Author Topic: Brakes question...  (Read 1701 times)

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
Brakes question...
« on: September 12, 2010, 11:52:51 AM »
I come from the scooter world....I have a MP3 500, a cvt scooter...so no foot brake, front and back brakes are controlled by rt and lt handbrakes...I also have a Vespa clone 2 stroke, so a foot brake for the rear, a rt hand brake for the front brakes and a clutch on the left hand bar...

Why doesn't the Enertia and Empulse have the brake on the handles? Is it just to mimic motorcycles?

Seems that, when you don't have a clutch, that two hand brakes is better than one hand, one foot and a second hand doing nothing.

I don't mind a foot brake, heck half my motorized rides have it...but freeing up a foot can be a good thing at times, and everybody who has ever ridden a bicycle (like almost everybody in the world) would instantly know how to stop one.

Not a big issue, just wondering....

Gavin

Harlan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
    • Email
Re: Brakes question...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 01:04:36 PM »
I think most existing motorcycle riders would agree that they would prefer the standard brake setup that they are used to.  It can be confusing to have a lever there that is now a brake that is traditionally a clutch.

It also makes it easier to make that quick decision and braking control when you need to brake hard because too much rear braking will lock up your rear wheel and can lead to a dangerous situation.

With that said, I think it would be a great option to have to those riders who would prefer two hand brakes.  I've never had difficulty going from a scooter to a motorcycle and I've also owned bikes, like old British and Italian bikes, that have foot brake and shift lever on opposite sides and sometimes even a reverse shifting pattern.
Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
Re: Brakes question...
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 07:27:46 PM »
Yeah, when I added my auto scooter to my geared scooter I thought it might be an issue...but I have never yet grabbed the brake thinking it was the clutch. Nor grabbed the clutch thinking it was a brake.

Either is fine with me, I was just wondering if one was "better" than the other? Safer?

Having an option might be nice for adding city bicycle riders and automatic scooter riders to the Brammo family.

For me it is actually mostly about visual aesthetics...I hate seeing a naked left handle bar. Brake lever, clutch lever...either is fine with me, I just don't like looking and seeing no lever at all...

Gavin