep the battery as full as possible.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 11:57:42 AM by Gavin »

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 09:58:34 PM »
I've been meaning to ask you about the low-temp charging.  Is it that you don't charge because you read this in the owner's manual, or because you've tried it, and it doesn't work?  Or something else?
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 12:16:33 AM »
Good question...and relates to something I've been meaning to ask Brammo.

As a "tester" I was told fairly straight forward... "go ahead a drive at any temp...lower than stated in the manual? Go for it. It will be good test info as Oregon doesn't get that cold. But don't charge under 32 degrees."

So I don't charge when under 32 degrees.

But I do have a dilemma...what about this: it is 35 degree and I start charging...but overnight the temps drop below 32 degrees...so I should stop charging...the thing is, once charging the battery temp is always higher than air temp...so my garage could be 28 degrees (not often) but the bike shows 45 degrees because of charging...

Confusing. I think battery temp trumps air temp...but I ain't sure just yet till I hear from Brammo.

Gavin

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 11:11:44 AM »
Last weekend I didn't get to put many miles on the bike...I really thought the Holidays would be prime riding time, but Gah, way too much family stuff to do :)  It was, surprisingly, the least amount of miles I've ridden in a while...way less then when I was riding with a broken wrist :)

This weekend looks to be beautiful, if a bit chilly....but sunny and chilly is fine by me.

I hope to put another 200 miles on the bike before News Years weekend is over. (should put the odometer over 1500 miles on this Enertia...with more than 1000 of those miles put on by me....450 by the original owner and Brammo).

Photos to follow...Hitting the Zoo, Aquarium, Observatory and other places I can show off the Enertia to crowds of people....

Trying to "earn" my keep as a "tester"

Gavin

« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 11:15:03 AM by Gavin »

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2011, 10:47:39 AM »
Good question...and relates to something I've been meaning to ask Brammo.

But I do have a dilemma...what about this: it is 35 degree and I start charging...but overnight the temps drop below 32 degrees...so I should stop charging...the thing is, once charging the battery temp is always higher than air temp...so my garage could be 28 degrees (not often) but the bike shows 45 degrees because of charging...

Confusing. I think battery temp trumps air temp...but I ain't sure just yet till I hear from Brammo.

Battery temp trumps air temp, but what you're seeing displayed on the dash is psuedo-ambient air temp measured from a temperature sensor in the upper harness underneath the upper bodywork.  As long as it's above freezing when you start charging you will be fine.  The only case where it would be questionable is if you let the bike sit overnight in a below freezing garage and then started charging in sub-freezing temperatures.  There is a thermal mass to the batteries that take awhile to change temperature.  After a ride in almost any ambient temperature, they remain warm enough to charge for the 3-4 hours it will require. There is very little current flowing during the balancing phase, so no need to worry about this.  Hope that helps...

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2011, 10:59:18 AM »
Thanks!

Gavin